Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Carbonation  (Read 2081 times)

Offline BobM

• 1st Kit
Carbonation
« on: March 30, 2014, 10:18:49 am »
I bottled my first brew 2 weeks ago and added sugar drops. I then capped them and put them in the fridge which I now know didn't produce carbonation. Can I take them out of the fridge and let them sit for a few weeks hoping for carbonation?

Offline Stevie

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
Re: Carbonation
« Reply #1 on: March 30, 2014, 10:21:54 am »
Should be fine. Might take a little while for the yeasties to wake up.

Offline BobM

• 1st Kit
« Reply #2 on: March 30, 2014, 11:00:13 am »
Thanks Steve, I just took over the upstairs bathtub, it is now the aging bottle area.

Offline Joe Sr.

• Chicago - NORTH SIDE
« Reply #3 on: March 31, 2014, 07:55:04 am »
I would turn the bottles upside down and then back a couple of times to make sure the yeast is in suspension.  And keep the bottles around 68 degrees or so.
It's all in the reflexes. - Jack Burton

Offline duboman

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #4 on: March 31, 2014, 02:12:44 pm »
I would turn the bottles upside down and then back a couple of times to make sure the yeast is in suspension.  And keep the bottles around 68 degrees or so.

+1, rousing the yeast will wake them up a bit faster with the warmer temps. IMO, you can go 70-80 degrees for bottle conditioning with no ill effects but definitely higher than the mid to low 60's or they'll take forever!
Peace....Love......Beer......

The Commune Brewing Company-Perfecting the craft of beer since 2010

Offline euge

• I must live here
  • Ego ceruisam ad bibere cervisiam
« Reply #5 on: March 31, 2014, 05:54:57 pm »
Definitely a learning experience. A mere hiccup. Welcome to the hobby. :D
The first principle is that you must not fool yourself, and you are the easiest person to fool. -Richard P. Feynman

Laws are spider-webs, which catch the little flies, but cannot hold the big ones. -Anacharsis

Offline Steve L

• Brewmaster
  • Rocky Mount, VA
« Reply #6 on: March 31, 2014, 07:09:13 pm »
My go to spot is the closet where my water heater is. It maintains a steady 75 degrees year round. I get a good carb in about 2 weeks. ;)
Corripe Cervisiam

Online dmtaylor

• Lord Idiot the Lazy
    • YEAST MASTER Perma-Living
« Reply #7 on: April 01, 2014, 07:32:19 am »
I always set mine on top of my computer desk or refrigerator -- tends to be a little warmer in those places from the heat given off.  Mid 70s to 80 F is fastest and not detrimental as long as you cool them off again as soon as they are fully carbonated.
Dave

The world will become a much more pleasant place to live when each and every one of us realizes that we are all idiots.

Offline HoosierBrew

• I must live here
  • Indianapolis,IN
« Reply #8 on: April 01, 2014, 07:33:29 am »
  Mid 70s to 80 F is fastest and not detrimental as long as you cool them off again as soon as they are fully carbonated.

+1
Jon H.

Offline BobM

• 1st Kit
« Reply #9 on: April 06, 2014, 05:25:56 am »
Joe Sr. I was wondering about that, I turned half of them over yesterday and left the other half the same as a test, I'm going to do the rest. Thanks.

Offline BobM

• 1st Kit
« Reply #10 on: April 06, 2014, 05:31:25 am »
Duboman, Euge and DM, thanks for the insight. It's a learning experience which is why I'm doing one gallon batches before I jump to anything larger.

Offline duboman

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #11 on: April 06, 2014, 10:14:35 am »
Duboman, Euge and DM, thanks for the insight. It's a learning experience which is why I'm doing one gallon batches before I jump to anything larger.

It's a constant learning experience and that's the fun of this great hobby. Experimenting with new things and creating new beers is really the fun of it all. Once you get your process refined everything becomes easier!

Cheers!
Peace....Love......Beer......

The Commune Brewing Company-Perfecting the craft of beer since 2010