Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: comet hops  (Read 2322 times)

Offline Iliff Ave

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
comet hops
« on: April 21, 2014, 09:30:03 am »
Can anyone who has used these provide any descriptions? In beersmith, they are described as very bitter and to use sparingly with other hops. Guy at the LHBS uses them all the time and described them as citrusy and great for hoppy beers. I bought only an ounce on his recommendation. I also see that they have an aroma which may be "objectionable". I am getting the feeling that these are not loved around the brewing community...

On Tap/Bottled: IPL, Adjunct Vienna, Golden Stout, Honey Lager
Fermenting: IPA
Up Next: mexi lager, Germerican pale ale

Offline dkfick

• Senior Brewmaster
Re: comet hops
« Reply #1 on: April 21, 2014, 10:17:23 am »
Can anyone who has used these provide any descriptions? In beersmith, they are described as very bitter and to use sparingly with other hops. Guy at the LHBS uses them all the time and described them as citrusy and great for hoppy beers. I bought only an ounce on his recommendation. I also see that they have an aroma which may be "objectionable". I am getting the feeling that these are not loved around the brewing community...
Haha yeah I was actually reading up about them a few weeks ago.. Seems they were developed in 1975... and not may people seem to use them.  Might be a telling fact.  A local brewery (Rochester Mills) has been putting on this homebrew event the weekend before National Homebrew Day for the past few years.  They give homebrewers grains, a bunch of hops, and yeast and about 120 homebrewers decend to brew in their parking lot on that day (next Sat).  This is one of the hops they are providing this year.  I'm brewing an American Barleywine with it on Sat... Though only 1oz of Comet... 2oz of Amarillo and 5oz of Experimental Hop 429.  The comet is basically going to be my 60 min addition.
BJCP A0936 National Beer Judge and Mead Judge
Cicerone Certified Beer Server
AHA Member
CRAFT Homebrew Club
Sons of Liberty Homebrew Club
HBT "mors"

Offline HoosierBrew

• I must live here
  • Indianapolis,IN
« Reply #2 on: April 21, 2014, 10:32:01 am »
I read one description that said " lemon, cat, soap, and weeds". A few other similar ones. I agree with dkfick - if it's been around 40 years and almost nobody uses it, especially now when assertive hops are common in American beers - probably a reason for it.
Jon H.

Offline Iliff Ave

« Reply #3 on: April 21, 2014, 10:45:03 am »
Haha. The dude told me they were recently given a name after being an experimental hop for a while. He was either thinking of a different hop or is severely mistaken. Crap...now I don't know what to do with it. Don't wanna mess up a batch with it if it is really that bad.

Offline HoosierBrew

• I must live here
  • Indianapolis,IN
« Reply #4 on: April 21, 2014, 10:55:10 am »
I definitely wouldn't finish with it, but I doubt very much you'd notice all of that by using it for bittering only, especially in a hoppy beer.
Jon H.

Offline dkfick

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #5 on: April 21, 2014, 11:00:09 am »
Haha. The dude told me they were recently given a name after being an experimental hop for a while. He was either thinking of a different hop or is severely mistaken. Crap...now I don't know what to do with it. Don't wanna mess up a batch with it if it is really that bad.
You never really know if it's bad until you try it.  Did you smell any of the hops?  What did you think?  Obviously the flavor/aroma could change when it's used in the beer but I would probably give it a go in a pale ale or something... since you already have the hops and all...
AHA Member
CRAFT Homebrew Club
HBT "mors"

Offline Iliff Ave

« Reply #6 on: April 21, 2014, 11:01:54 am »
Right. I don't want to open the sealed bag until I am ready to use it. When I plan to brew with it I will just make sure I have another option on hand in case I get a bad feeling.

Offline dkfick

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #7 on: April 21, 2014, 11:14:11 am »
Yeah if you don't have a vacuum sealer that might be the best approach.
AHA Member
CRAFT Homebrew Club
HBT "mors"

Offline erockrph

• I must live here
  • Chepachet, RI
    • The Hop WHisperer
« Reply #8 on: April 22, 2014, 01:07:51 pm »
I have some of these in the freezer and they're on the docket for one of the next runs of single-hopped brews i do. The descriptors always seem so good on the website when you go to buy them, but the end results often fall short. We'll see about this one.
Eric B.

Finally got around to starting a homebrewing blog: The Hop Whisperer

Offline kmccaf

• Brewmaster
  • Kyle (Champaign, Hensley Township, Il)
« Reply #9 on: April 23, 2014, 07:57:12 am »
A local brewery uses them in a few brews, and I have enjoyed them quite a bit. I am not sure at what point in the process they use them, but I get a very dank "hoppy" aroma in those brews.
Kyle M.