Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Another Starter Question  (Read 8324 times)

S. cerevisiae

Re: Another Starter Question
« Reply #60 on: April 21, 2014, 08:24:12 pm »
We also get their rejected malt.  The megas have tight tolerances for malt.  Anything that falls outside of those tolerances gets rejected.  Rejected malt finds its way into less demanding distribution channels. 

Speaking of Briess, Briess 2-Row is one of the most inconsistent malts in the homebrew trade.  Some bags make great beer.  Other bags produce beer that is not so great.  I seriously doubt that AB Inbev accepts the latter type of malt from Briess when they purchase 2-Row.

Offline Thirsty_Monk

• Brewmaster General
  • Eau Claire WI
    • Lazy Monk Brewing
« Reply #61 on: April 21, 2014, 08:28:51 pm »

I do not agree that homebrewers or small brewers get inferior raw material. Quality is very good over all.

I definitely don't think it's inferior, but what undeniably does happen is that the large breweries dictate the specs for the suppliers. We small/home brewers get the diastatic power, alpha acids, etc. that the big boys want, whether we want that or not.
Yes. I agree.

Na Zdravie

Lazy Monk Brewing
http://www.lazymonkbrewing.com

Offline hopfenundmalz

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Milford, MI
« Reply #62 on: April 21, 2014, 08:36:40 pm »
The young guy I judged Cat 10 last Sat was from a large well known brewery in Chicago. He said the Cascade they get is super ark.atic coated to what we get. Not saying what we get is bad, but the big brewers take the Prime Cuts.
Jeff Rankert
AHA Lifetime Member
BJCP National
Ann Arbor Brewers Guild
Home-brewing, not just a hobby, it is a lifestyle!

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #63 on: April 22, 2014, 09:06:57 am »
I do not agree that homebrewers or small brewers get inferior raw material. Quality is very good over all.

I agree.  When I buy malt, it comes from the same lots that the major breweries get.
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #64 on: April 22, 2014, 09:09:11 am »
The young guy I judged Cat 10 last Sat was from a large well known brewery in Chicago. He said the Cascade they get is super ark.atic coated to what we get. Not saying what we get is bad, but the big brewers take the Prime Cuts.

OTOH, I know for a fact that a lot of those prime cuts are available to homebrewers if they have the right source.
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell