Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: aging of moderately high ABV beers  (Read 1137 times)

Offline Iliff Ave

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
aging of moderately high ABV beers
« on: April 11, 2014, 12:01:17 pm »
Hey guys. Just bottled a 7.8% ABV beer which I realize is not that high but a lot higher than I usually do nonetheless. I rarely bottle anymore as well. Any thoughts on how long to age this guy? I assume at least a month? I know there are no hard set rules but just looking for advice mainly.

I am calling it a double red ale and it has a healthy amount of columbus, centennial, and simcoe hops although it is not in the IPA range and not dry hopped.

I am thinking about storing them around 68F for a 3-4 weeks so that they can carb properly then begin to age in the fridge and test on a weekly basis. Very soon my non-refridgerated storage area will begin to rise from 65 to well above 70.
On Tap/Bottled: IPL, Adjunct Vienna, Golden Stout, Honey Lager
Fermenting: IPA
Up Next: mexi lager, Germerican pale ale

Offline dmtaylor

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Lord Idiot the Lazy
    • YEAST MASTER Perma-Living
Re: aging of moderately high ABV beers
« Reply #1 on: April 11, 2014, 12:26:00 pm »
Age it for as long as it takes to taste good.  If it tastes great in 2-3 weeks, start drinking it in 2-3 weeks.  Age is NOT always a good thing.  It can help if the flavors are too harsh when it's young.  But if it's NOT harsh when young, then DRINK IT YOUNG!
Dave

The world will become a much more pleasant place to live when each and every one of us realizes that we are all idiots.

Offline HoosierBrew

• I must live here
  • Indianapolis,IN
« Reply #2 on: April 11, 2014, 12:33:06 pm »
 Depends on what you're looking for. If you want the hop character to really come through, drink it soon. If you want to 'age' it for a bit to let the flavors round out some, then wait 3 or 4 weeks and try one to assess.
Jon H.

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #3 on: April 11, 2014, 12:34:19 pm »
Age it for as long as it takes to taste good.  If it tastes great in 2-3 weeks, start drinking it in 2-3 weeks.  Age is NOT always a good thing.  It can help if the flavors are too harsh when it's young.  But if it's NOT harsh when young, then DRINK IT YOUNG!

Correct answer! ^^^^^^
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell