Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Recipe designer software  (Read 3136 times)

Offline sdevries42

• Cellarman
Recipe designer software
« on: April 03, 2014, 08:21:59 pm »
I'm sure this topic has probably been discussed before, but I can't seem to find it. Anyone have recommendations for recipe designer software? I've been using brewmate but for some reason the numbers (mostly IBU) just don't  add up most of the time.

Offline Stevie

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
Re: Recipe designer software
« Reply #1 on: April 03, 2014, 08:43:36 pm »
Most like beersmith. I tried it but I'm so used to my old software that I can't switch.

Offline ranchovillabrew

• Brewer
« Reply #2 on: April 03, 2014, 08:44:06 pm »
I love beersmith.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

- Charles

Offline gmac

• Brewmaster General
  • London, Ontario
« Reply #3 on: April 03, 2014, 08:46:00 pm »
I like Beersmith but I haven't used anything else.

Offline klickitat jim

• I must live here
« Reply #4 on: April 03, 2014, 08:47:12 pm »
Brewer's Friend for me.

Offline erockrph

• I must live here
  • Chepachet, RI
    • The Hop WHisperer
« Reply #5 on: April 03, 2014, 10:19:27 pm »
I prefer to use an online calculator, so I can access everything whether I'm at home, work or on my smartphone. I've tried several apps, but I have been using Brewer's Friend pretty much exclusively for a couple of years now. There are frequent updates, loads of robust features, and the support (if you ever need it) is top-notch.
Eric B.

Finally got around to starting a homebrewing blog: The Hop Whisperer

Offline sjskeels

• 1st Kit
« Reply #6 on: April 03, 2014, 10:36:11 pm »
I too use Brewmate, but was thinking of giving Beersmith a try.  Anyone have a good explanation of the benefits of making the move from brewmate to beensmith?

Offline HoosierBrew

• I must live here
  • Indianapolis,IN
« Reply #7 on: April 04, 2014, 05:46:11 am »
I'm currently using ProMash, but I've used Brewer's Friend and Beersmith before. Any of these do a fine job.
Jon H.

Offline leejoreilly

• Assistant Brewer
  • Washington, MI
« Reply #8 on: April 04, 2014, 06:10:32 am »
I've used the Brewzor app for my Android phone, but I prefer BeerSmith (v2). It does everything well, supports customization to fit my process and equipment, and has a well-integrated Android app and cloud storage capability.

Offline eyousey

• 1st Kit
« Reply #9 on: April 04, 2014, 06:30:15 am »
I use Brewtarget.  It is an open source software the runs on multiple OSes (Windows, Mac, Linux, BSD).  I personally have it setup on FreeBSD and because I can secure shell into the machine, I can run the software remotely, but display it locally.  So, I don't need to be in front of the machine to tinker with recipes.  I've found it works really well, and its calculations are pretty spot on.  It also supports BeerXML. 

http://www.brewtarget.org/

The developers are constantly working on the code and fixing bugs.  It is not perfect yet, but it is stable and getting better with each release.

Offline dbarber

• Brewer
« Reply #10 on: April 04, 2014, 06:55:02 am »
I use Promash and have used it for 8 years.  I have a copy of Beer Smith, but haven't gotten around to figuring out how to use it.
Dave Barber
Orwigsburg, PA
AHA Member, BJCP National

Offline Steve L

• Brewmaster
  • Rocky Mount, VA
« Reply #11 on: April 04, 2014, 07:06:16 pm »
I started out with Qbrew, it was pretty good. Then I tried Brewmate, I really liked this one. Used it for quite awhile. I Finally got Beersmith and I have to admit, at first I didn't like it. Mostly because I didn't totally understand how to use all the components. Once I wrapped my brain around it and got my Equipment profile setup correctly, I really like it. The IBU, Gravity and color adjustments are awesome when you're trying to resize a recipe or dial in a clone recipe.
Corripe Cervisiam

Offline dmtaylor

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Lord Idiot the Lazy
    • YEAST MASTER Perma-Living
« Reply #12 on: April 04, 2014, 07:51:25 pm »
If I didn't already have 634 recipes in StrangeBrew (excellent but antiquated software), I would certainly go with BeerSmith.
Dave

The world will become a much more pleasant place to live when each and every one of us realizes that we are all idiots.

Offline dzlater

• Brewmaster
  • Dan S. New Jersey
« Reply #13 on: April 05, 2014, 06:22:54 am »
Does BeerSmith allow one to set the OG, input the grains as %'s, and let the software figure out the grain bill weights?
Dan S. from NJ

Offline duboman

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #14 on: April 05, 2014, 07:32:57 am »

Does BeerSmith allow one to set the OG, input the grains as %'s, and let the software figure out the grain bill weights?
sort of but backwards, you simply enter the grains and then click the percentages button and put whatever percentage you want in, once that's done you can adjust the gravity accordingly.
Peace....Love......Beer......

The Commune Brewing Company-Perfecting the craft of beer since 2010