Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: First Time Hop Grower  (Read 3807 times)

Offline fmader

• Senior Brewmaster
Re: First Time Hop Grower
« Reply #15 on: April 27, 2014, 05:04:35 pm »
I'd wait until they're longer and hardier. You don't want them in the twine and have a strong windstorm that ends up breaking them off. I like to wait to prune my shooters until I'm safe from frost. I'll probably prune back mine Wednesday this week if it's not raining. I cut all but 3 or 4 bines and train them to go up the twine. Go clockwise with them. I'd wait awhile before pruning anything off yours since they're first year hops. Don't expect a lot of hop yield this year given year one is usually devoted to root growth.
Frank

Offline flbrewer

• Brewmaster General
« Reply #16 on: April 27, 2014, 05:16:30 pm »
Frost? It was almost 90 today!

Offline fmader

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #17 on: April 27, 2014, 05:25:16 pm »
Frost? It was almost 90 today!

Yep, you live in Florida lol. We're still having nights in the 30s and had a freeze last week in Ohio, but the hops were pretty resistant of it. Anyways, I don't think you'll want to prune anything for awhile.
« Last Edit: April 27, 2014, 05:27:05 pm by fmader »
Frank

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #18 on: April 28, 2014, 09:56:42 am »
Would you mind sharing when I should start to train the vines up the twine? Also, I've already noticed there are multiple vines sprouting up. I believe I saw that people will often put multiple vines on a twine. Thanks!

http://freshops.com/hop-growing/hop-gardening
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline pete b

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Barre, Ma
« Reply #19 on: May 02, 2014, 09:24:54 pm »
Would you mind sharing when I should start to train the vines up the twine? Also, I've already noticed there are multiple vines sprouting up. I believe I saw that people will often put multiple vines on a twine. Thanks!

http://freshops.com/hop-growing/hop-gardening
+ 1 to the pdf on this link. Everything you need to know plus a little history lesson. Very helpful.
Don't let the bastards cheer you up.

Offline 69franx

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Bloatarian Brewing League
« Reply #20 on: May 03, 2014, 08:48:25 am »
Thanks for the link. Now bookmarked so that when I want start growing I have some great info!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Frank L.
Fermenting: Nothing (ugh!)
Conditioning: Nothing (UGH!)
In keg: Nothing (Double UGH!)
In the works:  House IPA, Dark Mild, Ballantine Ale clone(still trying to work this one into the schedule)

Offline flbrewer

• Brewmaster General
« Reply #21 on: May 05, 2014, 06:38:28 pm »
My hops are now about a foot tall! One vine has roughly 6 or so leaves on it and one leaf has slightly off-colored (yellow/light brown) spots show up over the past day or so. I can also see the leaf is turning up a bit.

I can't imagine it's a nutrient issue as I just planted these w. Miracle Grow potting mix. Water has been pretty good down here with the downpours. The top 1/2" or so has been dry for a couple of days, but just under the surface of the soil, it's dark black indicating to me that it's still moist.
Any thoughts? Common for a leaf or two to die off?

« Last Edit: May 06, 2014, 07:55:51 am by FLbrewer »

Offline micsager

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #22 on: May 07, 2014, 10:27:16 am »
I live in Western Washington.  Near the Strait of Juan de Fuca. 

About two weeks ago when my hops were about a foot tall, I cut them all to ground level.  Now, I have vines well two feel, and they climb up the rope about two inches a day.  we have them in half oak barrel pots about 8 feet in front of our brewery, and four ropes from each pot secured tot he roof line.  Kind of in a fan or sunburst pattern.  Hoping for some nice shade in a couple months.