Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: How did the brew weekend go?!  (Read 5789 times)

Offline Wheat_Brewer

• Assistant Brewer
  • Bad Bunny Brewing
How did the brew weekend go?!
« on: April 07, 2014, 08:22:10 am »
Just wondering how everybody's brew weekend went!

Personally, mine went all kinds of wrong. I attempted to brew a Vienna so I can lager it for a long time, but nothing went right. First it snowed, then the wind blew the flame on my boil out (for 20 minutes because I couldn't get it going), and despite all my pre-boil numbers being spot on I somehow came up well short for my SG...just one of those brews that despite all efforts didn't work out. Still gonna keep the Vienna and maybe call it something else.

Cheers!
AHA Lifetime Member

Offline HobsonDrake

• Assistant Brewer
  • Beaverton, OR
    • Brew Batch List
Re: How did the brew weekend go?!
« Reply #1 on: April 07, 2014, 08:56:05 am »
Not to bad here. Missed my mash starting temp by 2 degrees low. It fell a lot more then I remember it in the past. But then again I was planning on a 60 min mash and it turned into 90. So it will be interesting to see what I end up with. Started at 152 and ended at 146.
SG was to be 1.055 and I got 1.060. Never missed high before. So I'm OK with that.
This was for a brown ale. Using WLP005 for the first time as well.
Can't wait for it to finish.
Check out my brew history and recipes at http://www.hobsondrake.com/BrewList.html

John D.

Offline fmader

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #2 on: April 07, 2014, 09:08:03 am »
I got a lot accomplished on Friday. I brewed an 11 gallon batch of a golden ale that is lightly hopped with citra and galaxy. Half of which will be served at my wedding (High Tides Honeymoon Ale). I also kegged a barleywine that had been fermenting for about 40 days or so. I kegged a Christmas ale to she a few months for Christmas in July. This was a rebrew of a beer that I did for Christmas. It tasted way better out of the hydrometer sample. It has vanilla, cinnamon, ginger, cloves, nutmeg, and cherries in it. I adjusted those amounts and switched the yeast from 001 to 002. I also racked a cherry wheat (also served at the wedding) onto 32oz of high quality tart cherry concentrate.

The only problem that I ran into over the weekend is that the secondary fermentation was more active than expected. I didn't have a complete explosion, but the cap off the airlock popped off. But it did keep a solid lock though. Just wiped off the bucket and changed the airlock. No big deal. WLP 320 is some active yeast.
Frank

Offline morticaixavier

• I must live here
  • Underhill VT
    • The Best Artist in the WORLD!!!!!
« Reply #3 on: April 07, 2014, 09:11:18 am »
I managed a very early prototype (more of an crude experiment) of my future 1 gallon wood burning rocket stove brew stand. Just testing concept at this point. only tangentially brewing related.

I also determined that my ryerish stout is not terribly far off Guinness from the bottle (sans widget).
"Creativity is the residue of wasted time"
-A Einstein

"errors are [...] the portals of discovery"
- J Joyce

Offline erockrph

• I must live here
  • Chepachet, RI
    • The Hop WHisperer
« Reply #4 on: April 07, 2014, 09:25:43 am »
Brewed a batch of green sludge on friday :) Right now I'm having a hard time telling where the krausen begins and the wort ends.

I'm also starting to wonder if there's a point where hops start to suppress the growth of Saccharomyces.
Eric B.

Finally got around to starting a homebrewing blog: The Hop Whisperer

Offline flbrewer

• Brewmaster General
« Reply #5 on: April 07, 2014, 09:29:49 am »
Pondered the perfect IPA recipe. Asked far too any questions, and wondered what I'll do with way too many hops!

Offline HoosierBrew

• I must live here
  • Indianapolis,IN
« Reply #6 on: April 07, 2014, 09:35:20 am »
Brewed A BoPils, and things went well. Hit my OG (1.052) right on, pitched @ 48F. Can't wait !
Jon H.

Offline kmccaf

• Brewmaster
  • Kyle (Champaign, Hensley Township, Il)
« Reply #7 on: April 07, 2014, 10:10:54 am »
Some hits and misses this weekend. I was going to bottle a Landbier that I pitched a cake of 2278 into, and found it had stalled at 1.032 (from 1.056). Had been planning on pitching that cake into a CAP. Oh well, bottled the other 5 gallons from that batch that I had pitched 833 into (finishing gravity at 1.012). Brewed the CAP on Sunday. Used Cluster and Pacific Jade for the hops. Also, realized that my hydrometer is reading way off. So, all the readings this weekend are more like good guesses.

Brew day went quite well though.
Kyle M.

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #8 on: April 07, 2014, 10:13:35 am »
No brewing this weekend.  Gonna do a split batch experimental brew tomorrow.
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline WDE97

• Assistant Brewer
  • Lewiston, ID
« Reply #9 on: April 07, 2014, 10:43:03 am »
Pretty good brewing weekend for me. Did a Flander's Red on Saturday to replace one I just bottled last week. Pitched it on a yeast cake from a previous batch that was fermented with East Coast Yeast Flemish Ale yeast. Interested to see how it works out on the second generation. The first batch was seriously sour, but oh so good!

Sunday our brew club did an 18gal batch of Russian Imperial Stout to fill up a 15gal rye whiskey barrel we just picked up. Always fun to brew with the club!
Robert H.

There's a fine line between fishing and just standing on the shore like an idiot.    - Steven Wright

On tap: Strong Scotch Ale, RIS, ESB, Saison.

Fermenting: Belgian Dark Strong, Kolsch.

Up next: Bock, NEIPA, Brett Saison

Offline morticaixavier

• I must live here
  • Underhill VT
    • The Best Artist in the WORLD!!!!!
« Reply #10 on: April 07, 2014, 10:44:36 am »
that is a full cooler. is that the 100qt?
"Creativity is the residue of wasted time"
-A Einstein

"errors are [...] the portals of discovery"
- J Joyce

Offline HoosierBrew

• I must live here
  • Indianapolis,IN
« Reply #11 on: April 07, 2014, 10:46:19 am »
Looks like it.  Whoa !  That thing is full tilt.
Jon H.

Offline Pinski

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Portland, Oregon
« Reply #12 on: April 07, 2014, 10:49:50 am »
Kegged a Kiwanda inspired Cream Ale, aroma is spot-on. I'll carb up a sample this evening and see how it stands up to the original. Checked up on a Maudite inspired BDSA that is coming along nicely.
Steve Carper
Green Dragon Brewers
Clubs: Oregon Brew Crew & Strange Brew
BJCP Certified

Offline duboman

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #13 on: April 07, 2014, 10:51:31 am »
Had a good weekend, brewed the base for my hard Rootbeer and kegged my Belgian White
Peace....Love......Beer......

The Commune Brewing Company-Perfecting the craft of beer since 2010

Offline Alewyfe

• Brewer
  • Fighting for Truth, Justice & Home Brew
« Reply #14 on: April 07, 2014, 11:23:40 am »
Brewed a Summit Ale clone out of an old BYO mag for a donation to our upcoming Habitat for Humanity Brewhaha Brewfest in May at which our very own Denny Conn will be a featured speaker.

Every batch, I seem to make some kind of adjustment to my brew set up which necessitates cutting hoses, changing connectors and generally using up enough time to make brew day really long. Yesterday was no exception. I started early but didn't finish until just before dark. Hopefully I'm done with that and next brew day will finish before I'm ready for bed. Yeast was another issue.  I pulled a 2nd gen. sample of 1275 out of the fridge from September, and though it took off great it took a lot of time and  3.5l starter to get the cell count up. That stuff is sure a great top cropper....also a bathroom counter cropper if you overfill the flask.

Results will not be in for a few weeks of course, but the session went great otherwise. Highest mash efficiency numbers to date and mash temp spot on. That kind of makes all the ditzing around worthwhile.

Diane
Roseburg, Oregon
Member: Umpqua Valley Brewers Guild
             Cascade Brewers Society
             AHA

"Have no fear of perfection...you'll never reach it" ~Salvador Dali

"Growing old is mandatory. Growing up? Definitely optional!"