Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Chicago  (Read 4686 times)

Offline 69franx

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Bloatarian Brewing League
Chicago
« on: April 06, 2014, 02:14:37 pm »
I am going to be in Chicago next weekend. South loop area. Looking for suggestions for breweries or beer bars close by. Walking distance best, but short ride not a problem. Who has must try/must visit recs? Looking at Friday night late or Saturday. Your experienced recs are most appreciated:)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Frank L.
Fermenting: Nothing (ugh!)
Conditioning: Nothing (UGH!)
In keg: Nothing (Double UGH!)
In the works:  House IPA, Dark Mild, Ballantine Ale clone(still trying to work this one into the schedule)

Offline hopfenundmalz

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Milford, MI
Re: Chicago
« Reply #1 on: April 06, 2014, 03:12:56 pm »
South Loop has been undergoing gentrification, but no breweries or good bars that I know of. There may be some now, but you will have to ask a local.

Downtown there is Jake Melnicks, an OK beer bar.

Haymarket is a favorite. You can get close with the green line, it is on Randolph west of the expressway.

The blue line can get you up to near Peace and the MapRoom, the later is tops for me in Chicago.

The red line can get you to Goose Island, Sheffields and Hopleaf, though that last one is a long way north.

It is a big city with decent transportation, so with some planing you can find your way to a few.
Jeff Rankert
AHA Lifetime Member
BJCP National
Ann Arbor Brewers Guild
Home-brewing, not just a hobby, it is a lifestyle!

Offline BrewingRover

• Brewmaster
  • Brewing in Flossmoor, IL
« Reply #2 on: April 07, 2014, 08:01:50 pm »
My favorite place closest to the South Loop is Miller's Pub. It's a classic old school place with a surprisingly good beer list. Wabash & Adams
http://millerspub.com/

Clark Street Ale House is very close to the Red Line and is my favorite bar downtown. No food, but good selection. Clark & Chicago
http://www.clarkstreetalehouse.com/

Monk's Pub is a funky place, but their hours may not match yours. Lake & Wells
http://www.monkspubchicago.com

And there's always the Binny's taproom. Giant bottle shop with taps. It's not the greatest walk, depending on which side of the river you're on
http://www.binnys.com/location/chicago+-+south+loop
It's such a fine line between stupid and clever.

Offline 69franx

« Reply #3 on: April 07, 2014, 08:22:02 pm »
Thanks to both of you. Will let you know what I find and try out. Have a great week

Frank L.
In the works:  House IPA, Dark Mild, Ballantine Ale clone(still trying to work this one into the schedule)

Offline 69franx

« Reply #4 on: April 07, 2014, 08:49:39 pm »
Looking for kid friendly now. Just found out SWMBO kids will be with us( not our week, caught me by surprise) so any new thoughts? Brewpubs that serve kids will work, but no bars

Frank L.

Offline hopfenundmalz

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Milford, MI
« Reply #5 on: April 07, 2014, 08:52:12 pm »
Looking for kid friendly now. Just found out SWMBO kids will be with us( not our week, caught me by surprise) so any new thoughts? Brewpubs that serve kids will work, but no bars

There is a Rock Bottom on the red line at the Grand stop.

BrewingRover might have more, as he is local.
« Last Edit: April 07, 2014, 08:53:50 pm by hopfenundmalz »
Jeff Rankert
AHA Lifetime Member
BJCP National
Ann Arbor Brewers Guild

Offline ajk

• Brewer
  • Foam Blowers of Indiana (FBI)
« Reply #6 on: April 08, 2014, 05:33:30 am »
I'll be in that area Friday visiting Haymarket and maybe a couple of other places before going up to Half Acre and then out to Aurora to judge.

Offline BrewingRover

• Brewmaster
  • Brewing in Flossmoor, IL
« Reply #7 on: April 08, 2014, 05:47:03 am »

There is a Rock Bottom on the red line at the Grand stop.

BrewingRover might have more, as he is local.

Rock Bottom is okay, but it's the only brewpub downtown. Miller's Pub is more restaurant than bar and is kid friendly.

Goose Island's Clybourn brewpub is kid friendly and reachable from the El. The Brown Line to Armitage is a ride that your kids might enjoy. The walk from there is a lot more interesting than the walk from the Red Line.
It's such a fine line between stupid and clever.

Offline 69franx

« Reply #8 on: April 08, 2014, 01:31:07 pm »
Thanks BrewingRover! Anything besides a Rock Bottom( we have one nearby in Cincy) sounds great. The kid friendly recs are also very helpful. The 10 year old will also certainly like the ride as well!

Frank L.

Offline 69franx

« Reply #9 on: April 08, 2014, 07:11:46 pm »
Just checked Miller's beer menu out online. Very impressive! Hoping we can make it there

Frank L.

Offline Joe Sr.

• Chicago - NORTH SIDE
« Reply #10 on: April 09, 2014, 07:57:18 am »
Monk's Pub is a funky place, but their hours may not match yours. Lake & Wells
http://www.monkspubchicago.com

I love the Monk's recommendation.  Used to go there when I worked at City Hall and had my farewell party there.  Floor full of peanut shells.  Dim lighting.  Old school.

Miller's is another old school recommendation.  S'posed to have good ribs but I don't recall if I've ever had them.  I probably have.

With kids in tow, I'd check out the Goose Island Clybourn location.  They usually have several somethings on tap you can't get elsewhere.  The food is decent, too.

Even though Jeff thinks the Hopleaf is so far north, it's in my neck of the way (or nape of the woods, if you prefer).  Kids are not welcome there, but that stretch of Clark Street has a lot of good bars and restaurants and boutique shopping.  Half Acre and Metropolitan Brewing are close by (walking distance) as is Koval Distillery in the event you would have time for a tour.  Hamburger Mary's brews their own beer, though I've found it to be hit or miss.  They usually have a few on tap and it is actually brewed right there.

If you get up that way, I'd hit Lady Gregory's (good beer list, specatacular whiskey selection) and Jerry's, for sure.  Big Jones is a New Orleans style restaurant and has a solid bar as well.

With the kids, you could hit George's for ice cream or Taste of Heaven (though they don't really like kids there).

Unfortunately, there's not that much downtown.  You really need to get out into the funkier neighborhoods to find the gems.
It's all in the reflexes. - Jack Burton

Offline hopfenundmalz

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Milford, MI
« Reply #11 on: April 09, 2014, 08:39:05 am »
How have I missed Monk's after all the time staying in the Loop?

Joe, it does seem like a long ride on the Red line. If it is your daily commute, it may seem quick. It all depends on what 69franx defines as short.

With children, well then, Local Option might be out.

Jeff Rankert
AHA Lifetime Member
BJCP National
Ann Arbor Brewers Guild

Offline Joe Sr.

• Chicago - NORTH SIDE
« Reply #12 on: April 09, 2014, 09:07:13 am »
How have I missed Monk's after all the time staying in the Loop?

Joe, it does seem like a long ride on the Red line. If it is your daily commute, it may seem quick. It all depends on what 69franx defines as short.

With children, well then, Local Option might be out.

It IS a long ride on the Red line, but any trip on our lovely public transit system seems long to me.

I'm lucky that my office is close to home and I've not taken public transit on a daily basis for almost 15 years.

When I did take the Red line downtown, it was 45 minutes door to door.  Cabs are quicker, but would be close to $30 with tip.
It's all in the reflexes. - Jack Burton

Offline 69franx

« Reply #13 on: April 11, 2014, 08:30:19 pm »
Thanks all. We walked to Miller's pub from S Clark street. Great ambiance, awesome beer selection. Getting ready to order some food. Out local host agrees they have great food, so I can't wait. Thanks again!

Frank L.

Offline 69franx

Chicago
« Reply #14 on: April 11, 2014, 09:26:32 pm »
Had the French dip, great stuff. Had a zombie dust draft and a bottle of The Sixth Glass, both just great. Wishing my head cold would go away so I could have another brew

Edit: then we cabbed it back to Hackney's for a nightcap. I tried Solemn Oath's "Death by Vikings DIPA" loved it. Another fun little stop
« Last Edit: April 11, 2014, 10:01:03 pm by 69franx »
Frank L.