General Category > Extract/Partial Mash Brewing

All Grain to Extract Success Stories

(1/4) > >>

flbrewer:
Can extract brewers chime in on any past successes when converting all grain recipes to extract? I've converted quite a few in Beer Smith, but curious how your mileage has been once you've brewed.

Joe Sr.:
I've converted most all of my regular recipes from all-grain to extract and back to partial mash. With the exception of my original recipes.

I have not used beersmith for most of the conversions but instead used 3/4 lb to 1 lb for grain to lme and 2/3 to 1 for dme.

For the most part it's worked well for me.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

erockrph:
I doesn't work for every style, but the few times I've done so I've generally had good luck by keeping the specialty grain amounts the same and using these as my steeping grains. Then I add enough extra light or pilsner DME to the recipe until it matches the OG of the original recipe.

If the base malts contain a lot of wheat or Munich malt, then I will start with the specialty grains, then add double the amount (by %) of either Munich or wheat extract (Munich and wheat extracts are usually around 50% Munich or wheat and 50% pale malt, so you need twice as much of the extract). Then add extra light or Pilsner DME to get you to the OG you're shooting for.

Joe Sr.:

--- Quote from: erockrph on April 06, 2014, 08:48:36 PM ---I doesn't work for every style, but the few times I've done so I've generally had good luck by keeping the specialty grain amounts the same and using these as my steeping grains. Then I add enough extra light or pilsner DME to the recipe until it matches the OG of the original recipe.

--- End quote ---

This is exactly the way I used to go about it.

I would also say if you're steeping, you should go ahead and do a mini-mash.  That's a good way to bring in the Munich malt, etc.  If you don't hit what you're looking for, adjust the specialty grains, etc. and rebrew.

denny:

--- Quote from: FLbrewer on April 06, 2014, 04:15:07 PM ---Can extract brewers chime in on any past successes when converting all grain recipes to extract? I've converted quite a few in Beer Smith, but curious how your mileage has been once you've brewed.

--- End quote ---

I converted both my Waldo Lake Amber and Rye IPA recipes to extract for Northern Brewer kits.  Took a few tries of each to get it right, but I'm pleased at how closely they compare.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version