About once a year I brew Mdixon's Wit or Without recipe. Makes a great wit but I always forget just what a huge pain in the butt this is.
I batch sparge but this calls for incremental steps. So, I put it in the boil pot and boiled the wheat for 20 mins or so. Then I added a bunch of cold water and the barley which worked out great to bring it down to the 104F acid rest stop.
But after that I went for 122 by heating slowly, stirring and checking and missed it by a bit. Hit about 128-130 before I got stopped heating. Oh well, wrapped in coats and left for 1/2 an hour.
Now I've ramped it to 153 paying more attention and wrapped it up again.
Next step is to mash out at 170.
Then I have to put it all into the cooler, heat up some more water for sparging, lauter etc. Seems like I've been all morning and I'm not even to the boil stage yet.
But, it makes a great beer so it's all worth it.