Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Kids and Homebrew  (Read 4446 times)

Offline Jeff M

• Brewmaster
  • Currently upgrading to Brewery 3.0
Re: Kids and Homebrew
« Reply #15 on: April 14, 2014, 10:45:18 am »
Its the most important work!
Granite Coast Brewing Company.
Building a clone of The Electric Brewery to use as a pilot system for new recipes!

Offline Jimmy K

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Delaware
« Reply #16 on: April 14, 2014, 02:07:06 pm »
I bet mom's everywhere are dieing laughing at this thread

Sent from my XT1030 using Tapatalk

Delmarva United Homebrewers - President by inverse coup - former president ousted himself.
AHA Member since 2006
BJCP Certified: B0958

Offline speed

• Brewer
  • Thedford nebraska
« Reply #17 on: April 14, 2014, 03:04:51 pm »
So I am starting this post so I can vent to others who may share the same pain as me. I feel like my  kids secretly plot to sabotage my home brew. The most recent distruction I noticed was at 7:00 this morning when I opened the fridge. I had rinsed some  Wehenstephen Wizen yeast about two weeks ago. It looked amazing and I had probably 700 mils of it just minding its business in the fridge. Well my youngest had turned the fridge to the coldest setting causing everything to freeze. My jar of yeast was frozen solid. I might have tried to salvage some of it but the lid popped off causing some of contents to go everywhere before it completely froze in the middle of the night.

Instance two. So I often let my oldest help me out by adding hops during the boil or just tagging along to the LHBS. About a month ago I did a batch late morning and she was helping as usual. I turned off the burner and put my immersion chiller in and went inside to get some coffee. When I opened the door to go back outside, the very sight of what she was doing horrified me. She had the end of the hose from the chiller where all the water comes out pointed right at my kettle. God knows how much of that water made it in there. She cried and I almost did with her.

So there's a couple of my stories, what have your minions done to you to sabatoge your brew?
yea, those darn teen agers, what ya goin do wit them

Offline jaftak22

• Assistant Brewer
« Reply #18 on: April 14, 2014, 04:48:23 pm »
So I am starting this post so I can vent to others who may share the same pain as me. I feel like my  kids secretly plot to sabotage my home brew. The most recent distruction I noticed was at 7:00 this morning when I opened the fridge. I had rinsed some  Wehenstephen Wizen yeast about two weeks ago. It looked amazing and I had probably 700 mils of it just minding its business in the fridge. Well my youngest had turned the fridge to the coldest setting causing everything to freeze. My jar of yeast was frozen solid. I might have tried to salvage some of it but the lid popped off causing some of contents to go everywhere before it completely froze in the middle of the night.

Instance two. So I often let my oldest help me out by adding hops during the boil or just tagging along to the
LHBS. About a month ago I did a batch late morning and she was helping as usual. I turned off the burner and put my immersion chiller in and went inside to get some coffee. When I opened the door to go back outside, the very sight of what she was doing horrified me. She had the end of the hose from the chiller where all the water comes out pointed right at my kettle. God knows how much of that water made it in there. She cried and I almost did with her.

So there's a couple of my stories, what have your minions done to you to sabatoge your brew?

No not teenagers. I have a 6 year old, 3 year old and a two year old. All girls and there not always crazy. Just sometimes

Offline el_capitan

• Brewer
« Reply #19 on: April 14, 2014, 08:34:52 pm »
My son drinks my beer!  Of course, he's 37.

My son wants to.  But he's got many years until that's OK.

I tell my boys that they have to be able to grow a beard in order to drink a beer.  Then they ask why their grandma (my mother-in-law) can drink my beer...

So far I've just been biting my tongue.   ;D
« Last Edit: April 15, 2014, 10:55:02 pm by el_capitan »

Offline ynotbrusum

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
« Reply #20 on: April 15, 2014, 04:05:31 am »
My son went from capping assistant (as a teen) to beer snob (as a college student - now 22 and soon to graduate).  He brings craft beer with him when he comes home and takes homebrew back to school to share with a couple buddies and a professor (a chemistry prof who also homebrews).  My daughter and her fiancĂ© made a dopplebock with me last year...enjoy the kids while they are young, because they grow up fast!
Hodge Garage Brewing: "Brew with a glad heart!"

Offline euge

• I must live here
  • Ego ceruisam ad bibere cervisiam
« Reply #21 on: April 15, 2014, 09:24:07 am »
This isn't my experience but someone else's... Off another beer forum. But so precious I had to save a copy for posterity.

The first principle is that you must not fool yourself, and you are the easiest person to fool. -Richard P. Feynman

Laws are spider-webs, which catch the little flies, but cannot hold the big ones. -Anacharsis

Offline homebrewgamecock

• Cellarman
  • Westminster, CO
« Reply #22 on: April 15, 2014, 02:12:35 pm »
My daughters are 22 and 25, so no mishaps from them.  When they were younger, they just liked the smell and being around the brewing, never really interested in the process and participating.  They were interested at a younger age on pouring the beer from the kegerator.  They both learned very young how to pour the perfect beer. 

One time while brewing, one of my huskies caught on fire.  He was licking the floor after a boil over.  I turned around to see him on fire and quickly put it out!  His fur was singed for months.  He did not care, he got to lick up sweet wort plus he had plenty of more fur to go before that hit skin.  That beer became Burnt Dog Porter. 

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #23 on: April 15, 2014, 02:28:16 pm »
One time while brewing, one of my huskies caught on fire.  He was licking the floor after a boil over.  I turned around to see him on fire and quickly put it out!  His fur was singed for months.  He did not care, he got to lick up sweet wort plus he had plenty of more fur to go before that hit skin.  That beer became Burnt Dog Porter.

Now THAT'S a brewing story!
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline homebrewgamecock

• Cellarman
  • Westminster, CO
« Reply #24 on: April 15, 2014, 03:00:16 pm »
It was quite the smell.  At first I thought something electrical was burning and then saw Toby's neck area on fire.  Not huge flames mind you, but flames none the less.  His fur stunk for hours.  Thankfully as a Husky, he was fine staying outdoors for a few hours (it was December I believe). 

To all those with young kids - good luck brewing and yes, enjoy them while it lasts.  They do grow up fast.  That said, I love being able to brew whenever I want with no kid obligations.  Now I can just hang out with them and enjoy their company in a more adult fashion. 

Offline speed

• Brewer
  • Thedford nebraska
« Reply #25 on: April 15, 2014, 05:08:33 pm »
I kinda guessed that, just being a smartass.

Instance two. So I often let my oldest help me out by adding hops during the boil or just tagging along to the
LHBS. About a month ago I did a batch late morning and she was helping as usual. I turned off the burner and put my immersion chiller in and went inside to get some coffee. When I opened the door to go back outside, the very sight of what she was doing horrified me. She had the end of the hose from the chiller where all the water comes out pointed right at my kettle. God knows how much of that water made it in there. She cried and I almost did with her.

No not teenagers. I have a 6 year old, 3 year old and a two year old. All girls and there not always crazy. Just sometimes

Offline jaftak22

• Assistant Brewer
« Reply #26 on: April 15, 2014, 05:55:31 pm »
My hats off to your dog for catching on fire during a brew.