Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Do the Large Commerical Breweries Brew Specifically for Competitions?  (Read 2094 times)

Offline jweiss206

• Assistant Brewer
Just curious? I was perusing the World Beer Awards and saw that Redhook's ESB won for it's category. Now the Redhook ESB's I'm familiar with wouldn't win any awards in a Homebrew Competition with 7 entries. It got me to thinking, do these larger breweries brew smaller batches for their competition beers or different recipes all together?

Offline klickitat jim

• I must live here
Re: Do the Large Commerical Breweries Brew Specifically for Competitions?
« Reply #1 on: April 22, 2014, 04:47:33 pm »
I beleive they have way more styles in the pro world. In my opinion, redhook seems more APA than ESB, but I don't want to argue it.

What is it about Redhhok ESB that you think would make it lose?

Offline gmac

• Brewmaster General
  • London, Ontario
« Reply #2 on: April 22, 2014, 08:00:26 pm »
We are starting the Canadian Brewing Award judging tomorrow.  Over 1000 entries, 4 days of judging.  I do know from some in the industry that they do make some special brews for competitions, almost as a testing ground for potential future launches.  But, for the most part almost all of the commercial competitions I've judged (Ontario twice and Canada once before), have entered regular off-the-shelf entries.  It's surprising how some of them do when you aren't biased by knowing the brand.  Not that they are all good but judged blind, things do seem to change a bit.

Offline rjberry

• Cellarman
« Reply #3 on: April 23, 2014, 07:16:20 am »
I agree with gmac about not having bias while blind taste testing.  On the other hand, while an "off the shelf" sample seems the most legit for a commercial competition many get supplied by distributors or breweries themselves.  Even if they don't make special, small batches I'm sure they are giving the freshest brews to the competition.  That's a huge difference, especially for an ESB, which is a style that the average person would probably pass up on a store shelf and could easily have been a few months old the last time you tried it and have substantially reduced hop flavor compared to the fresh batch.
“We’re not here for the game. The game is nothing. The game is crap. The game makes me sick. The real reason we Americans put up with sports is for this: Behold, the tailgate party. The pinnacle of human achievement. Since the dawn of parking lots, man has sought to fill his gut with food and alcohol in anticipation of watching others exercise.” - Homer Simpson

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #4 on: April 23, 2014, 08:50:22 am »
No, I've never heard of a commercial brewery doing a special batch for large comp like that.
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline dkfick

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #5 on: April 23, 2014, 08:52:58 am »
Hmm maybe not particularly with large breweries... but lots of smaller breweries I think do this.  The award winning brew wins and it's a beer you've never heard of.
BJCP A0936 National Beer Judge and Mead Judge
Cicerone Certified Beer Server
AHA Member
CRAFT Homebrew Club
Sons of Liberty Homebrew Club
HBT "mors"

Offline SiameseMoose

• Assistant Brewer
  • Cincinnati, OH
« Reply #6 on: April 23, 2014, 11:04:00 am »
At least for a couple of brewpubs I know, when a batch turns out especially well some of it gets set aside for competition.

Offline Jimmy K

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Delaware
« Reply #7 on: April 23, 2014, 11:12:38 am »
Hmm maybe not particularly with large breweries... but lots of smaller breweries I think do this.  The award winning brew wins and it's a beer you've never heard of.
Not quite the same though. OP's asking about breweries entering a better beer as one of their normal products (like a great ESB as Redhook ESB). If they did that enough I think they'd get called out on it.
Delmarva United Homebrewers - President by inverse coup - former president ousted himself.
AHA Member since 2006
BJCP Certified: B0958

Offline jweiss206

• Assistant Brewer
« Reply #8 on: April 23, 2014, 11:48:18 am »
Not quite the same though. OP's asking about breweries entering a better beer as one of their normal products (like a great ESB as Redhook ESB). If they did that enough I think they'd get called out on it.

Yep, that's what I was wondering about. I just used Redhook ESB as an example as I live in their neck of the woods. I'm sure the bottles I usually have are indeed months old, and by that time wouldn't win anything. That's why I was curious if they went out of their way to make sure competitions get the freshest brews, or hoppier versions etc. etc. Never known the answer is all.

Offline dkfick

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #9 on: April 23, 2014, 12:13:58 pm »
Ah, yeah I misunderstood.  I don't think breweries are pulling fast ones and enterering a different beer under their main beer names.  I would guess if Redhook brewed up a special ESB they would enter it under a different name than "Redhook ESB"
BJCP A0936 National Beer Judge and Mead Judge
Cicerone Certified Beer Server
AHA Member
CRAFT Homebrew Club
Sons of Liberty Homebrew Club
HBT "mors"

Offline jeffy

• Tampa, Fl
« Reply #10 on: April 23, 2014, 12:24:09 pm »
I've found that some of the bigger breweries will pull bottles off the line before they get to pasteurization to enter in competitions and some smaller breweries dry hop some of their regular beers before entering.
Jeff Gladish, Tampa (989.3, 175.1 Apparent Rennarian)
Homebrewing since 1990
AHA member since 1991, now a lifetime member
BJCP judge since 1995

Offline Jimmy K

• Delaware
« Reply #11 on: April 23, 2014, 03:34:10 pm »
I'm sure they do everything they can to make sure it is the best example of their beer they can provide.

Sent from my XT1030 using Tapatalk

Delmarva United Homebrewers - President by inverse coup - former president ousted himself.
AHA Member since 2006
BJCP Certified: B0958

Offline tschmidlin

• I must live here
  • Redmond, WA
« Reply #12 on: April 30, 2014, 10:44:52 pm »
Ah, yeah I misunderstood.  I don't think breweries are pulling fast ones and enterering a different beer under their main beer names.  I would guess if Redhook brewed up a special ESB they would enter it under a different name than "Redhook ESB"
if it is entered as Redhook ESB it has to arrive in regular Redhook ESB labeled bottles.  Not to say they couldn't put a different beer in the bottle though.  If it is a beer that is not commercially available in bottles it can come with a generic label, but obviously that doesn't apply to Redhook ESB.
Tom Schmidlin