Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Epic mash fail  (Read 1900 times)

Offline wyobrew

• 1st Kit
  • Gillette, Wy
Epic mash fail
« on: April 20, 2014, 09:01:18 am »
Dumped a 10 gal. batch yesterday before mashing was complete. Making a hefe-wiezen with a multi step mash. Here's what I did:

12 lb Pale Wheat
8 lb Pilsner

Acid rest @ 111F 15 min.
Protein rest @ 131F 15 min.
B amylase rest @ 149F 30 min

This is where everything went wrong. When I reached 149 I started the timer and walked away without turning the burner off. The mash temp was 190F when I noticed about 10 min. later. I turned the pump on to circulate and the temp dropped to 170F. I tasted the mash and it wasn't very sweet so I decided to abort at this point and dump everything instead of proceeding. I'll give it another go next weekend.

Do you think this was recoverable or did I do the right thing?
I hated to spend more time and precious yeast on a batch that might be just OK a month from now.

Offline corkybstewart

• Senior Brewmaster
Re: Epic mash fail
« Reply #1 on: April 20, 2014, 09:05:07 am »
I think you could have made some nice dog treats with it but I doubt it would make decent beer.  I think you made the right decision before spending money on hops and yeast, wasting hours brewing and having a fermenter full for a couple of weeks.
Life is wonderful in sunny White Signal New Mexico

Offline reverseapachemaster

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
    • Brain Sparging on Brewing
« Reply #2 on: April 20, 2014, 10:07:58 am »
Probably the right decision. If it didn't taste sweet then it got too hot faster than the enzymes could convert the starches to sugar. If you had some amylase available you could have added that to convert the starches but even still you may not end up with a beer worth the time and money it took to get something drinkable out of it.
Heck yeah I blog about homebrewing: Brain Sparging on Brewing

Offline dkfick

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #3 on: April 20, 2014, 10:21:28 am »
haha I've done this before.  Except I went and did a bunch of other 'beer work' in the basement while I was mashing.  Came back and my mash had boiled over.  I didn't have the brains to abort and decided to just make a quick beer out of it... little did I realize under the false bottom was a bunch of burnt malt... the resulting beer was acrid and super burnt tasting.  :D
BJCP A0936 National Beer Judge and Mead Judge
Cicerone Certified Beer Server
AHA Member
CRAFT Homebrew Club
Sons of Liberty Homebrew Club
HBT "mors"

Offline troybinso

• Brewer
« Reply #4 on: April 20, 2014, 11:08:03 am »
I would've gotten the temp down into a standard mash range and given it a try at least. Maybe added of couple of pounds of crushed grains to get some more enzymes working.

Offline erockrph

• I must live here
  • Chepachet, RI
    • The Hop WHisperer
« Reply #5 on: April 22, 2014, 10:21:05 am »
I would've gotten the temp down into a standard mash range and given it a try at least. Maybe added of couple of pounds of crushed grains to get some more enzymes working.

+1 - bring it down to mash temp then add a couple pounds of Pils malt. And since you were brewing a hefe, even if the enzymes from the Pils didn't convert everything a little starch haze isn't necessarily a bad thing.

The other option I may have chosen is to just ride it out and pitch some of my house bug culture. The Brett will eat most of it eventually.
Eric B.

Finally got around to starting a homebrewing blog: The Hop Whisperer