Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Poll

What is your favorite bittering hop for American IPAs?

Cascade
0 (0%)
Centennial
1 (3.1%)
Columbus (CTZ)
16 (50%)
Magnum
6 (18.8%)
Simcoe
1 (3.1%)
Bravo
1 (3.1%)
Chinook
4 (12.5%)
Galena
3 (9.4%)
Northern Brewer
0 (0%)
EKG
0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 32

Author Topic: Favorite Bittering hop for AIPA  (Read 3664 times)

Offline HoosierBrew

• I must live here
  • Indianapolis,IN
Re: Favorite Bittering hop for AIPA
« Reply #15 on: April 01, 2014, 01:49:36 pm »
I like Columbus and Chinook pretty interchangeably for a pleasantly coarse IPA bitterness. Occasionally I'll use Warrior for a smoother bitterness if I use more late/dry hops than usual, but normally it's the former two.
Jon H.

Offline erockrph

• I must live here
  • Chepachet, RI
    • The Hop WHisperer
« Reply #16 on: April 01, 2014, 06:10:38 pm »
I like Columbus and Chinook pretty interchangeably for a pleasantly coarse IPA bitterness.

+1 - If I use a bittering addition, then it's usually one of the above. I use Nugget as well - it's not quite as coarse, but not as smooth as something like Magnum.
Eric B.

Finally got around to starting a homebrewing blog: The Hop Whisperer

Offline reverseapachemaster

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
    • Brain Sparging on Brewing
« Reply #17 on: April 02, 2014, 07:57:49 am »
I bought two pounds of Belma when they were first released so I've been using Belma to bitter all of my beers until I run out of the stuff.
Heck yeah I blog about homebrewing: Brain Sparging on Brewing

Offline hopfenundmalz

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Milford, MI
« Reply #18 on: April 02, 2014, 08:28:54 am »
I vote CTZ, but I also use Centennial for bittering a few IPAs.
Jeff Rankert
AHA Lifetime Member
BJCP National
Ann Arbor Brewers Guild
Home-brewing, not just a hobby, it is a lifestyle!

Offline erockrph

• I must live here
  • Chepachet, RI
    • The Hop WHisperer
« Reply #19 on: April 02, 2014, 11:48:58 am »
I bought two pounds of Belma when they were first released so I've been using Belma to bitter all of my beers until I run out of the stuff.

Yeah, I don't know what I'm going to do with the other 15 ounces I have left from the pound I bought. Not horrible, but nothing I have any real use for either.
Eric B.

Offline yso191

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Yakima, WA
« Reply #20 on: April 02, 2014, 02:00:55 pm »
I tried Belma too.  It is high enough in AA (10.4%) to be a bittering hop, but I was intrigued by the flavors ("very orange, slight grapefruit, tropical  pineapple, strawberry, and melon aroma.").  Unfortunately at only .8 for total oils you'd have to use a lot of it.  So it is now in the category of 'meh'.
« Last Edit: April 03, 2014, 10:08:53 am by yso191 »
Steve
BJCP #D1667

“Fallacies do not cease to be fallacies because they become fashions.” ― G.K. Chesterton

Offline erockrph

• I must live here
  • Chepachet, RI
    • The Hop WHisperer
« Reply #21 on: April 02, 2014, 09:36:29 pm »
I tried Belma too.  It is high enough in AA (10.4%) to be a bittering hop, but I was intrigued by the flavors ("very orange, slight grapefruit, tropical  pineapple, strawberry, and melon aroma.").  Unfortunately at only .08 for total oils you'd have to use a lot of it.  So it is now in the category of 'meh'.

I think you mean 0.8, right? Which is still pretty low for a modern IPA hop. And total oils isn't the final word. For example, Centennial has more total oil than Mosaic, but Mosaic is a much more dominant hop (at least to my palate). If Belma is truly 0.8 mL/100g oil, then that's the same as Motueka, which has a lot more flavor/aroma impact in my experience.

Total oil is a good starting point, but there is certainly a lot more going on that we just don't see good data for (or even understand yet).

Maybe I'll have to just use up all of my Belma in a small batch to see what happens if you really push the limits.
Eric B.

Offline el_capitan

• Brewer
« Reply #22 on: April 02, 2014, 09:40:54 pm »
I was also looking for Warrior.  That's been a great all-purpose bittering hop for me. 

My house IPA is made with all homegrown hops, and I like the Zeus quite a bit in that, so that's where I voted. 

Offline redbeerman

• Senior Brewmaster
  • On the banks of the mighty Susquehanna in MD
« Reply #23 on: April 03, 2014, 07:48:16 am »
I use CTZ most of the time.  When I'm not using that, it's usually Chinook.
CH3CH2OH - Without it, life itself would be impossible.

[441, 112.1deg] AR

Jim

Offline yso191

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Yakima, WA
« Reply #24 on: April 03, 2014, 10:07:55 am »
I tried Belma too.  It is high enough in AA (10.4%) to be a bittering hop, but I was intrigued by the flavors ("very orange, slight grapefruit, tropical  pineapple, strawberry, and melon aroma.").  Unfortunately at only .08 for total oils you'd have to use a lot of it.  So it is now in the category of 'meh'.

I think you mean 0.8, right? Which is still pretty low for a modern IPA hop. And total oils isn't the final word. For example, Centennial has more total oil than Mosaic, but Mosaic is a much more dominant hop (at least to my palate). If Belma is truly 0.8 mL/100g oil, then that's the same as Motueka, which has a lot more flavor/aroma impact in my experience.

Total oil is a good starting point, but there is certainly a lot more going on that we just don't see good data for (or even understand yet).

Maybe I'll have to just use up all of my Belma in a small batch to see what happens if you really push the limits.

Yike.  Good thing I'm not a lawyer.  Yes I do mean .8 for total oils.  And I will edit my post to reflect that.  Thanks for the catch.
Steve
BJCP #D1667

“Fallacies do not cease to be fallacies because they become fashions.” ― G.K. Chesterton

Offline chumley

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #25 on: April 03, 2014, 10:32:51 am »
I like Chinook and Warrior.  Another favorite not mentioned is Horizon.

I can't believe there are so many CTZ fans out there.  "Dank" is the perfect descriptor for that hop.

Offline 69franx

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Bloatarian Brewing League
« Reply #26 on: April 08, 2014, 10:37:26 am »
Still early in my brewing career, but of the 3 IPA's I have made(of 7 batches), all 3 used Columbus as the bittering charge. All 3 were nice and bitter, but the flavor components really have made the difference for my batches.
Frank L.
Fermenting: Nothing (ugh!)
Conditioning: Nothing (UGH!)
In keg: Nothing (Double UGH!)
In the works:  House IPA, Dark Mild, Ballantine Ale clone(still trying to work this one into the schedule)