Author Topic: DME + LME  (Read 524 times)

Offline flbrewer

• Senior Brewmaster
    • View Profile
DME + LME
« on: April 06, 2014, 04:20:24 PM »
Why would a recipe http://digitaleditions.walsworthprintgroup.com//display_article.php?id=846711&id_issue=82760, call for both DME and LME of the same extract? Wouldn't converting one to another allow for the same exact effect while only using one?
« Last Edit: April 06, 2014, 04:22:16 PM by FLbrewer »

Offline dmtaylor

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Two Rivers, WI
    • View Profile
Re: DME + LME
« Reply #1 on: April 06, 2014, 05:19:48 PM »
Apparently the recipe designer prefers the taste of LME but doesn't like to use a partial can.  Makes sense to me.  Feel free to substitute as you see fit.  If you brew it differently then it becomes YOUR recipe!
Dave

"This is grain, which any fool can eat, but for which the Lord intended a more divine means of consumption. Let us give praise to our Maker, and glory to His bounty, by learning about... BEER!" - Friar Tuck (Robin Hood - Prince of Thieves)

Offline ranchovillabrew

• Brewer
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 06, 2014, 06:43:25 PM »
My lhbs sells lme in 6 or 8 lb bags. Always wrote extract recipes with either of those as starting points. 

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

- Charles

Offline erockrph

• Official Poobah of No Life.
  • Chepachet, RI
    • View Profile
    • The Hop WHisperer
« Reply #3 on: April 06, 2014, 08:50:38 PM »
Agreed. Most recipes call for full can quantities of LME. LME is a lot more perishable then DME, so most brewers don't like to have partial cans laying around.
Eric B.

Finally got around to starting a homebrewing blog: The Hop Whisperer

Offline ranchovillabrew

• Brewer
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 06, 2014, 08:56:29 PM »
Also a problem to measure lme.  Need two containers to weigh the lme. Much easier to add dme to bump up gravity

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

- Charles