Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: NHC 2014  (Read 12940 times)

Offline ranchovillabrew

• Brewer
Re: NHC 2014
« Reply #45 on: April 07, 2014, 09:26:26 pm »
Anyone know when Seattle is sending out results?

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

- Charles

Offline theDarkSide

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Derry, NH
« Reply #46 on: April 08, 2014, 06:11:42 am »
Rumor has it that Philly mailed out their scoresheets yesterday.

Seattle, in the past, always had a quick turnaround so I'd bet they are in the mail or soon will be.
Seacoast Homebrew Club - Portsmouth, NH
AHA Member
Stephen Mayo
------------------------------------------------

Offline udubdawg

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #47 on: April 08, 2014, 06:26:27 am »
naturally my little-too-roasty schwarzbier that medaled last year was the one that didn't qualify this year.  I guess everyone else stepped up their game.   8)

Offline epic1856

• 1st Kit
« Reply #48 on: April 08, 2014, 08:51:13 am »
I judged in San Diego over the weekend. A couple of thoughts and observations;
I judged IPA and American Ales

About 90 IPA's were judged, About 20 advanced to a mini-BOS.

About 60 American Ales were judged, 15-18 advanced to mini-BOS

This is the first time I used the "Checklist" Scoresheets. I like them. At first I was hesitant, but I think they are effective. Talking to other judges, they had the same sentiment.

If you want to have better odds on advancing to the 2nd round, brew lagers, ciders, and meads. Most of them had less than 10 entries per category. I believe the Pilsner category only had 5 entries.

Quaff and the local organizers run a great 1st round. They get a lot of judges. For the IPA category, they had 22 judges and most if not all were BJCP certified. I don't think any judges judged more than 10 beers per flight.

Offline hopfenundmalz

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Milford, MI
« Reply #49 on: April 08, 2014, 08:57:07 am »

This is the first time I used the "Checklist" Scoresheets. I like them. At first I was hesitant, but I think they are effective. Talking to other judges, they had the same sentiment.

If you want to have better odds on advancing to the 2nd round, brew lagers, ciders, and meads. Most of them had less than 10 entries per category. I believe the Pilsner category only had 5 entries.

Quaff and the local organizers run a great 1st round. They get a lot of judges. For the IPA category, they had 22 judges and most if not all were BJCP certified. I don't think any judges judged more than 10 beers per flight.

I don't know how many Pilsners were at Zanesville, but the had at least 2 judge pairs for category 2. I entered 3 lagers, but that didn't really help. I brew a lot of lagers, as those are what we like in the summer on the deck. I like the ones we entered a lot, but the judges didn't.

Will me first round entries per category per site be posted?

Jeff Rankert
AHA Lifetime Member
BJCP National
Ann Arbor Brewers Guild
Home-brewing, not just a hobby, it is a lifestyle!

Offline udubdawg

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #50 on: April 08, 2014, 09:15:41 am »

Will first round entries per category per site be posted?

they were last year and I suspect will be again. 

...man, 90 IPAs.  that's a lot of disappointed brewers of great beer. 
I would be the first to admit I focused on categories with less insane competition levels.  2x Dark lager, 2x Cider.

Offline epic1856

• 1st Kit
« Reply #51 on: April 08, 2014, 09:33:03 am »

I would be the first to admit I focused on categories with less insane competition levels.  2x Dark lager, 2x Cider.

I just looked at the judge assignment which have the entry counts per category. These were the low count.
Cat 1: 11 entries
Cat 2: 5 entries
Cat 3: 8 entries
Cat 4: 10 entries
Cat 7: 12 entries
Cat 27: 5 entries
Car 28: 6 entries
Cat 24: 5 entries

I'm curious how the other regions have their entries broken down by category. I've been wondering with the 4 beers per entrant if this has changed the type beers people are entering.

Offline theDarkSide

• Derry, NH
« Reply #52 on: April 08, 2014, 09:52:18 am »

I just looked at the judge assignment which have the entry counts per category. These were the low count.
Cat 1: 11 entries
Cat 2: 5 entries
Cat 3: 8 entries
Cat 4: 10 entries
Cat 7: 12 entries
Cat 27: 5 entries
Car 28: 6 entries
Cat 24: 5 entries

I'm curious how the other regions have their entries broken down by category. I've been wondering with the 4 beers per entrant if this has changed the type beers people are entering.

Damn...I like those odds in the cider categories...should have shipped them there.  Hopefully they got through in Philly.
Seacoast Homebrew Club - Portsmouth, NH
AHA Member
Stephen Mayo
------------------------------------------------

Offline joeinma

• Cellarman
« Reply #53 on: April 08, 2014, 10:53:58 am »
Still waiting for NYC regional scoresheets, but the beer I sent, a California Common scored a 37.5 at the Ocean State Homebrew Competition this past weekend in RI and placed 2nd via mini-BOS!  So fingers crossed!  :)

Offline udubdawg

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #54 on: April 08, 2014, 10:57:56 am »
Cat 26 - 3 in KC, all high enough to advance.
Cat 24 - 5 in KC, all 35 or higher.
cider categories each had 6-7 and I believe 8 melomels showed up in KC.
Too bad - I'd like to see more ciders/meads entered.

I judged 11 Pilsners and I believe there were 11 Dark Lagers, 12 Amber Lagers and low teens Light Lagers.

There are fewer of us lager brewers but there's a bunch of really skilled people making them.  I suspect the same goes for mead/cider but even more pronounced.  So it's not poor competition but there's no worry of getting lost in a cloud of hops at one table or dominated by 40 imperial stouts at another.

good luck to everyone that advanced and those that haven't been judged yet.

cheers--
--Michael

Offline lbrewski

• Cellarman
« Reply #55 on: April 08, 2014, 11:27:24 am »

Also judged in San Diego and agree with your comments. They do a great job running it, I think this was my 4th or 5th year and it gets better each time.

I had Strong Ale and there were 24 entries for 8 judges, 9 made the mini-bos and were all very good of course. So although  I'm confident we got it right it was challenging and took some discussion and give and take to get there. A very enjoyable mini-bos session with the other two excellent judges.

One of the hard things about the mini-bos format is to see a beer not medal when you think it might have been one that you scored >40 on a score sheet. I purposely try to NOT to remember the entry numbers of the ones we send along so I can (hopefully) be more objective, so most of the time I have no clue or I'm just not sure.

Offline dkfick

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #56 on: April 08, 2014, 11:58:25 am »

I don't know how many Pilsners were at Zanesville, but the had at least 2 judge pairs for category 2. I entered 3 lagers, but that didn't really help. I brew a lot of lagers, as those are what we like in the summer on the deck. I like the ones we entered a lot, but the judges didn't.

There were 18 Pilsners Jeff.  5 Advanced to Mini-Bos.  All of the ones that scored over 30 except for 1.
BJCP A0936 National Beer Judge and Mead Judge
Cicerone Certified Beer Server
AHA Member
CRAFT Homebrew Club
Sons of Liberty Homebrew Club
HBT "mors"

Offline hopfenundmalz

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Milford, MI
« Reply #57 on: April 08, 2014, 12:12:27 pm »

There were 18 Pilsners Jeff.  5 Advanced to Mini-Bos.  All of the ones that scored over 30 except for 1.
18 in Zanesville vs 5 in San Diego. Well we know what San Diego is famous for. Might be interesting to see all regions categories in a spread sheet. Where are more lagers brewed, where do the make more ciders and meads.

My first guess is that ciders will be more popular in apple growing states, but what do I know?
Jeff Rankert
AHA Lifetime Member
BJCP National
Ann Arbor Brewers Guild
Home-brewing, not just a hobby, it is a lifestyle!

Offline james

• Brewer
« Reply #58 on: April 08, 2014, 01:02:12 pm »

18 in Zanesville vs 5 in San Diego. Well we know what San Diego is famous for. Might be interesting to see all regions categories in a spread sheet. Where are more lagers brewed, where do the make more ciders and meads.

My first guess is that ciders will be more popular in apple growing states, but what do I know?

I didnt judge the categories but I think cider entries were pretty low in Seattle.

We had 1 flight of light lagers (12 or 13 entries) and 2 flights of pilsners.  It was nice to be able to judge those, I never get to because I always enter those cats (sent mine to Sacramento this year)

Offline jeffy

• Tampa, Fl
« Reply #59 on: April 08, 2014, 01:31:53 pm »

I didnt judge the categories but I think cider entries were pretty low in Seattle.

We had 1 flight of light lagers (12 or 13 entries) and 2 flights of pilsners.  It was nice to be able to judge those, I never get to because I always enter those cats (sent mine to Sacramento this year)

Not everybody enters in the closest region.  Our club sent our entries to Zanesville, rather than to the South region.  So mine was one of the 18 pilsners there.  I hope to get the score sheets soon.
Jeff Gladish, Tampa (989.3, 175.1 Apparent Rennarian)
Homebrewing since 1990
AHA member since 1991, now a lifetime member
BJCP judge since 1995