Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: emerald hops  (Read 2713 times)

Offline GWHAYDUKE

• 1st Kit
emerald hops
« on: April 15, 2014, 06:18:52 pm »
Is anyone able to give me some informaton about "Emerald Hops".  I had a rye that had as an ingredient, emerald hops and I haven't been able to find any info.  I would like to experiment with them iin mnext brew.

Offline HoosierBrew

• I must live here
  • Indianapolis,IN
Re: emerald hops
« Reply #1 on: April 15, 2014, 06:37:43 pm »
It looks as though Emerald hops also go by the name Smaragd hops. I saw that in 2 or 3 spots on the net. Named after the German word for 'emerald'.

http://www.brew-dudes.com/smaragd-hops/4972

I've used a lot of hops, but not this one (yet).  It sounds interesting - It's bred to be similar to Hallertau Mittelfrueh, so the floral notes are there, but it's described as fruity and spicy as well.
Jon H.

Offline GWHAYDUKE

• 1st Kit
« Reply #2 on: April 16, 2014, 12:55:43 pm »
Tk you for te information.  I guess Im now on a quest to find a source/distributor.  If no luck then I'll go with the subs.  Again, thanks

Offline Pawtucket Patriot

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Rebelling against cheap swill since 2005
    • Bauhaus Brew Labs
« Reply #3 on: April 16, 2014, 01:57:24 pm »
Is anyone able to give me some informaton about "Emerald Hops".  I had a rye that had as an ingredient, emerald hops and I haven't been able to find any info.  I would like to experiment with them iin mnext brew.

I've used Smaragd (this is just the German word for "emerald") hops quite a bit in the last year.  They are like hallertauer, as you'd expect, but they are lightly fruity with sort of a faint orange/citrus thing.  Very nice aroma hop.

Was the rye beer you had them in the Schell's Emerald Rye?
Matt Schwandt | Minneapolis, MN
AHA Member

Partial-Mash Pictorial
All-Grain Pictorial

Offline GWHAYDUKE

• 1st Kit
« Reply #4 on: April 17, 2014, 06:00:58 pm »
Pawtucket Patriot you hit just right.  Schell's from New Elm, Mn.  I haven't been able to find it here on the front range in Colorado, but I have family in Omaha and they can get the Emerald Rye.  It has such an interesting profile that I am considering using them in my next batch. 

• Senior Brewmaster
    • Bauhaus Brew Labs
« Reply #5 on: April 19, 2014, 08:24:02 am »
Pawtucket Patriot you hit just right.  Schell's from New Elm, Mn.  I haven't been able to find it here on the front range in Colorado, but I have family in Omaha and they can get the Emerald Rye.  It has such an interesting profile that I am considering using them in my next batch.

I love Emerald Rye.  I think Schell's is making some of the best beer in Minnesota, but they frequently get overlooked because they're perceived as a legacy/nostalgia brand among younger craft consumers.

I don't think you'll regret experimenting with Smaragd.  I've had the best results using them as a late flavor addition (~20 minutes) and as a flameout/whirlpool hop.  Good luck!
AHA Member

Partial-Mash Pictorial
All-Grain Pictorial

Offline GWHAYDUKE

• 1st Kit
« Reply #6 on: April 29, 2014, 03:53:49 pm »
Thanks for the information. I've found a that Northern Brewer has Smaragd as well as one place locally. I'm a little old school so the "legacy/nostalgia" tag is right up my alley.  Schell's Emerald Rye
 is at the top of my list and I tell all my friends to try it when they get the chance.

Offline morticaixavier

• I must live here
  • Underhill VT
    • The Best Artist in the WORLD!!!!!
« Reply #7 on: April 29, 2014, 04:33:14 pm »
I just got 6 oz of this to try out in an IPA. not traditional but what the heck.
"Creativity is the residue of wasted time"
-A Einstein

"errors are [...] the portals of discovery"
- J Joyce

Offline HoosierBrew

• I must live here
  • Indianapolis,IN
« Reply #8 on: April 29, 2014, 04:42:01 pm »
FWIW, I like to mix in a non traditional IPA hop into a blend fairly often - as something in the background, the thing you like but can't put your finger on. I've used about all the Hallertau derived hops (of which Emerald is one), Saaz, Motueka ( Saaz derived), etc.  I love Mt Hood in an IPA, as part of the blend. I think the Smaragd will work really well as an accent.
Jon H.

• Senior Brewmaster
    • Bauhaus Brew Labs
« Reply #9 on: April 30, 2014, 08:45:24 am »
FWIW, I like to mix in a non traditional IPA hop into a blend fairly often - as something in the background, the thing you like but can't put your finger on. I've used about all the Hallertau derived hops (of which Emerald is one), Saaz, Motueka ( Saaz derived), etc.  I love Mt Hood in an IPA, as part of the blend. I think the Smaragd will work really well as an accent.

Totally agree -- style guidelines be darned!
AHA Member

Partial-Mash Pictorial
All-Grain Pictorial