Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: The latest experiment  (Read 1881 times)

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline klickitat jim

• I must live here
Re: The latest experiment
« Reply #1 on: May 06, 2014, 03:26:41 pm »
Just proves my assertion that pellets are way better

Offline dmtaylor

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Lord Idiot the Lazy
    • YEAST MASTER Perma-Living
« Reply #2 on: May 06, 2014, 03:47:21 pm »
Of course I couldn't not post my 2 cents.  Nice work, Denny, nice work.  I love experiments.
Dave

The world will become a much more pleasant place to live when each and every one of us realizes that we are all idiots.

Offline HoosierBrew

• I must live here
  • Indianapolis,IN
« Reply #3 on: May 06, 2014, 04:21:33 pm »
Pretty interesting, Denny. I look forward to more experiments along these lines. I've always preferred pellets for their consistency, quality, and storage life. But I also love a good wet hopped ale in the fall. Good work !
Jon H.

Offline ncbluesman

• Cellarman
« Reply #4 on: May 08, 2014, 03:24:38 pm »
Cool experiment. Thank you, Denny. I've always been a pellet guy but I'm curious of the impact of 2 of the 4 leaf hops being homegrown.

Offline fmader

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #5 on: May 08, 2014, 08:40:16 pm »
Good deal Denny!
Frank

Offline euge

• I must live here
  • Ego ceruisam ad bibere cervisiam
« Reply #6 on: May 08, 2014, 09:19:20 pm »
Makes me want to buy pellet hops. But, thanks for pointing out the potential variables with the hops and their type, terroir, age and storage that could have skewed the outcome of the test.
The first principle is that you must not fool yourself, and you are the easiest person to fool. -Richard P. Feynman

Laws are spider-webs, which catch the little flies, but cannot hold the big ones. -Anacharsis

Offline erockrph

• I must live here
  • Chepachet, RI
    • The Hop WHisperer
« Reply #7 on: May 08, 2014, 10:11:35 pm »
Great experiment, Denny! There are obviously a few variables that you could isolate a bit better, but it looks like you already noted them and have some ideas how to fine tune things the next time around. Your initial results do make me feel a bit better about my recent change to using pellet hops solely.

Keep us posted if you run this experiment again.
Eric B.

Finally got around to starting a homebrewing blog: The Hop Whisperer

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #8 on: May 09, 2014, 09:22:11 am »
Great experiment, Denny! There are obviously a few variables that you could isolate a bit better, but it looks like you already noted them and have some ideas how to fine tune things the next time around. Your initial results do make me feel a bit better about my recent change to using pellet hops solely.

Keep us posted if you run this experiment again.

Some form of it will definitely be run again at some point.
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell