Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Cold Steeping Caramel/Crystal Malt?  (Read 2986 times)

Offline crustybfv

• 1st Kit
Cold Steeping Caramel/Crystal Malt?
« on: April 09, 2014, 07:51:32 pm »
I'm planning on splitting a 10-gallon grain bill this weekend, and brewing an American Pale and an Oatmeal stout.  I'm particularly intrigued by the "cold steeping" method, and plan on using that with my chocolate/black patent malt portion of the grain bill to add to the stout fermenter post-boil.  Would it be possible to get a cold-water extract from crystal/caramel malt to add to the APA?
Basic 10-gallon grain bill is:
15 lbs 2-row
2 lbs Munich 10L
1.5 lb crystal 40L
1 lb crystal 80L
1 lb toasted flaked oats
For the stout, I'm add 8 oz black patent and 8 oz chocolate, cold steeped for 24 hours, to the fermenter.  Could I take the crystal malts from the above grain bill and do the same thing, adding them to the APA fermenter? 
Was going to sparge into two boil kettles and get my boil on...then add the roasted extract to the stout recipe.  Thoughts?
This is grain, which any fool can use to make bread.  God, however, intended for it a higher purpose - Beer!

Offline dzlater

• Brewmaster
  • Dan S. New Jersey
Re: Cold Steeping Caramel/Crystal Malt?
« Reply #1 on: April 10, 2014, 04:14:10 am »
I'd think you'd want to boil the wort from from the steeped grains and not add it post boil.
Dan S. from NJ

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #2 on: April 10, 2014, 08:59:23 am »
Yes, you can do the cold steep with crystal, although there's not a lot of reason to.  As was said, be sure to boil it.
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline crustybfv

• 1st Kit
« Reply #3 on: April 12, 2014, 03:50:36 pm »
Thanks...roasted grains are steeping now. 
This is grain, which any fool can use to make bread.  God, however, intended for it a higher purpose - Beer!