Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Help with Hazelnut Brown Ale  (Read 12357 times)

Offline 69franx

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Bloatarian Brewing League
Help with Hazelnut Brown Ale
« on: April 16, 2014, 11:36:30 am »
I am looking to make a hazelnut brown ale. I have tried Rogue's and a local offering. My question is the hazelnut flavor. The Rogue website claims 14 ingredients in their version and hazelnut extract is not listed. For the local brew, I have an approximate malt bill and know the yeast. I am wondering if the flavor comes solely from the malt and yeast then, or is the recipe in need of extra help for that flavor. Rogue lists: "2-Row, Munich, C15, C75, C120, Kiln Coffee, Brown and Rogue Farms Dare™ & Risk™ Malts; Rogue Farms Revolution™ & Independent™ Hops; Free Range Coastal Water & Pacman Yeast." And the local says it is 2 Row, Dark wheat, Honey malt, and chocolate malt. No percentages listed either, so i am planning on several small batches to try to get it right. Any thoughts on the hazelnut flavor would be most helpful
Frank L.
Fermenting: Nothing (ugh!)
Conditioning: Nothing (UGH!)
In keg: Nothing (Double UGH!)
In the works:  House IPA, Dark Mild, Ballantine Ale clone(still trying to work this one into the schedule)

Offline Pinski

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Portland, Oregon
Re: Help with Hazelnut Brown Ale
« Reply #1 on: April 16, 2014, 11:40:39 am »
My SO made the Rogue Kit a couple years ago and it turned out really nice. The kit came with I'm guessing a 2 oz. bottle of BrewCraft Hazelnut extract.  The flavor is good. I wouldn't recommend using any more than half of the bottle of extract in a 5 gallon batch. 
Steve Carper
Green Dragon Brewers
Clubs: Oregon Brew Crew & Strange Brew
BJCP Certified

Offline 69franx

« Reply #2 on: April 16, 2014, 11:49:25 am »
Thanks for the prompt response Pinski, I found links about that kit on here, was just wondering if the breweries are getting the same result without the extract, just from grist, hops, and yeast?
Frank L.
In the works:  House IPA, Dark Mild, Ballantine Ale clone(still trying to work this one into the schedule)

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #3 on: April 16, 2014, 11:54:10 am »
It just so happens I got the recipe from John for the "Craft Beer for the Homebrewer" book (buy the book!).  Here it is, straight from the brewmaster's fingers.....

Rogue Brewmaster John Maier started out as a homebrewer and he and Rogue have always been big supporters of homebrewers.   Several of Rogue’s most popular recipes have homebrew roots, and their Hazelnut Brown Nectar is one of the best examples of that.  From a recipe created by homebrewer Chris Studach of the Cascade Brewers Society in Eugene OR, Hazelnut Brown Nectar has turned into one of Rogue’s most popular beers, winning many awards worldwide.  The picture on the bottle is a caricature of Chris, giving rise to the beer’s nickname “Bald Guy Brown”.

OG:   1.057
FG:   1.016
ABV:   5.6%
IBU:   25
SRM:   26.2
Crush and steep in 2.75 gallons (10.41 L) of 152°F (66.66°C) water for 60 minutes:
2 lb. (.9 kg) Great Western Munich 10L
1.5 lb. (.68 kg) Great Western Crystal 75L
9 oz. (.25 kg) Great Western Crystal 15L
9 oz. (.25 kg) Great Western Crystal 120L
11 oz. (.31 kg) Baird Brown Malt
4 oz. (.11 kg) Franco-Belges Kiln Coffee Malt
½ tsp. Northwestern hazelnut extract (see note)
Strain the grain into your brew pot and sparge with 1 gallon (3.78 L) of water at 160°F (71.11°C).  Bring the wort to a boil, remove from heat, and add:
 3.75 lb. (1.7 kg) light dry malt extract.
Stir well until the extract is dissolved.  Add water as needed to bring the volume to 3 gallons (11.35 L).  Bring the wort to a rolling boil.  Boil for 10 minutes, and then add:
1.2 oz. (34 g) Perle pellets hops (8.7% AA)
Boil for 60 minutes and then add:
.5 oz. (14.17 g) Sterling pellet hops (8.7% AA)
Remove from heat and let hops steep for 10 min.  Then chill as quickly as possible to below 80°F (26.66°C).  Transfer the wort to fermenter and add cold water to bring the total volume to 5 gallons (18.92 L).  The temperature should be below 70°F (21.11°C) at this point.  Aerate wort and pitch an appropriately sized starter of Wyeast 1764 Pacman yeast. 
Ferment at 60-65°F (15.55-18.33°C) until final gravity is reached.   You can either leave the beer in primary for 3 weeks, or transfer to a secondary fermenter for a week after final gravity is reached in the primary.  Bottle when fermentation is complete with 4 oz. (.11 kg) corn sugar or keg and force carbonate to 2.5 vol. CO2.  Add ½ teaspoon of Northwestern hazelnut extract at bottling or kegging.

All Grain Instructions
Replace extract with 7.75 lb. (3.51 kg) Great Western 2 row pale malt (approximately 1.8-2L).  Crush the grain and mash all grain at 152°F (66.66°C) using 5.75 gallons (21.76 L) of water.  Sparge with enough water at 180°F (82.22°C) to reach your intended boil volume. 
Note:  According to Brewmaster John Maier at Rogue Ales, Northwestern hazelnut extract is more potent than other brands.  If you use another brand, you’ll have to add it gradually at packaging and taste to ascertain the proper amount.
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline Pinski

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Portland, Oregon
« Reply #4 on: April 16, 2014, 12:10:43 pm »
Thanks Denny, I'd love to try the all-grain version sometime. Looking forward to picking up a copy of the book too!
Steve Carper
Green Dragon Brewers
Clubs: Oregon Brew Crew & Strange Brew
BJCP Certified

Offline 69franx

« Reply #5 on: April 16, 2014, 12:26:32 pm »
Thanks Denny! Looks great!
Frank L.

Offline yso191

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Yakima, WA
« Reply #6 on: April 16, 2014, 01:51:30 pm »
Just bought it.  Looking for more inspiration for some great beers!
Steve
BJCP #D1667

“Fallacies do not cease to be fallacies because they become fashions.” ― G.K. Chesterton

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #7 on: April 16, 2014, 02:22:23 pm »
Just bought it.  Looking for more inspiration for some great beers!

Yeah, I'm enjoying the ideas to get me out of my brewing rut!
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline jaftak22

• Assistant Brewer
« Reply #8 on: April 18, 2014, 07:36:24 pm »
This one looks good, going to try it