General Category > All Grain Brewing

Mash Sparge Combo

(1/2) > >>

klickitat jim:
Assuming you have room in your MT, what would be the problem with doing a normal mash then add the sparge water, stir, vorlauf and drain?

Only thing crossing my mind is pH but it seems like all the first runnings would buffer it down rather than up.

I suppose there might be slightly lower efficiency because your not rinsing as well.

Anyone try this before?

Steve in TX:
Sounds like single/no sparge batch sparging to me.

denny:

--- Quote from: klickitat jim on April 12, 2014, 12:20:10 PM ---Assuming you have room in your MT, what would be the problem with doing a normal mash then add the sparge water, stir, vorlauf and drain?

Only thing crossing my mind is pH but it seems like all the first runnings would buffer it down rather than up.

I suppose there might be slightly lower efficiency because your not rinsing as well.

Anyone try this before?

--- End quote ---

That's no sparge.  If you add the water after conversion, pH shouldn't be much of an issue.  Your efficiency probably will go down some.

klickitat jim:
Awesome, I believe im assimilating all this stuff. Im not going to do it cuz I dont see much point but I was curious if I understood what the effects would be.

a10t2:
I had to do that in a very small brewery due to equipment limitations. I'd sprinkle the "sparge" water on top as gently as possible to avoid mixing, then drain the tun. It did buy us roughly a 5-10% efficiency bump depending on gravity. At home? Just no-sparge.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version