Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Weekend Brewing 4/11/14  (Read 4712 times)

Offline klickitat jim

• I must live here
Weekend Brewing 4/11/14
« on: April 11, 2014, 03:36:59 am »
I'm tired of being 4 months behind. Lets start over.

First off, mind blow. I met a dude today who brews good beer and didn't know what this forum was, or AHA was, or that there was an NHC. How can that be possible?

This weekend I'm brewing a Vienna, an APA, and a Nothern Anglo-Land Brown. Intentionally, none of these will meet the mandates of the poobah guide, nor will I pay to be told how they don't meet. Nor will I post recipes to be told what I want or don't want.

Its official my friends, for most of us style don't mean rip for the next 9 months.

Ooh, that reminds me... Hey, how much nestles quick is appropriate for a light lager?

Offline fmader

• Senior Brewmaster
Re: Weekend Brewing 4/11/14
« Reply #1 on: April 11, 2014, 03:55:35 am »
I like your style, dude...

Know brewing this weekend, but I am splitting and stepping up a yeast started of Cali 001 for an 11 gallon batch of a pale ale to be brewed next Thursday, and starting a vial of 007 for an IPA to be brewed next Friday.
Frank

Offline HoosierBrew

• I must live here
  • Indianapolis,IN
« Reply #2 on: April 11, 2014, 05:48:12 am »

Ooh, that reminds me... Hey, how much nestles quick is appropriate for a light lager?

At least 9 lbs  ;)     Just be sure to use the PBR cleanser. Full strength.
Jon H.

Offline ynotbrusum

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
« Reply #3 on: April 11, 2014, 05:49:19 am »
Doing a lager and a bitter.  Gonna try some two row and flaked corn to Mericanize the lager and MO to Briticize the Bitter, but don't have a BJCP style in mind for either...seat of my pants brewing this weekend for some summer guzzlers.
Hodge Garage Brewing: "Brew with a glad heart!"

Offline 69franx

• Bloatarian Brewing League
Weekend Brewing 4/11/14
« Reply #4 on: April 11, 2014, 05:50:45 am »
No brewing this weekend. Getting a starter going for an experimental batch of brown ale. Attempting to get close to a local brew...
Then I have to figure out how to brew on Easter weekend: family tutorial for all interested family members? Maybe it's too much of a reach...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Frank L.
Fermenting: Nothing (ugh!)
Conditioning: Nothing (UGH!)
In keg: Nothing (Double UGH!)
In the works:  House IPA, Dark Mild, Ballantine Ale clone(still trying to work this one into the schedule)

Offline ynotbrusum

« Reply #5 on: April 11, 2014, 05:53:41 am »

Know brewing this weekend, but I am splitting and stepping up a yeast started of Cali 001 for an 11 gallon batch of a pale ale to be brewed next Thursday, and starting a vial of 007 for an IPA to be brewed next Friday.

Can you substitute Hershey's syrup and half strength Yuengling in your recipe, Jim?  Or perhaps go with a Wit and the strawberry Nestle's quick?  ;D
Hodge Garage Brewing: "Brew with a glad heart!"

Offline Steve L

• Brewmaster
  • Rocky Mount, VA
« Reply #6 on: April 11, 2014, 06:14:14 am »

Can you substitute Hershey's syrup and half strength Yuengling in your recipe, Jim?  Or perhaps go with a Wit and the strawberry Nestle's quick?  ;D
in the old days.... we used ovaltine. ;D

Other than that, I'm bottling my Doppelbock and prepping my recipe for a Fuller's ESB clone. Happy days.
Corripe Cervisiam

Offline Stevie

« Reply #7 on: April 11, 2014, 06:19:32 am »
I'm thinking a stovetop 12 pack sized batch. Not sure what. Need to procure a 12 quart kettle first.

Offline AmandaK

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Redbird Brewhouse
« Reply #8 on: April 11, 2014, 07:21:08 am »
Brewing a total of 15 gallons this weekend, housewarming party drinkers and wedding test batches.

10 gallons Saison - split between dry hopping with Amarillo and dry zesting with lemons & white pepper
5 gallons Dry Stout - noms

I'm hoping to brew sequentially on Saturday, since I can theoretically start mashing another beer while I'm boiling the first one.
Amanda Burkemper
KC Bier Meisters Lifetime Member - KCBM 3x AHA Club of the Year!!
BJCP Assistant (to the) Midwest Rep
BJCP Grand Master/Mead/Cider

Our Homebrewed Wedding, AHA Article

Offline Stevie

« Reply #9 on: April 11, 2014, 07:34:16 am »
Saison... dry zesting with lemons & white pepper

I've been thinking the same thing for one of our wedding beers, but with black pepper. I have some small test batches planned over the next few months. Have you considered meyer lemons?

Offline fmader

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #10 on: April 11, 2014, 07:49:36 am »

Maybe I'll think about brewing a low gravity space beer... How much Tang should I use at flameout? Or should I add to taste in the secondary?
Frank

Offline beersk

• In the night!
« Reply #11 on: April 11, 2014, 07:57:49 am »
Y'all are whack, I tell ya!

I plan to brew a brown porter, in the vein of Fuller's London Porter early tomorrow morning.
Jesse

Offline HoosierBrew

• I must live here
  • Indianapolis,IN
« Reply #12 on: April 11, 2014, 08:00:48 am »
Saison... dry zesting with lemons & white pepper

I've been thinking the same thing for one of our wedding beers, but with black pepper. I have some small test batches planned over the next few months. Have you considered meyer lemons?

I've thought about Meyer lemon zest, along with Amarillo hops in Saison. Sounds great. May do that in the next one.
Jon H.

Offline HoosierBrew

• I must live here
  • Indianapolis,IN
« Reply #13 on: April 11, 2014, 08:03:16 am »

Maybe I'll think about brewing a low gravity space beer... How much Tang should I use at flameout? Or should I add to taste in the secondary?

I vote all Tang, pitched with baker's yeast. Why dilute something that good with 2 row or pils ?
Jon H.

Offline Stevie

« Reply #14 on: April 11, 2014, 08:17:12 am »

Honestly, a tang flavored berliner sounds good to me.