Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: White Labs 070 bourbon yeast  (Read 2273 times)

Offline jimrod

• Assistant Brewer
White Labs 070 bourbon yeast
« on: April 02, 2014, 08:15:16 am »
Has anyone used this WLP 070 Bourbon yeast to make beer or mead or cider? 80% attenuation.
I thought it would give some interesting characteristics to a cider. Any comments?
The liver is evil and must be punished

Offline hoser

• Brewmaster
Re: White Labs 070 bourbon yeast
« Reply #1 on: April 02, 2014, 12:25:37 pm »
I am considering using it in a Kentucky Common, but have yet to do it.

Offline Jimmy K

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Delaware
« Reply #2 on: April 02, 2014, 12:58:10 pm »
It might, though in my experience the characteristics listed for a wine/beer/cider yeast don't necessarily show up in another category. I think the flavor precursors just aren't there. Won't hurt to try though!

Sent from my XT1030 using Tapatalk

Delmarva United Homebrewers - President by inverse coup - former president ousted himself.
AHA Member since 2006
BJCP Certified: B0958

Offline jimrod

• Assistant Brewer
« Reply #3 on: April 11, 2014, 07:54:37 am »
I panicked, couldn't get the bourbon yeast to start fast enough, there was no action within the first 36 hours.
Famous last words," I should have made a starter''........I ended up ALSO using 4 packages of Lavlin 71B- 1122.
Now this should be interesting.

The liver is evil and must be punished

Offline twigpig

• 1st Kit
« Reply #4 on: February 01, 2015, 10:16:40 am »
Not sure if this topic is dead or not, but thought I'd throw something in. We were very curious about this yeast after tasting at White Labs last year. They had a flight with the same beer fermented with four different yeasts, one being the bourbon yeast. That got us started thinking. We brewed an extra large batch of milk stout yesterday. After transferring the main batch to the boil we had enough wort for a second 5 gallon batch, no lactose. I pitched the bourbon yeast last night and about two hours later it had already started. This morning it was flying.

I'll keep my eye in this post in case there is interest and report back the results.

Cheers.

Offline Footballandhops

• Assistant Brewer
« Reply #5 on: April 12, 2015, 09:36:24 pm »
I've got a Baltic Porter with a 1.104 original gravity fermenting away with WLP070 Bourbon yeast. I will report back later, very excited about this though...
Batch Sparging Bottle Dreggggg Harvesting Son-ova Biznatch Raging Against the Machine

https://itun.es/us/PN5dq?i=269457903

Offline Footballandhops

• Assistant Brewer
« Reply #6 on: April 12, 2015, 09:36:58 pm »

Not sure if this topic is dead or not, but thought I'd throw something in. We were very curious about this yeast after tasting at White Labs last year. They had a flight with the same beer fermented with four different yeasts, one being the bourbon yeast. That got us started thinking. We brewed an extra large batch of milk stout yesterday. After transferring the main batch to the boil we had enough wort for a second 5 gallon batch, no lactose. I pitched the bourbon yeast last night and about two hours later it had already started. This morning it was flying.

I'll keep my eye in this post in case there is interest and report back the results.

Cheers.
How did it turn out?
Batch Sparging Bottle Dreggggg Harvesting Son-ova Biznatch Raging Against the Machine

Offline Footballandhops

• Assistant Brewer
White Labs 070 bourbon yeast
« Reply #7 on: April 30, 2015, 08:20:39 pm »
If anyone is curious my Baltic Porter I fermented with WLP 070 finished at 10.5%abv, and you would have no idea how strong it is by tasting it. Strong residual sweet malty backbone with this yeast...I will keep the slurry around and get a few more batches out of it....

The recipe is straight out of brewing classic styles if anyone wants to buy the book and give it a go...I have not had a bad tasting beer when I use those recipes...I use the all grain recipes btw
« Last Edit: April 30, 2015, 08:22:59 pm by heavydeadlifts »