Author Topic: Shake Carbing  (Read 1110 times)

Offline flbrewer

• Senior Brewmaster
    • View Profile
Shake Carbing
« on: April 04, 2014, 01:05:56 PM »
I read the recent blog post by the Mad Fermentationist and he mentioned shake carving with a carb cab and a bottle. Has anyone tried this? I'd love to carb my one gallon batches faster than 2 weeks in a bottle.

Offline kramerog

• Senior Brewmaster
    • View Profile
Re: Shake Carbing
« Reply #1 on: April 04, 2014, 01:28:45 PM »
I assume you are talking about a carbonator cap that screws onto a soda bottle.  I do use use a carbonator cap occasionally when I find that my batch of beer exceeds 5-gal or as a growler.  It works well but it is somewhat inconvenient to use as your main method of carbonation because every time you open the bottle, you have to push out the air and then put more CO2 on top (if you aren't going to finish it in one sitting).  The price is not too unreasonable to buy two of them for a 1-gal batch.
« Last Edit: April 04, 2014, 01:36:29 PM by kramerog »
Brewers of South Suburbia
Brixie's Brewers
Oak Park Homebrewers

Offline Joe Sr.

• Official Poobah of No Life.
  • Chicago - NORTH SIDE
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 04, 2014, 01:45:26 PM »
I shake carb a 1/2 liter like this every time I keg.  However, Kramerog is correct that it might not really be a solution to replace bottling.

It's great for a quick turnaround, though.  I tapped a mini-keg last weekend that was flat so I juiced it up with CO2, shook it, and 1/2 hour later it was good to go.
It's all in the reflexes. - Jack Burton

Offline Pinski

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Portland, Oregon
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 04, 2014, 02:03:44 PM »
When I shake carb a sample or extra beer, it's always at 30 psi in a pint or 2 liter plastic bottle.  I wouldn't ever try that with glass.
Steve Carper
Green Dragon Brew Crew
Clubs: Oregon Brew Crew & Strange Brew
BJCP Certified

Offline flbrewer

• Senior Brewmaster
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 04, 2014, 02:04:53 PM »
Anyone have a link for a preferred brand? So it uses a CO2 cartridge? Would I still be using priming sugar?

Offline Joe Sr.

• Chicago - NORTH SIDE
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 04, 2014, 02:27:22 PM »
I built my own from a tire valve and a two liter cap.

I just go ahead and use my CO2 tank, but you certainly could use a cartridge although it's hard to control the PSI and would be particularly concerning with glass.

No need for priming sugar.  The beer is carbed and ready to drink after about 30 minutes in the freezer.

Offline euge

• I must live here
  • Estilo Casero
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 04, 2014, 07:06:45 PM »
I also built my own initially like that^^^ but found the carbonator cap perfect. I've already worn out two. Lesson: don't crank down on the cap. Gently go to finger tight. Tighten a bit more if needed. Otherwise the cap will crack sooner than later and become nearly useless at $20 a pop.

Whenever racking to keg I try for a couple+ litres just to carb up and enjoy, critique etc...
The first principle is that you must not fool yourself, and you are the easiest person to fool. -Richard P. Feynman

Offline tschmidlin

• I must live here
  • Redmond, WA
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 05, 2014, 01:09:01 AM »
I also built my own initially like that^^^ but found the carbonator cap perfect. I've already worn out two. Lesson: don't crank down on the cap. Gently go to finger tight. Tighten a bit more if needed. Otherwise the cap will crack sooner than later and become nearly useless at $20 a pop.
They used to have some kind of warranty against cracking - have you checked into it?
Tom Schmidlin

Offline gmac

• Brewmaster General
  • London, Ontario
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 05, 2014, 04:41:51 AM »
Speaking from experience, don't invert the beer when shaking it. Even with the gas pressure, beer can go back up the lines and then you have to tear every thing apart and clean it. I used a carbonation cap that fits on my gas line. I made my own out of Aluminum and threaded it so a keg post screws on.

Offline Joe Sr.

• Chicago - NORTH SIDE
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 05, 2014, 05:37:20 AM »
Speaking from experience, don't invert the beer when shaking it. Even with the gas pressure, beer can go back up the lines and then you have to tear every thing apart and clean it. I used a carbonation cap that fits on my gas line. I made my own out of Aluminum and threaded it so a keg post screws on.

Pressurize.  Disconnect.  Shake.  Repeat.  No worries.

Offline euge

• I must live here
  • Estilo Casero
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 05, 2014, 06:22:23 AM »
They used to have some kind of warranty against cracking - have you checked into it?

Recently threw the two away. I had tried to repair them with a hot nail to weld the cracks close- and it did work for a short while. At that point it seemed a little dubious to try and get them to honor their warranty. But in the future if it happens again I'll RMA the cap.

I made my own out of Aluminum and threaded it so a keg post screws on.

Would you mind posting any pics? I've often thought that this was the best route but lack the tools/expertise to make it happen.
The first principle is that you must not fool yourself, and you are the easiest person to fool. -Richard P. Feynman

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • View Profile
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #11 on: April 05, 2014, 08:44:01 AM »
I read the recent blog post by the Mad Fermentationist and he mentioned shake carving with a carb cab and a bottle. Has anyone tried this? I'd love to carb my one gallon batches faster than 2 weeks in a bottle.

I do it for every batch.   When I need a hydrometer reading, I take a 12 oz. sample and pour it into a 20 oz. PET bottle when I'm done.  Hit it wuth 30 psi, put it in the freezer, and 45 min. later I've got a cold, carbed sample.  It would only take a bit longer for a gal.
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • View Profile
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #12 on: April 05, 2014, 08:44:41 AM »
When I shake carb a sample or extra beer, it's always at 30 psi in a pint or 2 liter plastic bottle.  I wouldn't ever try that with glass.

ABSOLUTELY!
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

Offline beersk

• Brewmaster General
  • In the night!
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 05, 2014, 02:42:03 PM »
There is a stainless steel carbonator cap now isn't there?
Go big AND go home.

Jesse

Offline flbrewer

• Senior Brewmaster
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 05, 2014, 03:50:41 PM »
Looks like I'd have to have a CO2 tank and regulator. At that point, I might as well keg.