Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: NHC 2014  (Read 12913 times)

Offline braufessor

• Brewer
Re: NHC 2014
« Reply #30 on: April 04, 2014, 06:32:32 pm »

I got my scores in the mail today from KC.  I have not seen them posted in entry site, or anywhere else yet. 

On a happy note - got two through (Dortmunder and Mild) :)
[/quote]

just spoke to the person I know won Category 9; his cover sheet wasn't marked either.  I think it's pretty safe to say you finished 3rd/should brew that 70/- again.
congrats--
--Michael
[/quote]

That would be awesome.  I will be cautiously optimistic and put it on the brew schedule in the next week or two.
Thanks!

Offline cmack15

• 1st Kit
  • Been all grain brewing for 3 years, Ya'll heard
« Reply #31 on: April 04, 2014, 07:25:49 pm »
Anyone have an idea how long it will take for New York results to get posted?  This is my first year doing NHC so it is all new to me.
Cheers and good luck
A man's life is measured by the quality of beers that he drinks.

Offline ynotbrusum

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
« Reply #32 on: April 05, 2014, 02:43:12 pm »
I got my results from KC in the mail today.  I feel great in that I got a 38 for my Helles that was recently judged in another competition as flawed with DMS and diacetyl, which was not present in any of the other bottles I have consumed since that comp.  My other beer was a Flanders Red which I felt could have been scored even lower, since it is a blend and still young, comparatively - but it still got a 32, so I am pleased.  Maybe the Helles sample in the other contest just got mishandled... Anyway, great job getting the results out KC organizers and judges!

I now can't wait for the NHC and club night to check out some truly outstanding homebrew. :)
Hodge Garage Brewing: "Brew with a glad heart!"

Offline darwin18

• 1st Kit
« Reply #33 on: April 07, 2014, 08:47:20 am »
Nashville is apparently still working on finishing up the last few categories.  They just posted on their Facebook page a call for judges including:

FINAL NHC JUDGING SESSION!!!!
I need any and all available judges (or newbies who want to judge or learn to judge) on Tuesday 4/8/14 @ Rebel 6pm. Also need a couple stewards as well. If u can make it out, PLEASE DO! Let me or Jonathan Adams know if you can make it. We will be judging English Browns and Meads.

Newbies who want to judge or learn to judge on $14 entries.  Outstanding.  Mental note for 2015 - Request KC site.
BJCP #F0684 - Certified

Offline AmandaK

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Redbird Brewhouse
« Reply #34 on: April 07, 2014, 09:01:36 am »
Nashville is apparently still working on finishing up the last few categories.  They just posted on their Facebook page a call for judges including:

I need any and all available judges (or newbies who want to judge or learn to judge) on Tuesday 4/8/14 @ Rebel 6pm. Also need a couple stewards as well. If u can make it out, PLEASE DO! Let me or Jonathan Adams know if you can make it. We will be judging English Browns and Meads.

Newbies who want to judge or learn to judge on $14 entries.  Outstanding.  Mental note for 2015 - Request KC site.

I shouldn't laugh at this, but... Hahahaha. Thank you for that. :)

Sad thing is, we only had 570 entries show up in KC. If people outside of the Midwest realized that we are indeed serious about running the best comps we possibly can, we would probably be near the 750 limit.
Amanda Burkemper
KC Bier Meisters Lifetime Member - KCBM 3x AHA Club of the Year!!
BJCP Assistant (to the) Midwest Rep
BJCP Grand Master/Mead/Cider

Our Homebrewed Wedding, AHA Article

Offline darwin18

• 1st Kit
« Reply #35 on: April 07, 2014, 09:04:22 am »
Amanda, I recall that the 2013 KC site was also well run.  I considered requesting it this year but thought that it might be too far from NC.  Definitely going to be requesting it in 2015 after seeing how well run it was the last couple years. 
BJCP #F0684 - Certified

Offline fmader

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #36 on: April 07, 2014, 09:10:02 am »

I shouldn't laugh at this, but... Hahahaha. Thank you for that. :)

Sad thing is, we only had 570 entries show up in KC. If people outside of the Midwest realized that we are indeed serious about running the best comps we possibly can, we would probably be near the 750 limit.

I'll keep this in mind next year since my entries turned up missing after being delivered to my site. Ugh
Frank

Offline AmandaK

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Redbird Brewhouse
« Reply #37 on: April 07, 2014, 09:17:19 am »
Amanda, I recall that the 2013 KC site was also well run.  I considered requesting it this year but thought that it might be too far from NC.  Definitely going to be requesting it in 2015 after seeing how well run it was the last couple years.

Both times ran by Steve Cook as site director (duxx20 on here).
Amanda Burkemper
KC Bier Meisters Lifetime Member - KCBM 3x AHA Club of the Year!!
BJCP Assistant (to the) Midwest Rep
BJCP Grand Master/Mead/Cider

Our Homebrewed Wedding, AHA Article

Offline udubdawg

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #38 on: April 07, 2014, 09:36:00 am »

Both times ran by Steve Cook as site director (duxx20 on here).

runs a tight ship.  Really cares about this competition.  Hopefully he'll get the votes for AHA GC next year...

Offline theDarkSide

• Derry, NH
« Reply #39 on: April 07, 2014, 09:58:24 am »
Philly also runs a great competition.  I was a little disappointed last year they didn't host a 1st round comp, but since they were the NHC host, I understand why they didn't.
Seacoast Homebrew Club - Portsmouth, NH
AHA Member
Stephen Mayo
------------------------------------------------

Offline hopfenundmalz

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Milford, MI
« Reply #40 on: April 07, 2014, 10:12:22 am »
We were at Zanesville over the weekend. Mrs. R worked as a steward, I judged. Had a fun time. Saw many that we knew, met some new people, will see many at the NHC in GR.

It is a well run competition, Big Frank does a great job as organizer, Bill and the rest of the team work hard, and they had the envelopes stuffed with score sheets by the time for pizza and the raffle. Good job.

I had 4 in, and while none were under 30, none advanced. Two went to mini-BOS, but did not advance. Both of those were scored at 40.5, so there were even better beers on the table. Not the first time we have struck out, but there is always next year. Just have to brew a little better next year.

On the plus side, Saturday before NHC Mrs. R will be in GR to sort bottles at the 2nd round drop of site, as she is head Steward. Now I can pitch in and help, as I have no conflicts of interest with beers in the second round.

Jeff Rankert
AHA Lifetime Member
BJCP National
Ann Arbor Brewers Guild
Home-brewing, not just a hobby, it is a lifestyle!

Offline braufessor

• Brewer
« Reply #41 on: April 07, 2014, 10:27:59 am »
Shhhhhhhh......... Quit telling everyone how well the KC site is run - now it is going to fill up right away next year ;)

I did pick that site for three reasons though this year-
1.) I knew it did not fill up right away last year, and figured if there were too many entries, it might be a good first choice.
2.) It was an early regional, and I figured I would know my results sooner and it would work out better with the age of the beers I was sending.
3.)Positive experiences with other comps run by the same people. 

All of those thoughts ended up working out as I had anticipated.

In fairness, it was actually kind of a hard choice - I am about the same distance from Milwaukee, KC and St. Paul - all 3 of those groups consistently run great competitions.  Also, Drunk Monk is a well run comp. and I assume that is the same people that are doing the Chicago site.  I sent to St. Paul last year and had no complaints.  I don't have personal experience further east or west for the most part, but, I do think all of the midwest locations are very well-staffed and well-run.

Offline udubdawg

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #42 on: April 07, 2014, 10:34:32 am »
I had 4 in, and while none were under 30, none advanced. Two went to mini-BOS, but did not advance. Both of those were scored at 40.5, so there were even better beers on the table. Not the first time we have struck out, but there is always next year. Just have to brew a little better next year.

great scores.  sounds like tough competition.  What categories were they?

Offline hopfenundmalz

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Milford, MI
« Reply #43 on: April 07, 2014, 11:21:32 am »

great scores.  sounds like tough competition.  What categories were they?
5c Doppelbock.
9e Strong Scoth Ale

The others were a German Pils and a Munich Dunkel.

I will enjoy drinking those those summer, if summer ever comes to MI.
Jeff Rankert
AHA Lifetime Member
BJCP National
Ann Arbor Brewers Guild
Home-brewing, not just a hobby, it is a lifestyle!

Offline ynotbrusum

« Reply #44 on: April 07, 2014, 08:05:40 pm »
Well done Jeff.  I got a 32 on a Flanders that isn't quite done yet, but it still managed a 32, despite being young and FLAT!  I tried those Prime Dose tablets and they didn't work quickly enough to carb up the samples I sent, despite being warmed for two weeks at 74F with a digital heat wrap before being sent.  The positive side is I can let the few other bottled ones take more time to carb and see how they are.  I got great feedback and that was all I hoped for.  On a Helles I got a 38 which didn't advance, but I'm happy with that score as it was overcarbed and thus had a carbonic bite...again great feedback from KC.  Thanks judges, stewards and comp site organizers!!!
Hodge Garage Brewing: "Brew with a glad heart!"