Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Noob judge observations  (Read 11299 times)

Offline hopfenundmalz

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Milford, MI
Re: Noob judge observations
« Reply #15 on: April 06, 2014, 05:01:55 pm »
We all have met Denny somewhere in the Homebrewing continuum. Jim, you will too someday.
Jeff Rankert
AHA Lifetime Member
BJCP National
Ann Arbor Brewers Guild
Home-brewing, not just a hobby, it is a lifestyle!

S. cerevisiae

« Reply #16 on: April 06, 2014, 05:18:22 pm »
I had little idea of what to expect for quality or scores. After 8 or so Stouts, 10 or so Porters, and a dozen American Ales, (a large enough number to get a feel) I found most were fairly well made. Only three or four had serious issues. None were gag reflex undrinkable.  The numbers were what struck me. I didn't keep a tally but most were mid to high 20s. Only about 10% broke the 40 mark. I think our highest was 42. So I now think 35 and up is something to be happy with. I suppose it depends on your level of skill and experience though.

I personally believe that brewers should be happy to receive any score above 29.  A 30 beer is a beer that is good enough to sell.  The difference between a 30 beer and a 40 beer is usually style guideline related, not beer quality related.

Offline klickitat jim

• I must live here
« Reply #17 on: April 06, 2014, 05:47:50 pm »
I tend to agree with this. Actually there are many fairly well known beers on the market that are great but don't fit the guidelines super well.

The scoring is unique compared to the rest of the world. It seems like 30 of 50 would be low. That's a 60%, which in the real world is a D, and one point over failure.  But the point spread definition at the bottom of the page puts it in perspective. Anyway, it was a great experience

Offline dbeechum

• Global Moderator
  • I spend way too much time on the AHA forum
  • Pasadena, CA
    • Experimental Brewing
« Reply #18 on: April 06, 2014, 10:06:19 pm »
We all have met Denny somewhere in the Homebrewing continuum. Jim, you will too someday.

Some of us, more than we'd like! :)
Drew Beechum - Maltosefalcons.com
- Vote in the AHA GC Election! - http://bit.ly/1aV9GVd  -
-----
Burbling:
Gnome is in the Details
*Experimental Brewing - The Book*
Tap:
Peanut Butter Jelly Time
Tupelo Mead
Farmhouse Brett Saison

Offline udubdawg

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #19 on: April 07, 2014, 07:11:44 am »
I had little idea of what to expect for quality or scores. After 8 or so Stouts, 10 or so Porters, and a dozen American Ales, (a large enough number to get a feel) I found most were fairly well made. Only three or four had serious issues. None were gag reflex undrinkable.  The numbers were what struck me. I didn't keep a tally but most were mid to high 20s. Only about 10% broke the 40 mark. I think our highest was 42. So I now think 35 and up is something to be happy with. I suppose it depends on your level of skill and experience though.

I personally believe that brewers should be happy to receive any score above 29.   A 30 beer is a beer that is good enough to sell.  The difference between a 30 beer and a 40 beer is usually style guideline related, not beer quality related.

I started to disagree, but then realized that is only because I am a judge.  I'm sure someone's going to take this the wrong way, but with a few exceptions I view a 30 on one of my beers as a waste of an entry fee.  My personal goal for some time has required a 36 to be satisfied.  But then, people use so little of the scale perhaps I need to adjust.  So, long story short, I sort of agree.

cheers--
--Michael

Offline klickitat jim

• I must live here
« Reply #20 on: April 07, 2014, 08:10:03 am »
I think "realistic" exists somewhere between "woo hoo I didn't get a 13" and "damn it, that was a 49 beer! "

Offline tschmidlin

• I must live here
  • Redmond, WA
« Reply #21 on: April 07, 2014, 09:40:30 am »
I just don't think you can make rules like a certain score means a certain thing.  Too many things that are beyond the control of the brewer influence the scores .  I've had the same beer get a 45 and a 23 in competition, and the latter entry was not a bad bottle.  Based on the judges comments, it finished both dry and cloying, with a specialty flavor both overwhelming and absent, depending on which score sheet you read.  That's an extreme case, however not all judges score the beers the same way.  I tend to run a few points higher than most people I judge with, so a 33 from me could be a 28 from another judge.  That doesn't mean the beer in their cup is 5 points worse.
Tom Schmidlin

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #22 on: April 07, 2014, 10:15:59 am »

To me, meeting other homebrewers is the best part of the hobby.  No, really!
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #23 on: April 07, 2014, 10:16:32 am »

Some of us, more than we'd like! :)

Hey now!  ;)
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline klickitat jim

• I must live here
« Reply #24 on: April 07, 2014, 11:54:47 am »
I just don't think you can make rules like a certain score means a certain thing.  Too many things that are beyond the control of the brewer influence the scores .  I've had the same beer get a 45 and a 23 in competition, and the latter entry was not a bad bottle.  Based on the judges comments, it finished both dry and cloying, with a specialty flavor both overwhelming and absent, depending on which score sheet you read.  That's an extreme case, however not all judges score the beers the same way.  I tend to run a few points higher than most people I judge with, so a 33 from me could be a 28 from another judge.  That doesn't mean the beer in their cup is 5 points worse.

The couple beers that I judged to be more than 5 points lower than tye other judges were beers that I detected both phenolic and oxydation. So when I read the scoring guide at the bottom, where it says "off flavors" plural, more than one... I was thinking that two off flavors would limit it to a score between 14-20. They explained that the score guide isn't the rule, and if tye off flavors are minor it could score higher. IIRC I adjusted up to 22 and they came down a couple.

I dont know what that has to do with anything, but im curious for thoughts on how much the Score Guide should be followed.

Offline jaftak22

• Assistant Brewer
« Reply #25 on: April 07, 2014, 05:20:42 pm »
That's pretty cool man. Hope to get into judging after the Army moves me to Ft Lewis.  Good to see your wife get involved with everything. Did you have to twist her arm or she just that kind of person?

Offline klickitat jim

• I must live here
« Reply #26 on: April 07, 2014, 08:03:13 pm »
We do everything together. Hence the avatar. But yes, it meant the world to me that they accepted her and she super enjoyed it. She was even light heartedly annoyed by the cellar master, cuz he was telling people she was head steward.

Edit:
Literally everything. Even at work she's telling me where to go, who to talk to... or constantly asking me what I'm doing.
« Last Edit: April 07, 2014, 08:43:36 pm by klickitat jim »

Offline garc_mall

• Brewmaster
  • [1892.9, 294.9deg] AR Lynnwood, WA
« Reply #27 on: April 07, 2014, 11:14:54 pm »
That's pretty cool man. Hope to get into judging after the Army moves me to Ft Lewis.  Good to see your wife get involved with everything. Did you have to twist her arm or she just that kind of person?

Ft Lewis actually has a rather large homebrew competition sponsored by the MWR. They are always looking for judges, so you shouldn't have a problem with it.

Offline jaftak22

• Assistant Brewer
« Reply #28 on: April 08, 2014, 07:50:36 am »

Ft Lewis actually has a rather large homebrew competition sponsored by the MWR. They are always looking for judges, so you shouldn't have a problem with it.

That's good to hear. I knew that there would be a homebrew scene up there. It was either that or germany. Wife didn't wanna go

Offline hopfenundmalz

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Milford, MI
« Reply #29 on: April 08, 2014, 08:51:01 am »

That's good to hear. I knew that there would be a homebrew scene up there. It was either that or germany. Wife didn't wanna go

My wife agreed to go, had the time of her life.

Business assignment for me, not military.
Jeff Rankert
AHA Lifetime Member
BJCP National
Ann Arbor Brewers Guild
Home-brewing, not just a hobby, it is a lifestyle!