Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Pro Brewers "NIGHT"  (Read 6300 times)

Offline bonjour

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Troy, MI, 37mi, 60.9deg AR
Pro Brewers "NIGHT"
« on: April 03, 2014, 11:08:48 am »
I'm hearing talk about a lack of Pro Brewers Night at the conference.
Let me clear this up a bit.

ONE "Pro Brewers Night" has been replaced with THREE days with the Pros.
We have split the pros so you can have MORE (not less) access to the pros and their beers.  Being spread out you should be able to sample more of the Pros beverages because you will have more time to do so.  This includes discussion with the representatives that may happen to be there.

The Pros will have a bigger presence in Grand Rapids than in any other conference to date, just not in the same manner we have seen in the past.  It should be a significantly better experience.

Fred
« Last Edit: April 03, 2014, 11:55:09 am by bonjour »
Fred Bonjour
Co-Chair Mashing in Michigan 2014 AHA Conference in Grand Rapids, Michigan
AHA Governing Committee; AHA Conference, Club Support & Web Subcommittees

Everything under 1.100 is a 'session' beer ;)

Offline Jimmy K

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Delaware
Re: Pro Brewers "NIGHT"
« Reply #1 on: April 03, 2014, 02:11:26 pm »
I like it!
Delmarva United Homebrewers - President by inverse coup - former president ousted himself.
AHA Member since 2006
BJCP Certified: B0958

Offline wsoublo

• Cellarman
« Reply #2 on: April 03, 2014, 04:55:29 pm »
I can't believe they're charging more and not even having a Pro Brewers Night.  Damn greedy bastards.

Offline medley

• 1st Kit
« Reply #3 on: April 03, 2014, 06:16:08 pm »
Thanks for clarifying this. I assumed this was the situation but I haven't seen it stated anywhere.

Offline hopfenundmalz

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Milford, MI
« Reply #4 on: April 03, 2014, 06:22:29 pm »
Fred,

When did Pro Brewers night start? Some guys going to NHC long before me said it is not really that old.

Jeff
Jeff Rankert
AHA Lifetime Member
BJCP National
Ann Arbor Brewers Guild
Home-brewing, not just a hobby, it is a lifestyle!

Offline udubdawg

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #5 on: April 04, 2014, 10:24:03 am »
maybe an example of something attendees may experience that wasn't available in previous years would help with the mentality Fred mentioned.  Will pros be pouring beer in seminars?  Taking shifts in the social club?  wandering among the throng gathered outside the banquet area pouring their beers?

Pro Night was a known, while the changes are an unknown.
just sayin'

Offline bonjour

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Troy, MI, 37mi, 60.9deg AR
« Reply #6 on: April 04, 2014, 10:32:17 am »
maybe an example of something attendees may experience that wasn't available in previous years would help with the mentality Fred mentioned.  Will pros be pouring beer in seminars?  Taking shifts in the social club?  wandering among the throng gathered outside the banquet area pouring their beers?

Pro Night was a known, while the changes are an unknown.
just sayin'
understood, but I don't want to state something that isn't so.  I'm sure more will be rolling out on this soon.

Fred Bonjour
Co-Chair Mashing in Michigan 2014 AHA Conference in Grand Rapids, Michigan
AHA Governing Committee; AHA Conference, Club Support & Web Subcommittees

Everything under 1.100 is a 'session' beer ;)

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #7 on: April 04, 2014, 10:33:39 am »
I can't believe they're charging more and not even having a Pro Brewers Night.  Damn greedy bastards.

It was my least favorite part of the conference.  Doesn't bother me at all that it's gone.  Especially since the beers will still be available in a better format.
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline bluesman

• I must live here
  • Delaware
« Reply #8 on: April 04, 2014, 10:41:34 am »
I like it!

+1

I'm really looking forward to this format. It should allow for more quality time with the brewers. A better forum to ask questions and the like.
Ron Price

Offline theDarkSide

• Derry, NH
« Reply #9 on: April 04, 2014, 11:30:10 am »
Initially I think it will be missed, but I'm curious to see how this format will work.

Are there going to be other events setup by the local committee on Thursday instead of just having 3-4k people descending on the bars in Grand Rapids?
Seacoast Homebrew Club - Portsmouth, NH
AHA Member
Stephen Mayo
------------------------------------------------

Offline MDixon

• Brewmaster General
« Reply #10 on: April 04, 2014, 11:48:06 am »

It was my least favorite part of the conference.  Doesn't bother me at all that it's gone.  Especially since the beers will still be available in a better format.

It was my MOST favorite part of the conference when the conference was not well attended. Now that the conference is many thousand gassy homebrewers the pro brewer's night just isn't as much fun.
It's not a popularity contest, it's beer!

Offline denny

• Administrator
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #11 on: April 04, 2014, 02:28:33 pm »

It was my MOST favorite part of the conference when the conference was not well attended. Now that the conference is many thousand gassy homebrewers the pro brewer's night just isn't as much fun.

That's kinda what I was getting at.  I'm just not up for standing in line for 1/2 an hour with thousands of other people in order to get a sample of a beer, no matter how good the beer is.

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline theDarkSide

• Derry, NH
« Reply #12 on: April 04, 2014, 02:30:58 pm »

That's kinda what I was getting at.  I'm just not up for standing in line for 1/2 an hour with thousands of other people in order to get a sample of a beer, no matter how good the beer is.
So how do you feel about Club Night? 
Seacoast Homebrew Club - Portsmouth, NH
AHA Member
Stephen Mayo
------------------------------------------------

Offline tschmidlin

• I must live here
  • Redmond, WA
« Reply #13 on: April 05, 2014, 01:59:43 am »

Honestly, I prefer club night and have for a while.  There are a few reasons.  First, there is not a long line for just a few booths, everything is pretty even.  It seems less crowded, maybe because many of the brewers are behind the booth serving beer, maybe because of the lines.  Everyone is happy to talk to everyone else about their beers, rather than all of the homebrewers trying to talk to a limited number of pros - even if there are the same number of booths, each pro booth has one or two people to talk to instead of 2-40.  The beer is at least more interesting, if not better on club night.  People seem more involved with the event, maybe because of the club themes.

Don't get me wrong, I've loved pro night over the years, but I feel like it has been getting less fun than it used to be.
Tom Schmidlin

Offline denny

• Administrator
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #14 on: April 05, 2014, 09:46:28 am »

Club Night I love for two reasons...1, the wackiness.  2, it's homebrew, not commercial beer.

www.dennybrew.com