Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Recommend a Grain Mill  (Read 4168 times)

Offline yso191

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Yakima, WA
Recommend a Grain Mill
« on: April 08, 2014, 01:52:51 pm »
On my last brew day my grain mill still acted up.  It would crush for a while, then just sit there and spin for a while.  It didn't do that when new.  I don't know what else to do.  I have adjusted the gap, and cleaned the rollers well.  It is a Cereal Killer mill if that matters.

So now I am thinking new grain mill.  What do you recommend?
Steve
BJCP #D1667

“Fallacies do not cease to be fallacies because they become fashions.” ― G.K. Chesterton

Offline svejk

• Assistant Brewer
  • Seattle, Wa
Re: Recommend a Grain Mill
« Reply #1 on: April 08, 2014, 01:58:41 pm »
Most brewers like their mill, and I'm no exception with my adjustable JSP maltmill.  The biggest selling point for me was that I was able to add the option of a gear drive for the second roller.  There aren't very many mills that offer that ability.

Offline blatz

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Paul Blatz - Jupiter, FL
« Reply #2 on: April 08, 2014, 02:16:44 pm »
I love my Monster Mill.  Got it after i got frustrated with Barley Crusher.
The happiest people don’t necessarily have the best of everything; they just make the best of everything they have.

BJCP National: F0281

Offline Slowbrew

• I spend way too much time on the AHA forum
  • The Slowly Losing IT Brewery in Urbandale, IA
« Reply #3 on: April 08, 2014, 02:17:32 pm »
My Barley Crusher does that when the bushings on the idle roller need to be cleaned and very lightly oiled.  My mill is in the wood shop/brewery so I always have a dowel to poke into the grain and get it started again.  If I ever buy another mill it will probably be a Monster Mill or one of the beefier units available now.

Paul
Where the heck are we going?  And what's with this hand basket?

Offline yso191

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Yakima, WA
« Reply #4 on: April 08, 2014, 02:41:23 pm »
My Barley Crusher does that when the bushings on the idle roller need to be cleaned and very lightly oiled.  My mill is in the wood shop/brewery so I always have a dowel to poke into the grain and get it started again.  If I ever buy another mill it will probably be a Monster Mill or one of the beefier units available now.

Paul

Could you go into how this is done?  It will be a bit to save the money for a new mill - I'm sure I have more brews on the current one yet.
Steve
BJCP #D1667

“Fallacies do not cease to be fallacies because they become fashions.” ― G.K. Chesterton

Offline klickitat jim

• I must live here
« Reply #5 on: April 08, 2014, 05:51:13 pm »
I like my Cereal Killer. Dont throw it away steve, ill take it for parts.

Offline yso191

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Yakima, WA
« Reply #6 on: April 08, 2014, 06:28:48 pm »

I'm sure you have more grain through yours than mine, so glad its working for you.  Maybe it is just a maintenance issue that I don't yet know about... Like the bushing issue noted above.  Do you clean & lube the bushings on the passive roller? 

If it is not a maintenance issue and I do get a new one though, it is yours.  Glad to send it to a good home.
Steve
BJCP #D1667

Offline duboman

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #7 on: April 08, 2014, 06:49:22 pm »
I have the barley crusher now going on 3 years with no problems.

I run 300-500 lbs of grain through it each year on average.

Once every couple months I'll do a good cleaning/ lube of the rollers but otherwise I simply blow it out with compressed air and it seems like a good maintenance program.

The rollers still have good bite to them as well so I'm happy with it.
Peace....Love......Beer......

The Commune Brewing Company-Perfecting the craft of beer since 2010

Offline klickitat jim

• I must live here
« Reply #8 on: April 08, 2014, 06:59:16 pm »

I'm sure you have more grain through yours than mine, so glad its working for you.  Maybe it is just a maintenance issue that I don't yet know about... Like the bushing issue noted above.  Do you clean & lube the bushings on the passive roller? 

If it is not a maintenance issue and I do get a new one though, it is yours.  Glad to send it to a good home.

No mine has about 3 batches on it. Pretty sure its got bearings rather than bushings.

Offline Thirsty_Monk

• Brewmaster General
  • Eau Claire WI
    • Lazy Monk Brewing
« Reply #9 on: April 08, 2014, 07:53:29 pm »
Geared option is great.
I have Monster Mill and put a few lb thru it.
Na Zdravie

Lazy Monk Brewing
http://www.lazymonkbrewing.com

Offline gmac

• Brewmaster General
  • London, Ontario
« Reply #10 on: April 08, 2014, 08:47:53 pm »
Three roller Monster Mill here. Been great. Driven by a half horse drill, no issues after 3 years and probably 800 lbs of grain.

Offline restlesnativ

• Cellarman
« Reply #11 on: April 09, 2014, 07:44:22 am »
I use the Monster Mill 3. I have had zero issues with it.

Offline gymrat

• Brewmaster
  • Ralph's Brewery
« Reply #12 on: April 09, 2014, 08:53:00 am »
Three roller Monster Mill here. Been great. Driven by a half horse drill, no issues after 3 years and probably 800 lbs of grain.

If I ever have to replace my barley crusher that is probably what I will buy. But so far I have been using my Barley Crusher for 2 years with no issues.
Ralph's Brewery
Topeka, KS

Offline Slowbrew

• I spend way too much time on the AHA forum
  • The Slowly Losing IT Brewery in Urbandale, IA
« Reply #13 on: April 09, 2014, 08:59:30 am »

Paul

Could you go into how this is done?  It will be a bit to save the money for a new mill - I'm sure I have more brews on the current one yet.

I can only describe what I do on my BC but I would guess it is applicable. 

Basically I dismantle the base of the mill.  On a BC it entails two bolts that hold it to the base, removing 8 screws from the sides, loosening the adjustment locks and pulling it apart.  Once disassembled you can use compressed air to blow out the dust and chaff and see if there are issues like deformed bushings. 

If it looks good I clean the insides of of the bushings with something like denatured alcohol and lightly oil them with silicon lube.  Then just reassemble and adjust the mill.

Paul
Where the heck are we going?  And what's with this hand basket?

Offline yso191

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Yakima, WA
« Reply #14 on: April 09, 2014, 09:14:04 am »
I can only describe what I do on my BC but I would guess it is applicable. 

Basically I dismantle the base of the mill.  On a BC it entails two bolts that hold it to the base, removing 8 screws from the sides, loosening the adjustment locks and pulling it apart.  Once disassembled you can use compressed air to blow out the dust and chaff and see if there are issues like deformed bushings. 

If it looks good I clean the insides of of the bushings with something like denatured alcohol and lightly oil them with silicon lube.  Then just reassemble and adjust the mill.

Paul
[/quote]

Thanks!  I'll give that a shot.
Steve
BJCP #D1667