Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: NHC 2014  (Read 12914 times)

Offline klickitat jim

• I must live here
Re: NHC 2014
« Reply #60 on: April 08, 2014, 02:20:36 pm »
I judged in San Diego over the weekend. A couple of thoughts and observations;
I judged IPA and American Ales

About 90 IPA's were judged, About 20 advanced to a mini-BOS.

About 60 American Ales were judged, 15-18 advanced to mini-BOS

This is the first time I used the "Checklist" Scoresheets. I like them. At first I was hesitant, but I think they are effective. Talking to other judges, they had the same sentiment.

If you want to have better odds on advancing to the 2nd round, brew lagers, ciders, and meads. Most of them had less than 10 entries per category. I believe the Pilsner category only had 5 entries.

Quaff and the local organizers run a great 1st round. They get a lot of judges. For the IPA category, they had 22 judges and most if not all were BJCP certified. I don't think any judges judged more than 10 beers per flight.

I don't know how many Pilsners were at Zanesville, but the had at least 2 judge pairs for category 2. I entered 3 lagers, but that didn't really help. I brew a lot of lagers, as those are what we like in the summer on the deck. I like the ones we entered a lot, but the judges didn't.

Will me first round entries per category per site be posted?
There were 18 Pilsners Jeff.  5 Advanced to Mini-Bos.  All of the ones that scored over 30 except for 1.
18 in Zanesville vs 5 in San Diego. Well we know what San Diego is famous for. Might be interesting to see all regions categories in a spread sheet. Where are more lagers brewed, where do the make more ciders and meads.

My first guess is that ciders will be more popular in apple growing states, but what do I know?

I didnt judge the categories but I think cider entries were pretty low in Seattle.

We had 1 flight of light lagers (12 or 13 entries) and 2 flights of pilsners.  It was nice to be able to judge those, I never get to because I always enter those cats (sent mine to Sacramento this year)

Any 1C make it through?

Offline james

• Brewer
« Reply #61 on: April 08, 2014, 03:21:09 pm »

Any 1C make it through?

I recall one (of two) making it into mini-bos but don't remember which ones placed.  Hope it was yours!

Offline klickitat jim

• I must live here
« Reply #62 on: April 08, 2014, 04:41:02 pm »
I'd be amazed if it did

Offline Al

• 1st Kit
« Reply #63 on: April 09, 2014, 12:52:45 pm »
No word from Austin Judging yet...  :(
Don't panic, it's organic!

Offline klickitat jim

• I must live here
« Reply #64 on: April 09, 2014, 02:38:11 pm »
A little bird told me I didn't go through to round two. Seattle sheets to be mailed next week.

Offline theDarkSide

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Derry, NH
« Reply #65 on: April 09, 2014, 02:42:56 pm »
A little bird told me I didn't go through to round two. Seattle sheets to be mailed next week.

Here, birdie birdie...
Seacoast Homebrew Club - Portsmouth, NH
AHA Member
Stephen Mayo
------------------------------------------------

Offline Jimmy K

• Delaware
« Reply #66 on: April 09, 2014, 03:30:16 pm »
We just got Philly scoresheets today.

Sent from my XT1030 using Tapatalk

Delmarva United Homebrewers - President by inverse coup - former president ousted himself.
AHA Member since 2006
BJCP Certified: B0958

Offline sweetcell

• 1st Kit
« Reply #67 on: April 09, 2014, 03:41:39 pm »
i've seen mention that results would be posted online, but haven't been able to find them anywhere...

so, are KC results available online?  i haven't received my scoresheets yet even though everyone one else has (or seems to have).

edit: nevermind, found the answer... although it doesn't jive with what the KC organizer (duxx) said here... so maybe this isn't the answer?

Q: When will results be posted?

A: After a First Round judging center has evaluated all entries in their competition, the results must be verified prior to posting on HomebrewersAssociation.org. Results from individual judging centers will be posted as results are verified. Anticipate results to begin being posted the week of April 18th.
(...)
Competition results can be found on the National Homebrew Competition Winners page.
http://www.homebrewersassociation.org/competitions/national-homebrew-competition/winners/
« Last Edit: April 09, 2014, 03:51:48 pm by sweetcell »

Offline dkfick

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #68 on: April 09, 2014, 03:47:59 pm »
Still waiting on Chicago to judge so I don't want to hear it ;-)
BJCP A0936 National Beer Judge and Mead Judge
Cicerone Certified Beer Server
AHA Member
CRAFT Homebrew Club
Sons of Liberty Homebrew Club
HBT "mors"

Offline klickitat jim

• I must live here
« Reply #69 on: April 09, 2014, 06:40:52 pm »
I'll share my response to an email about the little bird.

This is not belly aching, just stating fact. SWMBO and I took vacation, a political feet unto itself, room, parking, and one meal was $550. Add fuel, a few beers, other meals, I'm invested, so to speak. She stewarded 3 sessions I judged 3. That earned me a sneak peak that amounted to "I don't remember seeing your name on the beers that advanced. Sheets mailing next week."

Having first hand experience, seeing what all goes into it... I actually feel pushy getting that much info. I couldn't imagine 150-300 people wanting to know like right now. If it were me I'd want to get the info out asap to stop the constant emails. So I'm relatively certain they are doing their best.

Having said that, WHERE'S MY SCORE SHEETS.

Sorry, I'm still just a kid when it comes to brewing

Offline mroakley

• Cellarman
    • The Grain Trust
« Reply #70 on: April 09, 2014, 06:54:54 pm »
The CA State Fair Homebrewing competition took four or five months (more maybe?) to get out scoresheets a few years ago.

« Last Edit: April 09, 2014, 06:57:21 pm by mroakley »

Offline Stevie

« Reply #71 on: April 09, 2014, 06:56:14 pm »

The CA State Fair Homebrewing competition took four or five months (more maybe?) to get out scoresheets a few years ago.

Needless to say, the last two years there's been someone else running the competition.

Just saying.   :)

Yeah, the guy from before wasn't very efficient. Or friendly.

Offline Jimmy K

• Delaware
« Reply #72 on: April 09, 2014, 07:59:34 pm »

Needless to say, the last two years there's been someone else running the competition.

Just saying.   :)

Yeah, the guy from before wasn't very efficient. Or friendly.
It can turn into a lot of work if you're not smart about organizing the paperwork.
Delmarva United Homebrewers - President by inverse coup - former president ousted himself.
AHA Member since 2006
BJCP Certified: B0958