Poll

What are your favorite flavor/Aroma hops for American IPAs?

Mosaic
3 (4%)
Citra
3 (4%)
Nelson Sauvin
2 (2.7%)
Amarillo
23 (30.7%)
Centennial
19 (25.3%)
Summit
0 (0%)
Columbus (CTZ)
4 (5.3%)
Falconers Flight
3 (4%)
Galaxy
1 (1.3%)
Brewers Gold
1 (1.3%)
Newport
0 (0%)
Bravo
0 (0%)
Millenium
0 (0%)
Super Galena
0 (0%)
Magnum
0 (0%)
Simcoe
10 (13.3%)
Nugget
0 (0%)
Cascade
6 (8%)

Total Members Voted: 38

Author Topic: Favorite Flavor/Aroma Hops for AIPAs  (Read 823 times)

Offline garc_mall

• Brewmaster
  • [1892.9, 294.9deg] AR Lynnwood, WA
    • View Profile
Re: Favorite Flavor/Aroma Hops for AIPAs
« Reply #15 on: April 01, 2014, 02:03:48 PM »
Wow, that shows how far things have come !  When I started, Cascade was the dominant LHBS hop by far for ales. Recipe books had Cascade in most recipes, appropriate or not.

I think that's a lot of why I got burned out on Cascade roughly a decade ago and haven't really used it much (at home) since. Not that there's anything wrong with it per se; I just feel like with the progress that's been made in hop breeding over the past few years, I can cherry-pick whatever aspect of Cascade I want in a particular recipe, and select another hop to get me there.

I like the fact that cascade has a bit of everything (Citrusy, flowery, touch of piney), and it just adds complexity while sticking with whatever I want. For Example, if I want a citrus bomb IPA, I can use Amarillo and Citra, and the flower and pine support the citrus, but make it more complex. If I go the other way, and use Simcoe and Chinook, I can use the citrus to give me some extra complexity. It is almost guaranteed that I will have Cascade in any American style I make.
In a Keg: Flanders Red Ale, Rye Altbier, Cascade/Topaz Pale
Fermenting: Flanders Red, Saison

Online HoosierBrew

• Official Poobah of No Life.
  • Indianapolis,IN
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: April 01, 2014, 03:03:10 PM »
Wow, that shows how far things have come !  When I started, Cascade was the dominant LHBS hop by far for ales. Recipe books had Cascade in most recipes, appropriate or not.

I think that's a lot of why I got burned out on Cascade roughly a decade ago and haven't really used it much (at home) since. Not that there's anything wrong with it per se; I just feel like with the progress that's been made in hop breeding over the past few years, I can cherry-pick whatever aspect of Cascade I want in a particular recipe, and select another hop to get me there.

I like the fact that cascade has a bit of everything (Citrusy, flowery, touch of piney), and it just adds complexity while sticking with whatever I want. For Example, if I want a citrus bomb IPA, I can use Amarillo and Citra, and the flower and pine support the citrus, but make it more complex. If I go the other way, and use Simcoe and Chinook, I can use the citrus to give me some extra complexity. It is almost guaranteed that I will have Cascade in any American style I make.

I agree. I don't use Cascade alone anymore, but I do like it in a blend. It is a unique blend of floral/citrus/slight pine, and I like those same combos for the same reasons. Amarillo/Cascade/Centennial/Columbus in the right ratio covers the spectrum for me, unless I go for a fruitier IPA , or occasionally a more piney one. It's another hop that plays well with pretty much everybody.
Jon H.

Offline fmader

• Senior Brewmaster
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: April 01, 2014, 04:04:23 PM »
Centennial and Simcoe
Frank

Offline ibru

• Assistant Brewer
  • Brew Day is My Day!
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: April 02, 2014, 09:35:43 AM »
 Voted for Cascade and Columbus (Chinook not on list), but like a variety using Cascade, Chinook, Columbus, Mosaic, Amarillo, Simcoe, Centennial alone or in combinations.

Offline redbeerman

• Senior Brewmaster
  • On the banks of the mighty Susquehanna in MD
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: April 03, 2014, 06:50:19 AM »
Amarillo and Centennial, Simcoe, and Citra too.
CH3CH2OH - Without it, life itself would be impossible.

[441, 112.1deg] AR

Jim

Offline reverseapachemaster

• Senior Brewmaster
    • View Profile
    • Brain Sparging on Brewing
« Reply #20 on: April 03, 2014, 08:18:27 AM »
No chinook? I really enjoy the pine/citrus mix in a pale or IPA.
Heck yeah I blog about homebrewing: Brain Sparging on Brewing but I'm also a lawyer: The Kielich Law Firm

Offline 69franx

• Brewmaster
  • Hidden Valley Lake, IN: Greater Cincinnati
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: April 08, 2014, 09:40:34 AM »
As stated in bittering comments, I have only made 3 IPA's so far. The Pliny clone(extract kit) with Simcoe, Amarillo, and Centennial was the clear choice among friends, but I like my all first all grain attempt at style with Amarillo and Cascade best for flavor so far. Cant wait to expand my hop experiences with all the other wonderful hops you all recommend here!
Frank Laske
Franx Brew Works
Fermenting: The Queen's Diamonds EBW, Ringler Pilsner from Ron Price recipe in the wiki
Conditioning:
In Bottles: BCS Dunkel, Bock Me traditional Bock, Nothing Special About It (ordinary, now Special Bitter)
In the works: House IPA, You're my Hero Hazelnut Double Brown, , "Barky Pilsner" also from