Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: How did the brew weekend go?!  (Read 5714 times)

Offline breslinp

• Cellarman
Re: How did the brew weekend go?!
« Reply #30 on: April 08, 2014, 04:53:32 pm »
After killing my back hauling branches from this winter's ice storm, I decided why not completely wreck it and brew my sour session.

Saison base (pils and munich), with 20% oats, meyer lemons and tangerines (zest and juice). 48 hours with the lacto and it's already from 1.038 to 1.012. Time to crash to 62F and add the Brett C. Finished with Amarillo dry hops.

It finished at 1.006 the first time around and tastes like a Shandy.

My back was not happy Monday morning.  ;D

Offline gmac

• Brewmaster General
  • London, Ontario
« Reply #31 on: April 08, 2014, 05:25:02 pm »
After killing my back hauling branches from this winter's ice storm, I decided why not completely wreck it and brew my sour session.

Saison base (pils and munich), with 20% oats, meyer lemons and tangerines (zest and juice). 48 hours with the lacto and it's already from 1.038 to 1.012. Time to crash to 62F and add the Brett C. Finished with Amarillo dry hops.

It finished at 1.006 the first time around and tastes like a Shandy.

My back was not happy Monday morning.  ;D

That's sounds amazing.

Offline dbarber

• Brewer
« Reply #32 on: April 08, 2014, 06:37:57 pm »
No brewing last weekend.  Spent Saturday judging the 1st round of the NHC in Philly. This weekend I'll fire up the kettle and brew an American barleywine.
Dave Barber
Orwigsburg, PA
AHA Member, BJCP National

Offline dcb

• Assistant Brewer
  • Num, me vexo?
« Reply #33 on: April 08, 2014, 07:54:41 pm »
I brewed a Brown Porter(1.050) and used Wyeast 1728. I can't remember the last time I made a Porter under 1.060.

I'm curious to know why you chose to go lower.  Personally, I get tired of over the top OG/ABV/IBU etc etc etc. A well-made 1.050 beer could be most enjoyable, but it seems like you're bucking the trend.

Offline hopfenundmalz

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Milford, MI
« Reply #34 on: April 08, 2014, 09:07:38 pm »
Kegged a Kiwanda inspired Cream Ale, aroma is spot-on. I'll carb up a sample this evening and see how it stands up to the original. Checked up on a Maudite inspired BDSA that is coming along nicely.
Can you post your recipe, procedures somewhere on the board. I have done one a few times, would like to compareotes.
Jeff Rankert
AHA Lifetime Member
BJCP National
Ann Arbor Brewers Guild
Home-brewing, not just a hobby, it is a lifestyle!

Offline dannyjed

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Toledo, OH
« Reply #35 on: April 09, 2014, 05:41:43 am »
I brewed a Brown Porter(1.050) and used Wyeast 1728. I can't remember the last time I made a Porter under 1.060.

I'm curious to know why you chose to go lower.  Personally, I get tired of over the top OG/ABV/IBU etc etc etc. A well-made 1.050 beer could be most enjoyable, but it seems like you're bucking the trend.
Same reason here.
Dan Chisholm

Offline Pinski

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Portland, Oregon
« Reply #36 on: April 09, 2014, 08:26:29 am »
Kegged a Kiwanda inspired Cream Ale, aroma is spot-on. I'll carb up a sample this evening and see how it stands up to the original. Checked up on a Maudite inspired BDSA that is coming along nicely.
Can you post your recipe, procedures somewhere on the board. I have done one a few times, would like to compareotes.

I'd be happy to Jeff, it may be tomorrow evening before I can get to it but I'll let you know when it's posted.
Steve Carper
Green Dragon Brewers
Clubs: Oregon Brew Crew & Strange Brew
BJCP Certified