Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: First Time Hop Grower  (Read 3786 times)

Offline flbrewer

• Brewmaster General
First Time Hop Grower
« on: April 10, 2014, 04:13:07 pm »
I bought a couple of Cascade rhizomes today and I've done a little snooping around online as to what to do next. I'm planning on planting in a (large) pot and growing them up something like this. Thoughts? I'd like to take up as little space as possible as to not upset the S.O.

Offline fmader

• Senior Brewmaster
Re: First Time Hop Grower
« Reply #1 on: April 10, 2014, 04:44:47 pm »
Are you using this as a sample as what you want? If so, I think you'll need bigger pots and more growth area.

Hops don't only produce beer ingredients, but they are very ornamental. If you have a place to grow them and produce shade, do so. It's win win.

I planted two new centennials this year on either side of an old clothes line. I plan on running a hammock underneath these.
Frank

Offline flbrewer

• Brewmaster General
First Time Hop Grower
« Reply #2 on: April 11, 2014, 09:47:59 am »
Yes, an example. How big of a pot? Can I throw two rhizomes in a pot?
In fact, I'd rather just use a straight pole or long wooden stake in the pot. Is love to take up more space with them but most likely not an option.

Offline Stevie

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
« Reply #3 on: April 11, 2014, 10:01:58 am »

Offline flbrewer

• Brewmaster General
« Reply #4 on: April 11, 2014, 10:09:11 am »
Saw that Steve thanks.

Offline jaftak22

• Assistant Brewer
« Reply #5 on: April 17, 2014, 06:34:25 pm »
I would love to grow some hops. Frickin Army loves to move me around every 3-4 years. Might try my hand at grow ing some at my next station

Offline flbrewer

• Brewmaster General
« Reply #6 on: April 25, 2014, 08:58:36 pm »
Happy to report that only a week in the pot and the plant has peeked through the soil! Pics coming

Offline fmader

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #7 on: April 25, 2014, 09:14:11 pm »
Happy to report that only a week in the pot and the plant has peeked through the soil! Pics coming

Get some lines run. They'll be at least foot long in another week.
Frank

Offline flbrewer

• Brewmaster General
« Reply #8 on: April 25, 2014, 09:20:02 pm »
Yeah thought about. Didn't know it would happen this quickly. Which twine is preferred? Also, any recommendations on watering frequency? I've heard less frequent and heavily when you do.

Offline fmader

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #9 on: April 25, 2014, 09:28:12 pm »
I use 3/8" jute twine. Make sure you have drainage in your pots. Hops live water, but they don't like to sit in water. I would think you would want to do the opposite of what you said. I have no experience with hops in pots, but I would think you would water as needed. Maybe every other day. You don't want the soil to become swampy. You want the hops to be able to utilize all the water you give them.
Frank

Offline fmader

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #10 on: April 25, 2014, 09:33:03 pm »
Really, once the spring rainy season ends, you could find yourself watering these things daily. I used to plant tomatoes in a 12" pot. I had to water them buggers twice a day late summer. Hops are way larger than a tomato plant.
Frank

Offline flbrewer

• Brewmaster General
« Reply #11 on: April 26, 2014, 07:15:01 am »
Not sure if it's a drainage issue or the fact that I used 100% potting mix but it's been damp for almost a week.

Offline fmader

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #12 on: April 26, 2014, 07:31:26 am »
Not sure if it's a drainage issue or the fact that I used 100% potting mix but it's been damp for almost a week.

Damp shouldn't be an issue... You don't want a swamp. I wouldn't stress too much. These things are easy to grow.
Frank

Offline flbrewer

• Brewmaster General
« Reply #13 on: April 26, 2014, 07:34:55 am »
A brief investigation proved that the planter failed to take off the cap on the bottom of the pot, hence no draining!

Offline flbrewer

• Brewmaster General
« Reply #14 on: April 27, 2014, 04:33:35 pm »
Would you mind sharing when I should start to train the vines up the twine? Also, I've already noticed there are multiple vines sprouting up. I believe I saw that people will often put multiple vines on a twine. Thanks!