Author Topic: Weekend Brewing 4/11/14  (Read 1217 times)

Offline WDE97

• Assistant Brewer
  • Lewiston, ID
    • View Profile
Re: Weekend Brewing 4/11/14
« Reply #15 on: April 11, 2014, 08:24:02 AM »
I'm tired of being 4 months behind. Lets start over.

First off, mind blow. I met a dude today who brews good beer and didn't know what this forum was, or AHA was, or that there was an NHC. How can that be possible?

This weekend I'm brewing a Vienna, an APA, and a Nothern Anglo-Land Brown. Intentionally, none of these will meet the mandates of the poobah guide, nor will I pay to be told how they don't meet. Nor will I post recipes to be told what I want or don't want.

Its official my friends, for most of us style don't mean rip for the next 9 months.

Ooh, that reminds me... Hey, how much nestles quick is appropriate for a light lager?

That is just amazing!? Guy must live off the grid or something.

Plan on brewing a double batch of a rye farmhouse style ale. Got two vials of yeast from The Yeast Bay I want to use. The Wallonian Farmhouse and the Funktown Pale. Also just brewed 15 gallons of a belgian dark strong yesterday for a whiskey barrel. That was the first 15 gallon batch I ever did by myself. Thank (enter deity of your choice) for pumps!
Robert H.

There's a fine line between fishing and just standing on the shore like an idiot.    - Steven Wright

On tap: Flander's Red, Scottish 80, ESB, Hard cider, Sour Blonde, Northwest Pale Ale.

Fermenting: Northwest Pale Ale.

Offline erockrph

• Official Poobah of No Life.
  • Chepachet, RI
    • View Profile
    • The Hop WHisperer
« Reply #16 on: April 11, 2014, 11:31:01 AM »
Not much brewing here. I'm going to bottle a couple of beers off my Red X test batch before I add some dry hops. Other than that, just a little spring cleaning and organizing in store for the weekend.

Maybe I'll think about brewing a low gravity space beer... How much Tang should I use at flameout? Or should I add to taste in the secondary?

Honestly, a tang flavored berliner sounds good to me.

Man, this thread is taking me back to my college days. Tang powder, ice, tequila, and a splash of sour mix. Blend. Orange margarita time :)

But yeah, tang takes me back. Many moons ago, my brother had my mom buy some at the grocery store as a goof after watching some Married with Children episodes. We got hooked on it after that. Tang mead seems like a waste of honey, but it's sounding really tempting right now.
Eric B.

Finally got around to starting a homebrewing blog: The Hop Whisperer

Online HoosierBrew

• Indianapolis,IN
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: April 11, 2014, 11:37:34 AM »
Hopefully gonna brew a Cream Ale , OG 1052 / 22IBU, time permitting. If not, next weekend.
Jon H.

Offline AmandaK

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Redbird Brewhouse
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: April 11, 2014, 11:57:24 AM »
Saison... dry zesting with lemons & white pepper

I've been thinking the same thing for one of our wedding beers, but with black pepper. I have some small test batches planned over the next few months. Have you considered meyer lemons?

Heh, funny - this is a test batch for our wedding too. I have considered Meyer lemons, but they are hard to find at the grocery stores here. I could go to whole foods or something, but that's another trip I gotta make. So I'll probably stick with the regular lemons.
Amanda Burkemper
Kansas City Bier Meister
BJCP Master

Redbird Brewhouse - Finishing Touches on the Basement Bar

Offline bengelbrau

• Assistant Brewer
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: April 11, 2014, 08:48:53 PM »

Ooh, that reminds me... Hey, how much nestles quick is appropriate for a light lager?
[/quote]

Chocolate or strawberry?

Offline ynotbrusum

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Da mihi sis cerevisiam.
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: April 12, 2014, 04:07:52 AM »
That tang thing has really got me thinking...seriously.  Crazy how jacking around can lead to creative bursts.  And I gotta get a saison in at some point in the next couple weeks!
Hodge Garage Brewing: "Brew with a glad heart!"

Offline dannyjed

• Brewmaster
  • Toledo, OH
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: April 12, 2014, 05:27:25 AM »
I plan on brewing my second sour of the season, an Oud Bruin.
Dan Chisholm

Offline fmader

• Senior Brewmaster
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: April 12, 2014, 05:57:30 AM »
That tang thing has really got me thinking...seriously.  Crazy how jacking around can lead to creative bursts.  And I gotta get a saison in at some point in the next couple weeks!

Please use tang in a beer.
Frank

Offline jschneider

• 1st Kit
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: April 12, 2014, 09:00:45 AM »
Doing an Amber ale today.  Plan is to submit this and 4 others in the Ohio State fair.

Offline erockrph

• Chepachet, RI
    • View Profile
    • The Hop WHisperer
« Reply #24 on: April 12, 2014, 02:59:08 PM »

Done. On my way out the door, but details to follow.

Eric B.

Finally got around to starting a homebrewing blog: The Hop Whisperer

Offline fmader

• Senior Brewmaster
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: April 12, 2014, 03:46:38 PM »

Shut the front door! A joke lead to an idea, then into something tangible. Looking forward to seeing the recipe... Even more looking forward to hearing how it tastes!
Frank

Offline klickitat jim

• View Profile
« Reply #26 on: April 12, 2014, 04:45:51 PM »
One too big too too bitter Amber Lager down. Mashing a pale ale now that will be slightly under buttered with cent and cascade, fermented with Scottish. Dryhoping with Willamette

Offline klickitat jim

• View Profile
« Reply #27 on: April 12, 2014, 04:47:16 PM »

Shut the front door! A joke lead to an idea, then into something tangible. Looking forward to seeing the recipe... Even more looking forward to hearing how it tastes!

Heh heh, he thaid tang-gible

Offline braufessor

• Assistant Brewer
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: April 12, 2014, 05:46:19 PM »
Just sitting here getting my recipes and B'run water numbers in order for tomorrows brew day.  Brewing a Scottish 70 and then brewing a "half" Heady Topper clone.  Brewed a Heady clone off of HBT last weekend, and split off a second starter from my Vermont Ale yeast.  Basically, taking the same recipe and cutting it down to a 1.050 version of a similar clone.

Probably clean some kegs as well while brewing and some other odds and ends.  Plan some brews for over easter weekend as well.  British Dark Mild for sure..... have to see what else from there.

Offline klickitat jim

• View Profile
« Reply #29 on: April 12, 2014, 06:10:27 PM »
Mmmm dark mild. Gotta try that some day. IMHO Irish, Scottish and English are way underrated