Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Dry hops Prior to Finished Fermentation  (Read 3495 times)

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
Re: Dry hops Prior to Finished Fermentation
« Reply #15 on: April 15, 2014, 11:39:01 am »
Was Stan's method to simply dry hop in secondary?

I don't think he was really advocating for one method or another.  He was pointing out that dry hopping before the beer was removed from the yeast will produce different results than dry hopping with the beer on the yeast.  It's up to each of us to try it and decide which method is appropriate for us.
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #16 on: April 15, 2014, 11:39:38 am »
Any advice on temp changes during dry hopping? I know most people say they raise temps to 70 while fermenting out.

My experience is that it doesn't matter much.
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline morticaixavier

• I must live here
  • Underhill VT
    • The Best Artist in the WORLD!!!!!
« Reply #17 on: April 15, 2014, 12:03:04 pm »

I don't think he was really advocating for one method or another.  He was pointing out that dry hopping before the beer was removed from the yeast will produce different results than dry hopping with the beer on the yeast.  It's up to each of us to try it and decide which method is appropriate for us.

I'd go so far as to say it's up to each of us to decide what is right for each particular brew. different results = different tools in the toolbox.
"Creativity is the residue of wasted time"
-A Einstein

"errors are [...] the portals of discovery"
- J Joyce

Offline HoosierBrew

• I must live here
  • Indianapolis,IN
« Reply #18 on: April 15, 2014, 12:05:25 pm »

I'd go so far as to say it's up to each of us to decide what is right for each particular brew. different results = different tools in the toolbox.

+1
Jon H.