Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: NHC 2014  (Read 12912 times)

Offline johnf

• Brewer
Re: NHC 2014
« Reply #15 on: April 03, 2014, 12:32:54 pm »
I've had a beer score in the 20s and then go on to win BOS at a large competition. Also had a beer score in the 20s then place 3rd in the NHC 1st round then place 1st in the NHC second round.

I would not put to much stock in a single score regardless of what it is. If you are interest in feedback it is better to enter the same beer many times than many beers once. You'll converge on a consensus with enough scoresheets.

The scores themselves are hard to interpret. Some judges are generous, some are harsh. New judges tend to be afraid to get too far away from a 35 in either direction and lump everything around there.

Offline theDarkSide

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Derry, NH
« Reply #16 on: April 03, 2014, 12:33:40 pm »
For those who were judged already, are the results posted under your login at www.brewingcompetition.com ?
Seacoast Homebrew Club - Portsmouth, NH
AHA Member
Stephen Mayo
------------------------------------------------

Offline Qhrumphf

• 1st Kit
  • Stay Rude, Stay SHARP
« Reply #17 on: April 03, 2014, 12:35:16 pm »
For those who were judged already, are the results posted under your login at www.brewingcompetition.com ?

I haven't seen the KC results up there yet.

I've had a beer score in the 20s and then go on to win BOS at a large competition. Also had a beer score in the 20s then place 3rd in the NHC 1st round then place 1st in the NHC second round.

I would not put to much stock in a single score regardless of what it is. If you are interest in feedback it is better to enter the same beer many times than many beers once. You'll converge on a consensus with enough scoresheets.

The scores themselves are hard to interpret. Some judges are generous, some are harsh. New judges tend to be afraid to get too far away from a 35 in either direction and lump everything around there.

Unless this was in the past, I thought that NHC was one of the few comps where placement/advancement DID require a score above 30.

Offline braufessor

• Brewer
« Reply #18 on: April 03, 2014, 01:15:28 pm »

I got my scores in the mail today from KC.  I have not seen them posted in entry site, or anywhere else yet. 

On a happy note - got two through (Dortmunder and Mild) :)

Offline udubdawg

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #19 on: April 03, 2014, 02:08:50 pm »

I got my scores in the mail today from KC.  I have not seen them posted in entry site, or anywhere else yet. 

first or third for the mild?  both were very good...
congrats

Offline johnf

• Brewer
« Reply #20 on: April 03, 2014, 02:46:42 pm »

Unless this was in the past, I thought that NHC was one of the few comps where placement/advancement DID require a score above 30.

20s in a different competition, third place in the first round with a score over 30, first place in the second round.

Offline braufessor

• Brewer
« Reply #21 on: April 03, 2014, 04:20:14 pm »

first or third for the mild?  both were very good...
congrats

Mild placed 3rd

Dort placed first, which surprised me a bit. Just hoping it would make it through.

Offline Qhrumphf

• 1st Kit
  • Stay Rude, Stay SHARP
« Reply #22 on: April 03, 2014, 05:17:48 pm »

20s in a different competition, third place in the first round with a score over 30, first place in the second round.

Ok, that makes more sense.

I had a Düsseldorf Alt score 40, but either didn't advance, or they didn't write the placement on the score sheet. Did mark of mini-BOS though. I'm happy with the score, but disappointed that didn't come with a placement. My Weizenbock scored 34. Wish that was a little higher, but it's not a terrible score.

Offline nukebrewer

• 1st Kit
« Reply #23 on: April 03, 2014, 05:38:43 pm »
Anyone know the status of judging in NYC?  I was there judging on Saturday, but I know we didn't get through all the categories.  There was talk of finishing the judging that night, but I don't know if that panned out.  I had to get on the road back to CT before I could find out any more details.

Offline duxx

• Cellarman
  • Good Karma Brewing, Warrensburg, MO
« Reply #24 on: April 03, 2014, 08:50:36 pm »
Hey all, I'm the KC NHC site director

too bad the voting didn't last one more week...your and your team's excellent performance in the First Round might have gotten you more Governing Committee votes.  or maybe you didn't need any more.   8)

thanks for your hard work--
--Michael

Yes, I sure could have used the extra votes!  Got an "I regret to inform you" email from Jake Keeler yesterday.  Maybe next year?  I hear, third times a charm?
"Tan and lean like a longneck bottle."  Zac Brown Band.

Offline michaeltrego

• Cellarman
« Reply #25 on: April 04, 2014, 05:52:59 am »
Anyone know the status of judging in NYC?

According the NYC coordinator, they should be mailed out at some point next week.

Offline darwin18

• 1st Kit
« Reply #26 on: April 04, 2014, 06:02:47 am »
Has anyone heard if the score sheets for Nashville have been sent out?  I only ask because their competition was last weekend, although I believe they may still have a few categories to finish up.

Thanks

Paul
BJCP #F0684 - Certified

Offline amsteele81

• 1st Kit
« Reply #27 on: April 04, 2014, 10:28:50 am »
Has anyone heard if the score sheets for Nashville have been sent out?  I only ask because their competition was last weekend, although I believe they may still have a few categories to finish up.

Thanks

Paul

It took over a month to get Music City Brew-Off score sheets back, IIRC. I think the same club is running the show for the NHC.

Offline udubdawg

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #28 on: April 04, 2014, 04:53:33 pm »

just spoke to the person I know won Category 9; his cover sheet wasn't marked either.  I think it's pretty safe to say you finished 3rd/should brew that 70/- again.
congrats--
--Michael

Offline Qhrumphf

• 1st Kit
  • Stay Rude, Stay SHARP
« Reply #29 on: April 04, 2014, 05:10:40 pm »

just spoke to the person I know won Category 9; his cover sheet wasn't marked either.  I think it's pretty safe to say you finished 3rd/should brew that 70/- again.
congrats--
--Michael

I know it wasn't directed to me, but unless anyone's got any special information regarding category 7 to tell me otherwise, that's got my hopes up if other finalists didn't have their sheets marked.