Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Hop sediment  (Read 6478 times)

Offline Joe Sr.

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Chicago - NORTH SIDE
Re: Hop sediment
« Reply #15 on: April 24, 2014, 08:04:01 am »
I can tell you I hate judging a beer in a competition where it's 'pulpy' like orange juice lol.

This happens?  Do people not sample before they submit?
It's all in the reflexes. - Jack Burton

Offline klickitat jim

• I must live here
« Reply #16 on: April 24, 2014, 08:12:10 am »
I can tell you I hate judging a beer in a competition where it's 'pulpy' like orange juice lol.

Why would anyone do that? Isn't that the judges job? What are we paying them for? If we have to taste our own beer might as well save the money.

:-X

Offline Jeff M

• Brewmaster
  • Currently upgrading to Brewery 3.0
« Reply #17 on: April 24, 2014, 08:28:23 am »
I see brewers with decades of brewing under their belt that dont know what ferm control or a yeast starter is, why would they know what coldcrashing or post secondary fining is?  Is not the point of a competition to submit your beer and get it critiqued by a more advanced brewer?
Granite Coast Brewing Company.
Building a clone of The Electric Brewery to use as a pilot system for new recipes!

Offline Joe Sr.

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Chicago - NORTH SIDE
« Reply #18 on: April 24, 2014, 08:44:53 am »
I see brewers with decades of brewing under their belt that dont know what ferm control or a yeast starter is, why would they know what coldcrashing or post secondary fining is?  Is not the point of a competition to submit your beer and get it critiqued by a more advanced brewer?

Sure.  But pulpy like OJ to me is something obviously off.  I've never had a pulpy commercial beer and am unaware of a style that should be pulpy.

I'm no strict adherent to style, but I would think if you're submitting to a competition your sending in something you think is good and meets the style, rather than just sending in random samples to get a critique.

Apparently people do that.  I find it surprising.
It's all in the reflexes. - Jack Burton

Offline dkfick

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #19 on: April 24, 2014, 08:55:22 am »

I've had it as bad as half a bottle of whole leaf hops.  Like they dry hopped it with loose whole leaf hops directly in the bottle.
BJCP A0936 National Beer Judge and Mead Judge
Cicerone Certified Beer Server
AHA Member
CRAFT Homebrew Club
Sons of Liberty Homebrew Club
HBT "mors"

Offline Steve L

• Brewmaster
  • Rocky Mount, VA
« Reply #20 on: April 24, 2014, 12:50:39 pm »
Next time you go to rack into your bottling bucket you can place a piece of sanitized nylons around the end of the racking cane, it works as a great filter medium as they are very fine.

Since I just toss my hops in for dry hopping I use a nylon like this and it not only filters out all the hops but does a great job on the yeast as well without effecting the ability to properly carbonate.

By nylon... you mean women's hose? and if so, how do you attach it to the siphon?
Corripe Cervisiam

Offline HoosierBrew

• I must live here
  • Indianapolis,IN
« Reply #21 on: April 24, 2014, 12:53:01 pm »
Next time you go to rack into your bottling bucket you can place a piece of sanitized nylons around the end of the racking cane, it works as a great filter medium as they are very fine.

Since I just toss my hops in for dry hopping I use a nylon like this and it not only filters out all the hops but does a great job on the yeast as well without effecting the ability to properly carbonate.

By nylon... you mean women's hose? and if so, how do you attach it to the siphon?

Yep, works great - rubber band it 'round the racking cane and soak in starsan.
Jon H.

Offline Steve L

• Brewmaster
  • Rocky Mount, VA
« Reply #22 on: April 24, 2014, 01:15:38 pm »

Cool. I like that idea better than using the copper scrubby on the end of the siphon. I'm always afraid I'll scratch it up.
Corripe Cervisiam

Offline erockrph

• I must live here
  • Chepachet, RI
    • The Hop WHisperer
« Reply #23 on: April 24, 2014, 03:25:52 pm »

+1 - although I prefer to use zip-ties instead of rubber bands since I'm afraid the rubber might affect the flavor.

Nylons are a great tool to have in the brewery. I also use them as a juryrigged hopback - stuff one with an ounce or so of hop cones, then zip tie it to the end of your tubing as you rack from the kettle to the fermenter. It helps filter out trub. It may impart some hop character as well, although I'm not sold on this since it's chilled wort that I'm passing through the hops..
Eric B.

Finally got around to starting a homebrewing blog: The Hop Whisperer

Offline HoosierBrew

• I must live here
  • Indianapolis,IN
« Reply #24 on: April 24, 2014, 03:32:04 pm »
Yeah, when I line my fermenter bucket with a paint strainer bag to filter, it's a non-issue. When I use a piece of hose , I use zip ties or sometimes a rubber band . I agree it seems it could give an off flavor, just never found it to be the case.
Jon H.