Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Biggest barrier?  (Read 6459 times)

Offline flbrewer

• Brewmaster General
Biggest barrier?
« on: April 11, 2014, 09:51:11 am »
What have you all seen as the biggest roadblock in going commercial? Capital? Can't raise capital? Bad marketing?
How many folks here have tried and failed?

Offline bluesman

• I must live here
  • Delaware
Re: Biggest barrier?
« Reply #1 on: April 11, 2014, 10:39:01 am »
I can tell you from my experience so far that raising capital is the single most challenging aspect of the startup. We are still raising the required capital for our startup, and while we've made some very nice strides we are still working toward our final goal. We'll get there in due time. Starting a brewery is extremely challenging in many ways, but a lot of fun and excitement comes with the territory as well. My advice to you is to always keep your head up and try to maintain a positive attitude.  :)
Ron Price

Offline Thirsty_Monk

• Brewmaster General
  • Eau Claire WI
    • Lazy Monk Brewing
« Reply #2 on: April 11, 2014, 05:05:24 pm »
What have you all seen as the biggest roadblock in going commercial? Capital? Can't raise capital? Bad marketing?
How many folks here have tried and failed?
I would say initially it is capital. If you start with limited capital, you will spend years volunteering for your brewery to build that capital.

On ongoing bases it is maintaining and growing sales. No sales, no money.

This is a food production business. You might get an advice from other brewers, but you have to walk on your own. This is not cool kids gig. Did I mention that this is a lot of work?
Na Zdravie

Lazy Monk Brewing
http://www.lazymonkbrewing.com

Offline phunhog

• Brewer
« Reply #3 on: April 11, 2014, 08:25:33 pm »
I think the licensing and permitting at the local level is big roadblock.  Unless you live in the country you can't just turn a back garage/shed into a legal production brewery.  Which of course necessitates renting a space with all associated permits/fees.  Then you MUST have more capital to really pull it off.

Offline Jeff M

• Brewmaster
  • Currently upgrading to Brewery 3.0
« Reply #4 on: April 11, 2014, 08:33:36 pm »
I think the biggest barrier is knowing what you are getting yourself in to.  You need to be an Obsessive, OCD, Artistic, Workaholic with the ability to learn everything from Chemistry to microbiology and everything in between.   Money can be earned,Laws and permits can be granted and navigated, But knowing exactly what you are in for is, in my opinion, THE barrier.
Granite Coast Brewing Company.
Building a clone of The Electric Brewery to use as a pilot system for new recipes!

Offline majorvices

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Polka. If its too loud you're too young.
« Reply #5 on: April 12, 2014, 07:08:10 am »

I think the biggest barrier is knowing what you are getting yourself in to.  You need to be an Obsessive, OCD, Artistic, Workaholic with the ability to learn everything from Chemistry to microbiology and everything in between.   Money can be earned,Laws and permits can be granted and navigated, But knowing exactly what you are in for is, in my opinion, THE barrier.

Agree 100%. The amount of effort to launch and grow a brewery is Herculean, especially if you don't have the proper funding. I can also attest that while I have not failed I have gotten close to failing a couple times because of funding (or lack of).

Offline klickitat jim

• I must live here
« Reply #6 on: April 12, 2014, 07:45:52 am »
I imagine the biggest barrier would be a full understanding of how much work it is, how much bureaucracy crap there is, how little return there may be, and a fear of getting in too deep before you discover an even bigger barrier

Offline gymrat

• Brewmaster
  • Ralph's Brewery
« Reply #7 on: April 12, 2014, 08:36:29 am »
For me the biggest barrier, in fact the reason I won't even consider it, is the idea of shoveling 3 hundred pounds of grain out of a mash tun. I may be a Gymrat, but I am an old broken down Gymrat, and I am just plain too old to be taking up that sort of thing.
Ralph's Brewery
Topeka, KS

Online hopfenundmalz

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Milford, MI
« Reply #8 on: April 12, 2014, 08:50:20 am »
For me the biggest barrier, in fact the reason I won't even consider it, is the idea of shoveling 3 hundred pounds of grain out of a mash tun. I may be a Gymrat, but I am an old broken down Gymrat, and I am just plain too old to be taking up that sort of thing.
+1
Jeff Rankert
AHA Lifetime Member
BJCP National
Ann Arbor Brewers Guild
Home-brewing, not just a hobby, it is a lifestyle!

Online denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #9 on: April 12, 2014, 09:06:06 am »
+1

+Me, too!  I was recently offered a chance to be the brewer at a small local startup.  I considered it for about 5 minutes before deciding that the amount of physical labor wasn't for me.  I signed on as a consultant.
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline phunhog

• Brewer
« Reply #10 on: April 12, 2014, 10:18:24 am »
I imagine the biggest barrier would be a full understanding of how much work it is, how much bureaucracy crap there is, how little return there may be, and a fear of getting in too deep before you discover an even bigger barrier

+1!!   I think this is why there will eventually be quite a few breweries closing.  Too much work for too little pay. You can do that for a little bit but at some point enough is enough.

Offline BeverageBob

• Cellarman
« Reply #11 on: April 12, 2014, 11:59:41 am »
I really believe that it's a young mans game like previous posters have noted. There is a mountain between where you are and where you want to go on every level. I had a co-worker see my brewing setup and bar etc and said " You can be a brewmaster somewhere!" I responded: I AM a brewmaster! My production facilities and the drinking establishment where the products wind up are 60 feet apart!  8)
JUST HERE FOR THE BEER!

Offline klickitat jim

• I must live here
« Reply #12 on: April 12, 2014, 01:06:40 pm »
After prodding by neighbors the wife told me to give it some thought. A few random numbers and a ballpark schedule was enough to convince her that instead of pissing away $300k on a minimum wage job, that a $30k private brew pub in our back yard made way more sense. So that's in our 5 year plan.

Offline majorvices

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Polka. If its too loud you're too young.
« Reply #13 on: April 12, 2014, 01:16:53 pm »

300 lbs of grain? Try 3000 lbs of grain, at least. But u have employees to do that for me know.

Offline Stevie

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
« Reply #14 on: April 12, 2014, 01:23:58 pm »

+1!!   I think this is why there will eventually be quite a few breweries closing.  Too much work for too little pay. You can do that for a little bit but at some point enough is enough.

Plus rampant mediocrity. Meh is ok for a brewpub with good food. For me to buy more than one six pack, or get repeat growler fills, the beer needs to be great.