Author Topic: Pro Brewers "NIGHT"  (Read 2452 times)

Offline MDixon

• Senior Brewmaster
    • View Profile
    • Mike's Homebrewing Page
Re: Pro Brewers "NIGHT"
« Reply #15 on: April 08, 2014, 04:47:28 AM »
I like club night when the clubs aren't beer dumping. If they only have five great beers, then serve five. No need to bring 20 when 15 are less than stellar. IMO I should not have to dump a club night beer because it has major flaws. YMMV.
It's not a popularity contest, it's beer!

Offline hopfenundmalz

• Official Poobah of No Life.
  • Milford, MI
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: April 08, 2014, 04:55:46 AM »
I like club night when the clubs aren't beer dumping. If they only have five great beers, then serve five. No need to bring 20 when 15 are less than stellar. IMO I should not have to dump a club night beer because it has major flaws. YMMV.
^^^^  Yes, clubs should bring the A game to Club Night.
Jeff Rankert
Ann Arbor Brewers Guild, AHA Member, BJCP Certified
Home-brewing, not just a hobby, it is a lifestyle!

Offline theDarkSide

• Brewmaster General
  • Derry, NH
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: April 08, 2014, 05:18:13 AM »
So how do you feel about Club Night?

Club Night I love for two reasons...1, the wackiness.  2, it's homebrew, not commercial beer.
Yeah, but still gassy (and I would argue even gassier) homebrewers.  ;D

Last year I spent more time at the BN booth than walking around.

I had a mead last year I can still taste.  It tasted like play doh...and I used to like play doh as a kid  ;)
Sergeant - BNArmy CLUB Member
Seacoast Homebrew Club - Portsmouth, NH
AHA Member
Stephen Mayo
------------------------------------------------

Offline udubdawg

• Brewmaster
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: April 08, 2014, 05:30:06 AM »

man, I'd love the imagination and wackiness of Club Night with the quality level of Pro Night.  So yes, put out your best!

Offline AmandaK

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Redbird Brewhouse
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: April 08, 2014, 05:46:51 AM »
^^^^  Yes, clubs should bring the A game to Club Night.

+1000
We are bringing our A game! Look for us under the BBQ or tailgating themed tent... We'll decide here soon.

I still remember beers from 2012 NHC Club Night that were whole heartedly infected being served. Sad times. I will not be one of those people.
Amanda Burkemper
Kansas City Bier Meister; BJCP Master
Redbird Brewhouse - There's Always a Project
Our Homebrewed Wedding, AHA Article

Offline Pinski

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Portland, Oregon
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: April 08, 2014, 07:29:00 AM »

It was my least favorite part of the conference.  Doesn't bother me at all that it's gone.  Especially since the beers will still be available in a better format.

It was my MOST favorite part of the conference when the conference was not well attended. Now that the conference is many thousand gassy homebrewers the pro brewer's night just isn't as much fun.

That's kinda what I was getting at.  I'm just not up for standing in line for 1/2 an hour with thousands of other people in order to get a sample of a beer, no matter how good the beer is.
Honestly, I prefer club night and have for a while.  There are a few reasons.  First, there is not a long line for just a few booths, everything is pretty even.  It seems less crowded, maybe because many of the brewers are behind the booth serving beer, maybe because of the lines.  Everyone is happy to talk to everyone else about their beers, rather than all of the homebrewers trying to talk to a limited number of pros - even if there are the same number of booths, each pro booth has one or two people to talk to instead of 2-40.  The beer is at least more interesting, if not better on club night.  People seem more involved with the event, maybe because of the club themes.

Don't get me wrong, I've loved pro night over the years, but I feel like it has been getting less fun than it used to be.

I agree, two years ago in Seattle Club Night was the highlight of the conference for me and much more fun than pro-night. Pro-night was fun, just not as fun.
Steve Carper
Green Dragon Brew Crew
Clubs: Oregon Brew Crew & Strange Brew
BJCP Certified

Offline bluesman

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Delaware
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: April 08, 2014, 09:40:48 AM »

It was my least favorite part of the conference.  Doesn't bother me at all that it's gone.  Especially since the beers will still be available in a better format.

It was my MOST favorite part of the conference when the conference was not well attended. Now that the conference is many thousand gassy homebrewers the pro brewer's night just isn't as much fun.

That's kinda what I was getting at.  I'm just not up for standing in line for 1/2 an hour with thousands of other people in order to get a sample of a beer, no matter how good the beer is.
Honestly, I prefer club night and have for a while.  There are a few reasons.  First, there is not a long line for just a few booths, everything is pretty even.  It seems less crowded, maybe because many of the brewers are behind the booth serving beer, maybe because of the lines.  Everyone is happy to talk to everyone else about their beers, rather than all of the homebrewers trying to talk to a limited number of pros - even if there are the same number of booths, each pro booth has one or two people to talk to instead of 2-40.  The beer is at least more interesting, if not better on club night.  People seem more involved with the event, maybe because of the club themes.

Don't get me wrong, I've loved pro night over the years, but I feel like it has been getting less fun than it used to be.

I agree, two years ago in Seattle Club Night was the highlight of the conference for me and much more fun than pro-night. Pro-night was fun, just not as fun.

I think the spirit and hard work that all of the clubs bring to club night, along with the tremendous passion/committment that was poured into their booths, costumes and beer is what does it for me. You just can't get that at Pro-Night. Not to say that I don't enjoy pro-night, but that club night is magical!  :)
Ron Price

Offline lilrascal

• 1st Kit
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: April 08, 2014, 01:41:50 PM »
I am hoping they allow food to be brought in by the clubs this year again. That was part of the fun.  Sucked in Philly with the only food being provided was by the hotel. 

Offline dkfick

• Senior Brewmaster
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: April 08, 2014, 03:17:49 PM »
I am hoping they allow food to be brought in by the clubs this year again. That was part of the fun.  Sucked in Philly with the only food being provided was by the hotel.
I'm pretty sure those days are over now.
BJCP A0936 National Beer Judge and Mead Judge
Cicerone Certified Beer Server
AHA Member
CRAFT Homebrew Club
Sons of Liberty Homebrew Club
HBT "mors"

Offline hopfenundmalz

• Milford, MI
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: April 08, 2014, 03:33:50 PM »
Dan is correct. The NHC is too big to fly under the radar on food safety laws in places with food licenses.

Edit - read the FAQ on food. Not allowed.
http://devosplace.org/faqs-1
« Last Edit: April 08, 2014, 03:36:03 PM by hopfenundmalz »
Jeff Rankert

Offline dkfick

• Senior Brewmaster
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: April 08, 2014, 05:07:19 PM »
Dan is correct. The NHC is too big to fly under the radar on food safety laws in places with food licenses.

I suppose that means the Amway Grand Plaza Hotel will be used by the AHA to provide food during club night... At least I hope so... with all that beer there really needs to be some food somewhere ;-)
AHA Member
CRAFT Homebrew Club
HBT "mors"

Offline hopfenundmalz

• Milford, MI
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: April 08, 2014, 05:57:52 PM »

I suppose that means the Amway Grand Plaza Hotel will be used by the AHA to provide food during club night... At least I hope so... with all that beer there really needs to be some food somewhere ;-)
we usually have something to eat before. There were snacks in Philly during club night.
Jeff Rankert

Offline dkfick

• Senior Brewmaster
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: April 08, 2014, 06:13:40 PM »
Yeah I ate a ton of those pretzels in Philly lol.
AHA Member
CRAFT Homebrew Club
HBT "mors"

Offline theDarkSide

• Brewmaster General
  • Derry, NH
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: April 09, 2014, 07:22:18 AM »
And rice krispie treats...nothing like jacking up on sugar before the evening.  ;D
Sergeant - BNArmy CLUB Member
Seacoast Homebrew Club - Portsmouth, NH
AHA Member
Stephen Mayo
------------------------------------------------

Offline dkfick

• Senior Brewmaster
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: April 09, 2014, 02:41:02 PM »
And rice krispie treats...nothing like jacking up on sugar before the evening.  ;D
Oh yeah totally forgot about those... Woke up the next morning with one cemented to the table in the hotel room.
AHA Member
CRAFT Homebrew Club
HBT "mors"