Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: local brew shop  (Read 5465 times)

Offline morticaixavier

• I must live here
  • Underhill VT
    • The Best Artist in the WORLD!!!!!
Re: local brew shop
« Reply #30 on: May 12, 2014, 12:02:05 pm »
Buying your base malt and hops in bulk would help. A pound of cascade should be about 10 and 55 pounds of 2 row about 40.
Maybe on your side of the Cascades Jim, but not around here.  More like $16 for the hops and $60+ for a 50 lb bag of domestic 2-row on this side.

just try going organic! then your talking ~ 25 for the hops and 80 for the grain.
"Creativity is the residue of wasted time"
-A Einstein

"errors are [...] the portals of discovery"
- J Joyce

Offline beersk

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • In the night!
« Reply #31 on: May 12, 2014, 02:41:55 pm »
Buying your base malt and hops in bulk would help. A pound of cascade should be about 10 and 55 pounds of 2 row about 40.
Maybe on your side of the Cascades Jim, but not around here.  More like $16 for the hops and $60+ for a 50 lb bag of domestic 2-row on this side.

just try going organic! then your talking ~ 25 for the hops and 80 for the grain.
Yikes...no way I could afford to brew if I brewed only organic.
Jesse

Offline morticaixavier

• I must live here
  • Underhill VT
    • The Best Artist in the WORLD!!!!!
« Reply #32 on: May 12, 2014, 03:28:07 pm »

Yikes...no way I could afford to brew if I brewed only organic.

that's probably a little high on domestic cascades, but continental malt can be wicked expensive. I've seen MO for over 100 bucks for a sack.
"Creativity is the residue of wasted time"
-A Einstein

"errors are [...] the portals of discovery"
- J Joyce

Offline klickitat jim

• I must live here
« Reply #33 on: May 12, 2014, 04:19:02 pm »
Spoiled I guess.  My LHBS is 90 miles from Yakima, 90 miles from Great Western, and 30 miles from Wyeast.

Offline Thirsty_Monk

• Brewmaster General
  • Eau Claire WI
    • Lazy Monk Brewing
« Reply #34 on: May 12, 2014, 05:33:57 pm »

Ahh how quickly we forget $30 for 1lb of hops a few years ago. My hops run about $7-8lb now. Yes I need to buy at least 11lbs and there is shipping on top.

Na Zdravie

Lazy Monk Brewing
http://www.lazymonkbrewing.com