Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Two hops...  (Read 5083 times)

Offline fmader

• Senior Brewmaster
Re: Two hops...
« Reply #45 on: April 05, 2014, 07:18:46 am »
Bulk is the way to go. I have a dedicated freezer for hops that's about full. Make sure you store your hops in the freezer. If you have a food savor, use that to reseal your hops after you use them. I think you'll like this combo if hops. Remember that Columbus and chinook are a stronger flavor of hop than centennial, which in turn is stronger than cascade. If you want to use them all at 0 min or dry hopping together in an IPA (which is great), you may want a 1:1:2:3 or 1:1:1.5:2 type of ration chinook:Columbus:cent:cascade. If equal parts, you won't taste the cascade at all.
Frank

Offline HoosierBrew

• I must live here
  • Indianapolis,IN
« Reply #46 on: April 05, 2014, 07:27:26 am »
Bulk is the way to go. I have a dedicated freezer for hops that's about full. Make sure you store your hops in the freezer. If you have a food savor, use that to reseal your hops after you use them. I think you'll like this combo if hops. Remember that Columbus and chinook are a stronger flavor of hop than centennial, which in turn is stronger than cascade. If you want to use them all at 0 min or dry hopping together in an IPA (which is great), you may want a 1:1:2:3 or 1:1:1.5:2 type of ration chinook:Columbus:cent:cascade. If equal parts, you won't taste the cascade at all.

Yep, Cascade loses out mixed equally with the big boys often times.  If you use only one big piney hop it can work sometimes. I like an equal mix of Amarillo/Cascade/Centennial/Columbus for IPAs, but get Chinook and Columbus together for the party and I back off on them a bit. That's where the fun is - the same list of hops in different ratios can be so different.
Jon H.

Offline dzlater

• Brewmaster
  • Dan S. New Jersey
« Reply #47 on: April 05, 2014, 06:43:16 pm »
Just bought 4 oz. of each of these. Never tried the Cluster or First Gold before.
Next a sack of grain.
Cascade
Mt. Hood
Challenger
Sterling
Target
Cluster
First Gold
Dan S. from NJ

Offline erockrph

• I must live here
  • Chepachet, RI
    • The Hop WHisperer
« Reply #48 on: April 05, 2014, 06:53:14 pm »
Just bought 4 oz. of each of these. Never tried the Cluster or First Gold before.
Next a sack of grain.
Cascade
Mt. Hood
Challenger
Sterling
Target
Cluster
First Gold

Challenger has become a recent favorite of mine and gets paired with EKGs in just about every English beer I brew. It has the typical earthy/marmalade UK hop profile, but I also get this cocoa butter/white chocolate note that is just awesome with an estery English yeast.
Eric B.

Finally got around to starting a homebrewing blog: The Hop Whisperer