Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Pale Ale Question  (Read 3193 times)

Offline flbrewer

• Brewmaster General
Re: Pale Ale Question
« Reply #15 on: April 06, 2014, 10:31:57 am »
Ok, well I suppose I'll use grains as I don't normally have that on hand.

Offline erockrph

• I must live here
  • Chepachet, RI
    • The Hop WHisperer
Re: Pale Ale Question
« Reply #16 on: April 06, 2014, 11:59:20 am »
Could I do this with any hop? Someone mentioned earlier that 15 min w a bittering hop was too much.

Also, would you kindly share some favorites with me? I have mosiac and the four C's right now.

Why no specialty grains? I just assumed that would also be better.

This works with any hop. But the recipe I gave is specifically designed to taste-test and compare hop varieties. If you're brewing for personal consumption I think you'll have much better results using 2-3 different hop varieties in a beer instead of just one. A single-hop beer tends to be a bit monotone.

Mosaic and the 4 C's are all excellent APA/IPA hops, and you can combine any/all of them together. Right now, I am using a lot of Apollo (orange/dank), Nelson Sauvin (grapefruit/white wine) and Meridian (apricot/tangerine/pine) in my hoppy ales.

The main reason I use the Munich LME is to get some additional malt complexity without having to steep grain. When you're doing 7 or 8 batches in one session, it saves some time and is one less step to juggle. If you're just brewing a 1-off batch, then 2-3 ounces of steeped Crystal malt would work just as well (if not better).
Eric B.

Finally got around to starting a homebrewing blog: The Hop Whisperer