Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Whirlpool Rest  (Read 4268 times)

Offline klickitat jim

• I must live here
Re: Whirlpool Rest
« Reply #15 on: April 16, 2014, 10:32:49 am »
Agreed with that. Its not my way or highway. What you are saying makes sense, im just not seeing the damage they are warning about.

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #16 on: April 16, 2014, 11:30:01 am »
Agreed with that. Its not my way or highway. What you are saying makes sense, im just not seeing the damage they are warning about.

Neither am I.  I've been using a pump for about 1 1/2-2 years now and there has been no change in my beer because of it.  So either I don't have a problem or my evaluation isn't good enough to notice a difference.
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline klickitat jim

• I must live here
« Reply #17 on: April 16, 2014, 12:49:41 pm »
There's that too. Once someone secretly switched my coffee with Folgers Crustals... didn't even notice.

Offline Stevie

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
« Reply #18 on: April 16, 2014, 01:45:13 pm »
...Once someone secretly switched my coffee with Folgers Crustals... didn't even notice.

I call shenanigans. I broke my french press and had to use crystals for a few days. While not nasty, they are not good.

Offline klickitat jim

• I must live here
« Reply #19 on: April 16, 2014, 01:46:18 pm »
You got me. Crystals are verboten

Offline morticaixavier

• I must live here
  • Underhill VT
    • The Best Artist in the WORLD!!!!!
« Reply #20 on: April 16, 2014, 01:54:16 pm »
there is one swanky brand of crystal espresso that's not bad at all. still tastes a bit burnt but it's espresso right? even get's a little crema (not sure how they manage that). I'll have to look in the pantry when I get home.
"Creativity is the residue of wasted time"
-A Einstein

"errors are [...] the portals of discovery"
- J Joyce

Offline HoosierBrew

• I must live here
  • Indianapolis,IN
« Reply #21 on: April 16, 2014, 01:58:08 pm »
You got me. Crystals are verboten

Yeah, you get the caffeine but the flavor is ..ummm.. subpar.  Some might say s@#^^y.
Jon H.

Offline orangehero

• 1st Kit
« Reply #22 on: April 17, 2014, 02:11:45 am »
90% of why I pump whirlpool is rapid cooling. The remaining 10% is keeping the surface moving for DMS off gassing, and last of al a trub cone. Figure of speech of course, I haven't really done the math. Ive noticed no ill effects to body or anything else. Just my experience though.

I think my initial reaction was that you have the priorities wrong. Were you having problems with DMS before you started pumping for the duration of the boil? Why not just run a 90 minute boil? It would seem to have no real benefit and only potential issues.

So by your math the trub cone is 0% of the reason you whirlpool?  ;)

But it looks like you've already addressed that, so I'll bow out of your thread now.
« Last Edit: April 17, 2014, 02:24:01 am by orangehero »

Offline klickitat jim

• I must live here
« Reply #23 on: April 17, 2014, 06:30:51 am »
I do a 90 min boil with pilsner malts. And by my math trub cone is part of the 10%... see the word AND between DMS and trube cone?

In any event im convinced that the rapid cooling of the whole wort that I get with my whirlpool IC benefits the beer more than the pump hurts it.