Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: I think I'm becoming obsessed  (Read 5168 times)

Offline flbrewer

• Brewmaster General
Re: I think I'm becoming obsessed
« Reply #15 on: April 15, 2014, 04:09:06 pm »
Heaven forbid someone asks me a question about brewing... they'd better strap themselves in cause I will go on forever.

This comment made me laugh out loud. (I refuse to type LOL)

Offline Stevie

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
« Reply #16 on: April 15, 2014, 04:16:30 pm »

...I refuse to type LOL

I hate LOL. Especially at work. I swear I want to punch people when they send and LOL to a thread that has a dozen or so people on it.

Offline jaftak22

• Assistant Brewer
« Reply #17 on: April 15, 2014, 07:04:18 pm »
It seems familiar. Everything you have said. Except our whole family gets in on brew day. The dog loves when I spill spent grains

You probably know this already, but keep the dog away from the hops.
Didn't know that actually. Hope the little guy doesn't ever get into them. What happens if they do get into some hops?

Offline Stevie

« Reply #18 on: April 15, 2014, 07:11:26 pm »
It causes their body temp to rise crazy fast. Hyperthermia?

I have read cats are the same. Anytime I'm in the kitchen messing with hops, my butthead of a cat is clawing at me thinking I am messing with cheese or treats.

Offline Joe Sr.

• Chicago - NORTH SIDE
« Reply #19 on: April 15, 2014, 07:12:28 pm »
I believe their body heat goes out of control and it can be fatal.
It's all in the reflexes. - Jack Burton

Offline fmader

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #20 on: April 15, 2014, 07:14:15 pm »
It seems familiar. Everything you have said. Except our whole family gets in on brew day. The dog loves when I spill spent grains

You probably know this already, but keep the dog away from the hops.
Didn't know that actually. Hope the little guy doesn't ever get into them. What happens if they do get into some hops?

They can develop malignant hypothermia where their temperatures will rise uncontrollably, which in turn can cause their organs to shut down. Once organs shut down, you can probably figure out the rest. I'm by no means a professional, but I do believe certain dog breads are more vulnerable to this condition than others. Rule of thumb us to keep hops (even spent hops) out of the reach of your dogs.
Frank

Offline jaftak22

• Assistant Brewer
« Reply #21 on: April 15, 2014, 07:20:33 pm »
Holy crap. Never knew that. Makes me wanna lock him up when I'm weighing out hops.

Offline Steve L

• Brewmaster
  • Rocky Mount, VA
« Reply #22 on: April 15, 2014, 07:24:21 pm »

I have read cats are the same. Anytime I'm in the kitchen messing with hops, my butthead of a cat is clawing at me thinking I am messing with cheese or treats.
+1. My Hop Union bags are about the same size as my cat's treat bags and they are made the same material. Make no bones about it... He's about as subtle as a hand grenade in a bowl of cheerios when it comes to making his presence known at snack time. I have to be extra careful with hops. If it hits the floor, Hoover will get it!
Corripe Cervisiam

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #23 on: April 15, 2014, 07:44:08 pm »
Holy crap. Never knew that. Makes me wanna lock him up when I'm weighing out hops.

There have never been any reports of dogs going after unused hops.  They're only interested in them after they've been used and are soaked with sweet wort.
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline BrewingRover

• Brewmaster
  • Brewing in Flossmoor, IL
« Reply #24 on: April 15, 2014, 08:23:50 pm »

I asked my vet about this and she consulted some of her professional sources. She told me cats are not at risk from hops and most dogs will just get sick. Greyhounds have the greatest risk and almost all reported fatalities have been greyhounds.
It's such a fine line between stupid and clever.

Offline Stevie

« Reply #25 on: April 15, 2014, 08:35:56 pm »
Well, that makes me feel a bit better. My cat is still a butthead.

Offline gmac

• Brewmaster General
  • London, Ontario
« Reply #26 on: April 15, 2014, 08:37:34 pm »

You have a cheese eating cat?

Offline Stevie

« Reply #27 on: April 15, 2014, 08:43:51 pm »

You have a cheese eating cat?

Not buy choice. It goes all the way back to an old college roommate. She would give him yogurt, ice cream and cereal milk. Now he will yell and claw anytime I am eating or cooking with dairy. He can be dead asleep and will wake up and run when he hears the lid come off of a pint of ice cream.

Offline Joe Sr.

• Chicago - NORTH SIDE
« Reply #28 on: April 15, 2014, 08:47:28 pm »

I asked my vet about this and she consulted some of her professional sources. She told me cats are not at risk from hops and most dogs will just get sick. Greyhounds have the greatest risk and almost all reported fatalities have been greyhounds.

I've seen a dog die from eating chocolate so I, personally, would not take a chance.

Not my dog, for the record. Upstairs neighbor at the time.
It's all in the reflexes. - Jack Burton

Offline riceral

• Brewer
« Reply #29 on: April 16, 2014, 06:32:36 am »

Here's a link to Brewer's Friend which talks about this:
          http://www.brewersfriend.com/2010/05/09/hops-and-dogs/

According to this, Golden Retrievers, Labrador Retrievers, and Greyhounds are the most susceptible. Personally, I wouldn't take the chance with any dog.
Ralph R.