Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Phenolic  (Read 4634 times)

Offline klickitat jim

• I must live here
Re: Phenolic
« Reply #15 on: April 08, 2014, 02:23:13 pm »
By chance, did you use any peat smoked malt at all?  If that's the case, then THAT is certainly the problem!!!

Um, no! Thanks though

Offline klickitat jim

• I must live here
« Reply #16 on: April 08, 2014, 02:24:36 pm »
Little help here. If you're reasonably certain that your pH is 5.4ish could you still get phenolic from sparging too hot? Say 175-180?

I can't think of any reason that should cause phenolics.

I didn't think so but bjcp flashcards hint at it.

Offline klickitat jim

• I must live here
« Reply #17 on: April 08, 2014, 02:25:48 pm »
And thanks Steve, I have those.

I'm just going to have to do some research

Offline Wort-H.O.G.

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Play Nice
    • Harvey's Brewhaus
« Reply #18 on: April 09, 2014, 08:31:16 am »
And thanks Steve, I have those.

I'm just going to have to do some research

i recently started a post similar to this. had some similar phenolic type tastes in my stouts- ruled out infections and ph, temp etc. it was suggested my use of gypsum with my dark malt recipes might be driving this unpleasant flavor i was tasting. have not had an opportunity to test this theory yet but i am going to give it a shot and see what happens.
Ken- Chagrin Falls, OH
CPT, U.S.Army
https://www.facebook.com/pages/Harveys-Brewhaus/405092862905115

http://braukaiser.com/wiki/index.php?title=The_Science_of_Mashing

Serving:        In Process:
Vienna IPA          O'Fest
Dort
Mead                 
Cider                         
Ger'merican Blonde
Amber Ale
Next:
Ger Pils
O'Fest

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #19 on: April 09, 2014, 10:47:03 am »

Unfortunately, a lot of BJCP study material is old.  For all the good info in some of it, there are also some glaring errors and disproven or rethought "science".
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline ynotbrusum

« Reply #20 on: April 09, 2014, 05:12:55 pm »
Like hot side aeration?  That one seems to sneak in there from time to time on other sources.
Hodge Garage Brewing: "Brew with a glad heart!"

Offline klickitat jim

• I must live here
« Reply #21 on: April 09, 2014, 06:19:25 pm »
There are a few I could name but I'm not here to bash my peeps. I have high hopes for the new style guide.

We all have faults. Meet me and you'll know mine. Lol

Offline klickitat jim

• I must live here
« Reply #22 on: April 09, 2014, 06:28:30 pm »

Unfortunately, a lot of BJCP study material is old.  For all the good info in some of it, there are also some glaring errors and disproven or rethought "science".

Denny, things are coming into focus for me. I'm more and more convinced that there is a cutting edge in homebrewing. Bjcp is running to keep up. Having said that, I don't know if perfection is a realistic expectation for well intentioned volunteers. I just hope they do some big corrections before they slip from being monumental to has been. I think the people are awesome. The old literature just can't be relied on as empirical evidence

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #23 on: April 10, 2014, 09:24:34 am »
Denny, things are coming into focus for me. I'm more and more convinced that there is a cutting edge in homebrewing. Bjcp is running to keep up. Having said that, I don't know if perfection is a realistic expectation for well intentioned volunteers. I just hope they do some big corrections before they slip from being monumental to has been. I think the people are awesome. The old literature just can't be relied on as empirical evidence

Unfortunately, the people who write the BJCP guidelines are experienced brewers who have been around a long time.  why do I say that's unfortunate?  Because they "grew up" brewing using information that's now been disproven.  Of course, that's definitely not to say that everything they know is wrong!  Only that sometimes, when you know you have a handle on a process, you stop looking at new information that might affect that process.  This is NOT to bash the BJCP in any way.  I have great respect and appreciation for the people who write the guidelines and do all the other work.  I know that when I took the exam, I was able to slip through some of my "heresy" by explaining it.  When I was an exam grader, I accepted answers that were not in the study guide if the person was able to explain and defend their point of view.  I hope that in future revisions to the study guide that they'll look carefully at all the new info out there and include it.
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline klickitat jim

• I must live here
« Reply #24 on: April 10, 2014, 09:41:33 am »
From what ive seen, I agree. I passed the online exam with knowledge gained from this forum and how to brew, and brew strong podcasts. I purused the study guide but found a few things counterintuitive, so I didn't spend much time on that.

Offline Jimmy K

• Delaware
« Reply #25 on: April 11, 2014, 03:04:18 pm »
FWIW. To score really high (master, maybe national) BJCP graders are told to look for independent thought - especially on the written exam. So they aren't looking for people to parrot the study guides. If you know newer info from a broad range of sources, can put it on paper, and look like you know what you're talking about you'll be rewarded in your grade.

Sent from my XT1030 using Tapatalk

Delmarva United Homebrewers - President by inverse coup - former president ousted himself.
AHA Member since 2006
BJCP Certified: B0958

Offline klickitat jim

• I must live here
« Reply #26 on: April 11, 2014, 08:32:56 pm »
FWIW. To score really high (master, maybe national) BJCP graders are told to look for independent thought - especially on the written exam. So they aren't looking for people to parrot the study guides. If you know newer info from a broad range of sources, can put it on paper, and look like you know what you're talking about you'll be rewarded in your grade.

Sent from my XT1030 using Tapatalk

Sweet. Thanks