Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Cork Problem  (Read 1489 times)

Offline Llcoole83

• 1st Kit
Cork Problem
« on: April 02, 2014, 08:36:42 pm »
Okay so apparently I had the cork and airlock soaking in the sanitizer too long and it got a bit water logged.

When I pushed it into the top of my carboy to begin fermentation, the cork slid all the way in...past the neck. I was able to pull the airlock out but now the cork is floating in the beer.

I assume there is nothing to do now but 1. It should effect the beer right? And 2. Any ideas how to get it out?

Obviously I want to do it without breaking the glass. Any idea how to break the cork in the carboy or am I just screwed? And "ship in a bottle" builders out there?

Offline Stevie

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
Cork Problem
« Reply #1 on: April 02, 2014, 09:17:26 pm »
I've done this plenty of times. When done fermenting use the end of a dry cleaner hanger (under the cardboard tube) to get it out.

I switched to the universal stoppers for this reason. They are more rigid an have a lip that keeps them from going all the way in.

http://www.northernbrewer.com/shop/brewing/brewing-equipment/fermenting-equipment/stoppers-bungs/universal-carboy-bung-drilled.html
« Last Edit: April 02, 2014, 09:21:57 pm by Steve in TX »

Offline dkfick

• Senior Brewmaster
Re: Cork Problem
« Reply #2 on: April 02, 2014, 09:21:34 pm »
I find the easiest way to get them out is by putting some water in (after you rack out obviously) and throwing a rag or something like that... I use a shamwow lol.  Then if you flip it upside down the cork will get wrapped in the towel and you can pull it out with the towel.
BJCP A0936 National Beer Judge and Mead Judge
Cicerone Certified Beer Server
AHA Member
CRAFT Homebrew Club
Sons of Liberty Homebrew Club
HBT "mors"

Offline klickitat jim

• I must live here
« Reply #3 on: April 02, 2014, 10:07:48 pm »
Try calling Rick Moranis. Honey I shrunk the homebrewer. Bring a tiny chainsaw with you

Offline dkfick

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #4 on: April 03, 2014, 06:35:39 am »
Try calling Rick Moranis. Honey I shrunk the homebrewer. Bring a tiny chainsaw with you
If you're going that route I would suggest shrinking the cork.  Cutting up the cork all day with a mini chainsaw sure seems like a lot of wasted work ;-)
AHA Member
CRAFT Homebrew Club
HBT "mors"

Offline reverseapachemaster

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
    • Brain Sparging on Brewing
« Reply #5 on: April 03, 2014, 09:26:01 am »
Or increase the size of the carboy, stick your hand in to get the cork out and use the bigger carboy to make more beer in the future.
Heck yeah I blog about homebrewing: Brain Sparging on Brewing

Offline dkfick

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #6 on: April 03, 2014, 03:25:55 pm »
Or increase the size of the carboy, stick your hand in to get the cork out and use the bigger carboy to make more beer in the future.
Finally a way to get my girlfriend to stop complaining about the homebrew equipment taking up all the basement space!
AHA Member
CRAFT Homebrew Club
HBT "mors"

Offline speed

• Brewer
  • Thedford nebraska
« Reply #7 on: April 03, 2014, 08:29:48 pm »
Then next time do like I do and just put tinfoil over the neck.i haven't used an airlock in years.