Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Dry hops Prior to Finished Fermentation  (Read 3517 times)

Offline flbrewer

• Brewmaster General
Dry hops Prior to Finished Fermentation
« on: April 15, 2014, 08:26:38 am »
What's the risk of adding dry hops before a beer is completely done w primary ferm?

Offline Jeff M

• Brewmaster
  • Currently upgrading to Brewery 3.0
Re: Dry hops Prior to Finished Fermentation
« Reply #1 on: April 15, 2014, 08:30:39 am »
Fermentation byproducts (ala CO2) Will blowoff the aroma of the dry hops.
Granite Coast Brewing Company.
Building a clone of The Electric Brewery to use as a pilot system for new recipes!

Offline fmader

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #2 on: April 15, 2014, 08:35:30 am »
+1

Hop flavor also drops out with the yeast.
Frank

Offline HoosierBrew

• I must live here
  • Indianapolis,IN
« Reply #3 on: April 15, 2014, 08:40:01 am »
+1 to both.  Not a risk per se, but you'll lose hop aroma and flavor with fermentation off gassing, and with so much yeast present in primary fermentation still in suspension, some dry hop character gets absorbed by the yeast which in turn settle out. 
Jon H.

Offline kramerog

• Brewmaster General
    • My LinkedIn page
« Reply #4 on: April 15, 2014, 08:58:54 am »
Also yeast may change chemicals contributed by hops, not necessarily bad.

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #5 on: April 15, 2014, 09:00:26 am »

But bad enough, at least to me, that I rack to secondary before dry hopping these days.
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline HoosierBrew

• I must live here
  • Indianapolis,IN
« Reply #6 on: April 15, 2014, 09:02:07 am »

But bad enough, at least to me, that I rack to secondary before dry hopping these days.

+1
Jon H.

Offline hopfenundmalz

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Milford, MI
« Reply #7 on: April 15, 2014, 09:35:17 am »
There are 2 schools of thought.

Matt Brynildson says to add before the end, with one or 2 Plato to go. The yeast will transform some compounds, and you end up with higher levels of linalool and geranoil. So if you want floral notes, this is one way.

Vinnie Cilurzo says to crash and remove the yeast. This will keep the yeast from removing the essential oils that many are after.

So two pros use different techniques to achieve different results. I think one needs to decide what they want in the finished beer.
Jeff Rankert
AHA Lifetime Member
BJCP National
Ann Arbor Brewers Guild
Home-brewing, not just a hobby, it is a lifestyle!

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #8 on: April 15, 2014, 09:58:25 am »

Matt Brynildson says to add before the end, with one or 2 Plato to go. The yeast will transform some compounds, and you end up with higher levels of linalool and geranoil. So if you want floral notes, this is one way.

Vinnie Cilurzo says to crash and remove the yeast. This will keep the yeast from removing the essential oils that many are after.

So two pros use different techniques to achieve different results. I think one needs to decide what they want in the finished beer.

It's also a good argument for why you shouldn't slavishly do what any particular commercial brewer does.  Try various methods and decide for yourself.
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline hopfenundmalz

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Milford, MI
« Reply #9 on: April 15, 2014, 10:04:44 am »

Exactly, find the proceedures that get you to your goal. If the goal changes, you might want to do it differently.

It's also a good argument for why you shouldn't slavishly do what any particular commercial brewer does.  Try various methods and decide for yourself.
Jeff Rankert
AHA Lifetime Member
BJCP National
Ann Arbor Brewers Guild
Home-brewing, not just a hobby, it is a lifestyle!

Offline HoosierBrew

• I must live here
  • Indianapolis,IN
« Reply #10 on: April 15, 2014, 10:49:17 am »
I actually tried dry hopping in secondary after reading Stan's article in Zymurgy. I had dry hopped after high krausen for years and felt that I got good results. So I was a little skeptical that it would be worth the effort, but I did a split IPA batch and compared dry hop character. I liked Stan's method better and have done it since. But as said, it depends on what you like and look for in your hop character.
Jon H.

Offline flbrewer

• Brewmaster General
« Reply #11 on: April 15, 2014, 11:19:29 am »

I actually tried dry hopping in secondary after reading Stan's article in Zymurgy. I had dry hopped after high krausen for years and felt that I got good results. So I was a little skeptical that it would be worth the effort, but I did a split IPA batch and compared dry hop character. I liked Stan's method better and have done it since. But as said, it depends on what you like and look for in your hop character.
Was Stan's method to simply dry hop in secondary?

Offline flbrewer

• Brewmaster General
« Reply #12 on: April 15, 2014, 11:20:31 am »
Any advice on temp changes during dry hopping? I know most people say they raise temps to 70 while fermenting out.

Offline b-hoppy

• Assistant Brewer
« Reply #13 on: April 15, 2014, 11:25:14 am »
After seeing the Brynildson article, I began dumping an ounce into the primary right as it's nearing (or has hit) it's ending gravity.  Usually stays in for 5-6 days and then it's kegged.  Wonderful results in the last 4-5 batches!  Hop On~

Offline HoosierBrew

• I must live here
  • Indianapolis,IN
« Reply #14 on: April 15, 2014, 11:25:54 am »

Was Stan's method to simply dry hop in secondary?

It was to dry hop when the beer was fermented out (ie., pretty clear) in secondary - to be away from the majority of the yeast.
Jon H.