Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Dry Hopping  (Read 3320 times)

Offline ynotbrusum

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
Re: Dry Hopping
« Reply #15 on: April 10, 2014, 12:14:59 pm »
The last dry hopped beer I made was Charlie Papzian's Claude of Neptune.  It is great and uses Crystal hops (2.9% aa), so I just "tea-balled" them and racked onto them in the keg.  You can always suspend a hop bag or tea ball with light monofilament fishing line to allow the hops to be suspended above the beer at a point when the beer level drops....supposedly with the thin line you get no leaks.  Of course you can always do a keg to keg transfer after a few days, if you are concerned with contact time.
Hodge Garage Brewing: "Brew with a glad heart!"

Offline Joe Sr.

• Chicago - NORTH SIDE
« Reply #16 on: April 10, 2014, 12:25:55 pm »
I've always suspended the teaballs with dental floss.  I buy the flat style of floss and it usually seals pretty well.  No mint-waxed floss for this application.
It's all in the reflexes. - Jack Burton

Offline blatz

• Paul Blatz - Jupiter, FL
« Reply #17 on: April 10, 2014, 12:27:28 pm »
i have always found using plumbers pipe tape (teflon) to be best - it flattens out enough to cause no issue with the gasket.

I use a dryhop basket like the one pictured here midway down the page:

http://utahbiodieselsupply.com/brewingfilters.php

but I consider it a luxury toy over a nylon dryhop bag or paint strainer bag.  it doesn't perform any better but its shiny  ;)
« Last Edit: April 10, 2014, 12:29:28 pm by blatz »
The happiest people don’t necessarily have the best of everything; they just make the best of everything they have.

BJCP National: F0281

Offline BeverageBob

• Cellarman
« Reply #18 on: April 11, 2014, 12:50:44 pm »
I always dry hop in the keg using surescreens at the end of the dip tube. I used to not use pellet hops because they clogged the screen but as time went on, I discovered that I could get away with using pellets as long as I had at least two ounces of whole hops in the keg with them. I rack from the primary fermenter onto the dry hops in the keg and let them sit at ambient for two weeks before I chill. I haven't done any spurments of frigerating them right away, It's just what I do and it works for me,
JUST HERE FOR THE BEER!