Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Water Build  (Read 1117 times)

Offline dk82

• 1st Kit
Water Build
« on: April 12, 2014, 12:34:28 pm »
Im going to be making a Barley Wine from Northern Brewer and I want to use RO water from the store and build it to the proper ph levels.  I live in central MN and i know we have very hard water,  a water salesmen told me so! 

Do you think it would be worth doing?  and if so what would i use to adjust it to the proper levels,  and what would those levels be for the perfect barlywine?

I do all grain.  5 gallon batch.  its the bridge burner kit. 

Also hello!  First post here. :o

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
Re: Water Build
« Reply #1 on: April 12, 2014, 12:45:05 pm »
Hi!  And you need this....https://sites.google.com/site/brunwater/ .  There's no way to know how to adjust your water without seeing your recipe.
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline klickitat jim

• I must live here
« Reply #2 on: April 12, 2014, 12:58:03 pm »
Ya water is deep. Badoom cha. If this is a one time only thing, post your grain bill, mash volume and sparge volume and someone can probably get you close. Also need a clue on if you want it balanced, malt fwd, or hop fwd. And what you plan to add, such as SO4, CaCl, Lactic, etc.

Offline ynotbrusum

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
« Reply #3 on: April 13, 2014, 06:18:04 am »
If it's not an all grain batch, you can just go with the store RO, because the extract already has the necessary minerals in it and does not need to convert the mash.  Also, RO water from a dispenser in a store is not reliable as being fully flat water (zero TDS,etc...), because of the nature of the filters and cleaning required - or so I am told.  Even so, it is still better than using really hard water.

For those reasons, guys get their water tested by Ward labs and dilute with distiilled water. 

Welcome to the forum - Denny's tag line says it all.
Hodge Garage Brewing: "Brew with a glad heart!"