Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: How did the brew weekend go?!  (Read 5790 times)

Offline klickitat jim

• I must live here
Re: How did the brew weekend go?!
« Reply #15 on: April 07, 2014, 11:32:30 am »
Kegged a Kiwanda inspired Cream Ale, aroma is spot-on. I'll carb up a sample this evening and see how it stands up to the original. Checked up on a Maudite inspired BDSA that is coming along nicely.

Im a Kiwanda CA fan. I like their Scotty too.

Offline WDE97

• Assistant Brewer
  • Lewiston, ID
« Reply #16 on: April 07, 2014, 11:39:51 am »
that is a full cooler. is that the 100qt?

It's around 165qt. We used 75 lbs of grain and just barely got everything in there, as you can see! Pretty thick mash, but we still got about 60-65% efficiency.
Robert H.

There's a fine line between fishing and just standing on the shore like an idiot.    - Steven Wright

On tap: Strong Scotch Ale, RIS, ESB, Saison.

Fermenting: Belgian Dark Strong, Kolsch.

Up next: Bock, NEIPA, Brett Saison

Offline Alewyfe

• Brewer
  • Fighting for Truth, Justice & Home Brew
« Reply #17 on: April 07, 2014, 11:48:01 am »
Kegged a Kiwanda inspired Cream Ale, aroma is spot-on. I'll carb up a sample this evening and see how it stands up to the original. Checked up on a Maudite inspired BDSA that is coming along nicely.

Im a Kiwanda CA fan. I like their Scotty too.

+1 and Silverspot IPA...I just love the Pelican. Any beer tastes better in a setting like that too. Sand between your toes and sunset over the haystack rocks. Road trip anyone?
Diane
Roseburg, Oregon
Member: Umpqua Valley Brewers Guild
             Cascade Brewers Society
             AHA

"Have no fear of perfection...you'll never reach it" ~Salvador Dali

"Growing old is mandatory. Growing up? Definitely optional!"

Offline morticaixavier

• I must live here
  • Underhill VT
    • The Best Artist in the WORLD!!!!!
« Reply #18 on: April 07, 2014, 11:48:58 am »
that is a full cooler. is that the 100qt?

It's around 165qt. We used 75 lbs of grain and just barely got everything in there, as you can see! Pretty thick mash, but we still got about 60-65% efficiency.

nice. I've got the 72 qt and it can just barely handle ~30 lb of grain. when I do a partigyle it looks just like that one
"Creativity is the residue of wasted time"
-A Einstein

"errors are [...] the portals of discovery"
- J Joyce

Offline riceral

• Brewer
« Reply #19 on: April 07, 2014, 11:55:00 am »
I didn't brew but helped out at the craft brew festival
           http://www.hogtownbeerfest.com/beerfest/   
Ralph R.

Offline tomsawyer

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #20 on: April 07, 2014, 12:39:19 pm »
I transferred two kegs of German pils off gelatin, looked nice and clear in the transfer hose.  The true test will come when I chill it down.

Then I kegged 10gal of doppelbock.  I tasted it and its right where I want it to be.  OG was 1.075 down to FG 1.020 with WLP833.  Very rich malt character but not harsh with just enough sweetness to balance, and the color is spot on.  I used a crazy amount of melanoidin malt, about 5%.  I kegged with gelatin and will transfer them off next week.

After I got these done, I cleaned up the Brewhemoth and have it ready for my next brew, a blonde that I'm going to split to keg some with strawberry flavoring.
Lennie
Hannibal, MO

Offline gmac

• Brewmaster General
  • London, Ontario
« Reply #21 on: April 07, 2014, 01:24:11 pm »
Brewed a 15 gal batch of German Pilsner to try out one of my new Brewhemoth fermenters.  First time using it.  Either I mis-counted when measuring grain (very likely) or I got much higher than expected efficiency but my OG ended up at 1.060 instead of the 1.052 I was hoping for.  I'm letting it ferment as is and then I'm going to add a half gallon or so of boiled distilled water to each keg prior to kegging to bring the FG back down in line with where I wanted it.

I like beer too much and drink too much of it so I'm finding anything over about 4.5% ABV can sneak up on me.  I'm working on keeping my ABVs to 4 or less in all styles but it seems no matter what I do, my efficiency is always higher than I expect and I over shoot.  I've been calculating at 80% but I'm going to up it to 85 and see how that works.  I would have said historically 80% was good but maybe my mill crush has changed or something and I'm doing better.  Who knows?

Offline chumley

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #22 on: April 07, 2014, 01:32:52 pm »
I cleaned 4 kegs, and transfered 10 gallons of Bohemian pilsner from lagering kegs to clean kegs, to get them off the yeast.  They have been lagering for 6 weeks but still taste a bit green.

I also sampled the maibock.  Only two weeks of lagering so far, but it is a thing of beauty. The maibock was brewed on the yeast cake of the bo pils, so the lesson learned is use lots of yeast for lagers.

Offline tomsawyer

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #23 on: April 07, 2014, 03:16:51 pm »
gmac, I brewed 17gal of German pils in my Brewhemoth a couple months ago, then followed that up with the doppelbock.  My pils was only 1.046, right where I wanted it.

One other thing  I did was to finally plumb my 100qt cooler mashtun.  The Coleman Xtreme was too thick for a plain valve and kettle screen so I had to improvise with some Home Depot parts.  Worked, no leaks either.  Now I can brew 15gal batches with impunity.
Lennie
Hannibal, MO

Offline gmac

• Brewmaster General
  • London, Ontario
« Reply #24 on: April 07, 2014, 04:11:40 pm »
gmac, I brewed 17gal of German pils in my Brewhemoth a couple months ago, then followed that up with the doppelbock.  My pils was only 1.046, right where I wanted it.

One other thing  I did was to finally plumb my 100qt cooler mashtun.  The Coleman Xtreme was too thick for a plain valve and kettle screen so I had to improvise with some Home Depot parts.  Worked, no leaks either.  Now I can brew 15gal batches with impunity.

I ended up throwing out a couple batches in a row. My plastic was contaminated. I went a little nuts and threw it out and replaced it with 3 brewhemoths. I've been doing batches in glass for the last two weeks to build up bigger starter volumes. I've been in a brewing funk but now I'm coming around. Mostly seasonal.
My cooler is 150 qt so I think I could go as big as 30 gals in one batch but I'd need to do two boils since my kettle is only 30 gals.

Offline jaftak22

• Assistant Brewer
« Reply #25 on: April 07, 2014, 05:18:19 pm »
If feel like I have been in a brewing slump for the last two weekends. Nothing has seem to go right for me. Missing my mash temps and such. Gonna step back for my batch this weekend coming up and be more methodical than usual

Offline Stevie

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
« Reply #26 on: April 07, 2014, 05:28:34 pm »

If feel like I have been in a brewing slump for the last two weekends. Nothing has seem to go right for me. Missing my mash temps and such. Gonna step back for my batch this weekend coming up and be more methodical than usual

Sooner or later it's all second nature. The only mess up I make these days is adding hop additions at the wrong time. I chalk those up to too much free time during the brew day (read too many beers in my belly)

Offline HoosierBrew

• I must live here
  • Indianapolis,IN
« Reply #27 on: April 07, 2014, 05:34:58 pm »
We've all been there jaftak22 - don't get discouraged. When you get your system and process dialed in, it'll get alot more fun.
Jon H.

Offline dannyjed

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Toledo, OH
« Reply #28 on: April 07, 2014, 05:53:29 pm »
I brewed a Brown Porter(1.050) and used Wyeast 1728. I can't remember the last time I made a Porter under 1.060.
Dan Chisholm

Offline gmac

• Brewmaster General
  • London, Ontario
« Reply #29 on: April 07, 2014, 07:30:05 pm »

Me too. Biggest thing that has helped is a major clean up and re-org to make things easier. I'm not a neat person so I find myself looking for stuff, fumbling around etc. clearing up the clutter helped a lot. I also took the advice of others on here and tried some new yeast strains that I've been wanting to try so I'm excited to try the beers.