Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Pliny the Elder Clone Recipe  (Read 35261 times)

Offline daze1231

• 1st Kit
Pliny the Elder Clone Recipe
« on: April 05, 2010, 10:41:56 pm »
what's up y'all-

I'm super stoked, as i just ordered from Austin Homebrew Supply a clone of this most stupendous, splendiferous (sp?) DIPA.

My question is whether anyone has any feedback about this clone recipe, and whether it's possible, short of selling one's soul, to come close to replicating this beer?

thanks!

-DAZE

Offline bspisak

• Cellarman
Re: Pliny the Elder Clone Recipe
« Reply #1 on: April 06, 2010, 08:38:32 pm »

I believe Vinnie of Russian River told everyone what the recipe was. You can find it here:

http://beerdujour.com/Recipes/1Pliny%20the%20Elder%20clone%20PDF.pdf

I would think an extract version would come close, but since you have to mash carapils, you may be lacking some of the malty body it gives. Also, if you're doing a partial boil, your hop utilization will be different, but just plug it all into Beersmith or Pro-Mash.

Good Luck!
Brian

Offline daze1231

• 1st Kit
« Reply #2 on: April 06, 2010, 09:29:53 pm »
Thanks for the info Brian..

Brew it up!

-DAZE

Offline micsager

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #3 on: April 23, 2010, 01:20:19 pm »
what's up y'all-

I'm super stoked, as i just ordered from Austin Homebrew Supply a clone of this most stupendous, splendiferous (sp?) DIPA.

My question is whether anyone has any feedback about this clone recipe, and whether it's possible, short of selling one's soul, to come close to replicating this beer?

thanks!

-DAZE

Pliney now uses hop extract in their recipe. 

Offline bspisak

• Cellarman
« Reply #4 on: April 23, 2010, 05:23:28 pm »

All the more reason to brew it yourself.

Offline enso

• Brewer
  • Northeast Kingdom, VT
    • Bristle Bros. Brewing Blog
« Reply #5 on: April 23, 2010, 05:49:36 pm »
From what I understand, Pliny has ALWAYS incorporated hop extract.  According to several interviews I have heard with Vinnie Cilurzo, they found this necessary for reasons of efficiency.  As in, if they wanted to get any liquid out of the final product at boils end they NEEDED to.

;)
Dave Brush

narvin

« Reply #6 on: April 23, 2010, 09:52:26 pm »

I believe Vinnie of Russian River told everyone what the recipe was. You can find it here:

I would think an extract version would come close, but since you have to mash carapils, you may be lacking some of the malty body it gives. Also, if you're doing a partial boil, your hop utilization will be different, but just plug it all into Beersmith or Pro-Mash.

Good Luck!
Brian

You do not have to mash carapils.

http://www.brewingwithbriess.com/Assets/PDFs/Briess_PISB_CarapilsMalt.pdf

Offline mdias56

• 1st Kit
« Reply #7 on: April 11, 2012, 02:32:01 pm »
@ Narvin:  Hey Narvin, thanks for posting that link.  I read over the hop bill and compared it to what RRB posted on their site in regards to what hops go into Pliny the elder and they mentioned Amarillo hops however the homebrewing recipe does not have Amarillo?  I guess for brewing it the first time and the fact that I have only tried the beer once, it will be good enough.

Offline bonjour

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Troy, MI, 37mi, 60.9deg AR
« Reply #8 on: April 11, 2012, 02:49:44 pm »
This recipe came via email from Vinnie, I asked if he shared the recipe, he said yes and to email him, asked him if it was ok to post and he said yes.

I don't know if this is the actual recipe, I've never seel the brew logs at Russian River,  but the recipe did come from THE source.
Fred Bonjour
Co-Chair Mashing in Michigan 2014 AHA Conference in Grand Rapids, Michigan
AHA Governing Committee; AHA Conference, Club Support & Web Subcommittees

Everything under 1.100 is a 'session' beer ;)

Offline Pinski

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Portland, Oregon
« Reply #9 on: April 11, 2012, 06:46:29 pm »

Good Luck!
Brian

I ramped up this recipe for a 10 gallon batch and it came out great.  Several Pliny Heads thought it was "right there" with the original.
Steve Carper
Green Dragon Brewers
Clubs: Oregon Brew Crew & Strange Brew
BJCP Certified

Offline hopfenundmalz

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Milford, MI
« Reply #10 on: April 11, 2012, 09:58:50 pm »
This recipe came via email from Vinnie, I asked if he shared the recipe, he said yes and to email him, asked him if it was ok to post and he said yes.

I don't know if this is the actual recipe, I've never seel the brew logs at Russian River,  but the recipe did come from THE source.

After that was given to you, maybe in 2010, Vinnie said that he was using Amarillo in Pliney the Elder.  That was on a Brewing Network podcast, a Sunday session I think. Late additions and dry hops for the Amarillo.

The recipe changes.  Vinnie gave out the one years back that used Warrior and Mash hopping.  That one made a good beer too.
Jeff Rankert
AHA Lifetime Member
BJCP National
Ann Arbor Brewers Guild
Home-brewing, not just a hobby, it is a lifestyle!

Offline beersk

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • In the night!
« Reply #11 on: April 12, 2012, 07:50:17 am »

Good Luck!
Brian

I ramped up this recipe for a 10 gallon batch and it came out great.  Several Pliny Heads thought it was "right there" with the original.
That's good to know.  I may brew up this recipe in the near future also!
Jesse

Offline Pinski

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Portland, Oregon
« Reply #12 on: April 12, 2012, 08:18:37 am »
If you like Pliny, you won't regret it. Takes a TON of hops but your brewery will smell incredible and when the beer is fresh and ready it's fantastic. Go for it.
Steve Carper
Green Dragon Brewers
Clubs: Oregon Brew Crew & Strange Brew
BJCP Certified

Offline beersk

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • In the night!
« Reply #13 on: April 12, 2012, 12:05:34 pm »
If you like Pliny, you won't regret it. Takes a TON of hops but your brewery will smell incredible and when the beer is fresh and ready it's fantastic. Go for it.
Well I do like Pliny, so I think, yes, this will be a worthy beer to brew!
Jesse

Offline brewmichigan

• Brewer
« Reply #14 on: April 13, 2012, 08:33:51 am »
Also check out the free downloads section for Zymurgy.

http://www.homebrewersassociation.org/pages/zymurgy/free-downloads

The "Brew a Double IPA" pdf is by Vinnie and has his recipe in there.

Edit: I've also brewed the recipe Fred has posted and it is wonderful. Won a gold medal in a recent comp for me.
Mike --- Flint, Michigan